SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soniya123

Reaction score
I had a few questions I would love some answers to!

I’m new to the world of acrylics! I wanted to ask which would you say is easier to work with coloured acrylics OR polish on top of clear acrylics?

Would you have to apply a thin clear acrylic layer under coloured acrylic wouldn’t this make the nail thick?

If anyone has any experiences in pre shaped tips I’d love to hear them! I’m thinking for the stilleto & almond shapes to go for pre shaped however how would it work if you wanted to shorten them? Wouldn’t they loose there shape! Sounds silly I know Lol

Any tips would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance :)

Hello Firstly I would say that being newly qualified you should just focus on application and longevity. Don't try and dive into nail art and all the other fancy shapes till you can knock out and absolute perfect salon style enhancement. Some techs do use clear acrylic base for nail art to allow easy removal and Change when infilling. A few simple dots, gems etc is all you need right now though. I wanted to do it all when I first qualified. It's not possible. Good luck x

Hello Firstly I would say that being newly qualified you should just focus on application and longevity. Don't try and dive into nail art and all the other fancy shapes till you can knock out and absolute perfect salon style enhancement. Some techs do use clear acrylic base for nail art to allow easy removal and Change when infilling. A few simple dots, gems etc is all you need right now though. I wanted to do it all when I first qualified. It's not possible. Good luck x
Thanks! Would you kno what brand to start of with I’m inbetween glitter bells or Mia secret. Also do you think I should start with polish or coloured acrylics then thanks!x

I have also recently qualified and use Glitterbels. I love how easy it is to file and the colour range is wonderful. More importantly also long wearing! Xx

Start with gel on top of clear acrylic but get some good nudes and whites to get good at french! If you offer gel polish then you'll use your gel anyway so it's not a wasted purchase. Once you get good at doing basic sets (go crazy on your gel polish art & gems!) then move onto your coloured acrylics! Put your clear base down first, apply thin design work/glitter then build structure in clear. That's exactly what I did as I wasn't sure which route to take, gel or acrylic art - I've chosen acrylic art in the end and love it so it's totally worth the journey!!!

Great advice from MissJules - don't run before you can walk. Concentrate on building a beautiful, long-lasting nail before you spend too much time creating art.

And yes, if you were to cut the pre-shaped rips shorter, you would lose the shape.

Remember, the only silly question is the one you don't ask.

I had a few questions I would love some answers to!

I’m new to the world of acrylics! I wanted to ask which would you say is easier to work with coloured acrylics OR polish on top of clear acrylics?

Would you have to apply a thin clear acrylic layer under coloured acrylic wouldn’t this make the nail thick?

If anyone has any experiences in pre shaped tips I’d love to hear them! I’m thinking for the stilleto & almond shapes to go for pre shaped however how would it work if you wanted to shorten them? Wouldn’t they loose there shape! Sounds silly I know Lol

Any tips would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance :)
Yes u do need to apply a THIN coat of clear acrylic on the base before u apply colored acrylic bcuz if u don’t this can damage the nail by tinting the natural nail color so it’s always good to apply a thin coat before colored acrylic but make sure it’s thin and that way u won’t have to worry about the ail being thick

Gel polish is the easier option until you are confident with your application and structure.
If you are using coloured powders remember you need to remove all the bulk back to the clear base at every rebalance appointment. That is a lot of filing, when I hand filed it off I ended up with a frozen shoulder!

When applying ur acrylic and u see dints go over it with another bead of acrylic and smooth over everything.

When applying ur acrylic and u see dints go over it with another bead of acrylic and smooth over everything.
Also buffing over the nail

Latest posts

Back