new to gel nails, help meeeee!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozzimoos

Reaction score
hey,
basically i decided to buy myself a kit to try ouy gel nails having never tried before. i know many of you will say i should do a course bt how hard can it be!!
problem is, i cant even get the gel to stay on...sooo i have an 11w rio lamp i think and a sina kit. i have been doing thin layers then curing but it doesnt seem to be setting, it all wipes off when i cleanse. how long should i be curing for? also i dont have a primer/base coat, would this help?
this is what i have been trying,
1 - thin layer gel, cure for 10 mins ish
2- more gel, cure
3- more gel cure
4- wipe
hey presto, normal nail with no gel on!!! argh!
please help me im getting really frustrated!!

i am obv doing something seriously wrong

Last edited:
Well the first thing you are doing wrong is using a non professional nail lamp so bin it and get a professional one.:)

hey,
basically i decided to buy myself a kit to try ouy gel nails having never tried before. i know many of you will say i should do a course bt how hard can it be!!
problem is, i cant even get the gel to stay on...sooo i have an 11w rio lamp i think and a sina kit. i have been doing thin layers then curing but it doesnt seem to be setting, it all wipes off when i cleanse. how long should i be curing for? also i dont have a primer/base coat, would this help?
this is what i have been trying,
1 - thin layer gel, cure for 10 mins ish
2- more gel, cure
3- more gel cure
4- wipe
hey presto, normal nail with no gel on!!! argh!
please help me im getting really frustrated!!

i am obv doing something seriously wrong
How hard can it be? :rolleyes:
Do you realise how insulting that is? If you want to be able to do gel enhancments train and get some professional equipment...................
.........If it's so easy that you don't need to train, then you obviously shouldn't need to ask for help either.

Also get some training and then you will see "How hard it can be". This is a professional forum for people who have spent lots of money to train and are not going to give advice to a person who thinks they can play nails.

i totally agree with whats been said. rio isnt a professional brand thats why any joe public can buy it,that being said we would not be able to give any advice anyway as none of us use that brand on here as we are professionals who need a professional brand.
i would seriously recommend that if you enjoy doing nails then why not get some professional training,its not just about being able to do nails its also for you to be able to know about the brand/product you are using and also so you dont do any serious damage to your own nails,which can easily happen,can be permanant and also very painful.so in the long run its for your own benefit.xxx

gels are easy when you know how, you really should do a gel course, i know it may be extra money but its worth it, sina is not a very good product try something proffessional, ibd, creative, there are lots out there, 11w lamp is not enough thats why your gel is not cureing, go do a course get some good products and a better lamp and youll be on the way to beautiful gel nails

Well you have answered your own question hun...:lol:...now you can see how hard it can be, cos you cant do it and you wont be able to do it unless you get some training.

The professionally trained nail techs make it look easy because of the training and experience behind them.

There are lots of threads on here about training if you are interested.

How hard can it be? :rolleyes:
Do you realise how insulting that is? If you want to be able to do gel enhancments train and get some professional equipment...................
.........If it's so easy that you don't need to train, then you obviously shouldn't need to ask for help either.

I dont think the answer you gave to LOZZIMOOS was warranted!
Not everyone who wants/would like to do nails can afford a course, had it crossed your mind that she had bought a cheap kit, to see if she would like to do nails then probably consider a nail course at a later date!!!

I think your reply could of been somewhat more professional!!!!

Angie

I dont think the answer you gave to LOZZIMOOS was warranted!
Not everyone who wants/would like to do nails can afford a course, had it crossed your mind that she had bought a cheap kit, to see if she would like to do nails then probably consider a nail course at a later date!!!

I think your reply could of been somewhat more professional!!!!

Angie

If someone doesn't want or cant afford to do a course then they shouldn't be doing nails....The advise given was proffesional...get training.

There are lots of things i would like to have a go at but cant afford so i dont...do people by a pair of scissors and just think I'll be a hairdresser...???

Unfortunately its people who try out nails with no training or experience and make a hash of it that gives US a bad name.

Also there is the insurance factor to consider.

i only wanted a bit of advice i was just having a play about for gods sake no need to go on.

and i didnt realise this was a PROFESSIONAL ONLY site as it came up in a search engine.
what a lovely bunch of people you are

and i didn't realise this was a PROFESSIONAL ONLY site as it came up in a search engine.

Why...? cos we didn't say what you wanted us to say.

Ok...what is it you want...? for us to train you over the net...? its not a case of just 1 or 2 things that you may be doing wrong...we would have to start right at the beginnig..with the basics..and many of these things you wouldn't understand...so we would then have explain that...

do a full prep....whats a prep...cap the free edge...whats capping...build in zone 2...whats zone 2....................see what i mean.

We are a lovely bunch, and we are giving you the best advise for you and that is to get some training or find a good nail tech to do your nails.

and i didnt realise this was a PROFESSIONAL ONLY site as it came up in a search engine.

If you look at the top of the screen where the forum logo is it says underneath what it is.

People aren't 'going on', it's just that people have trained and spent a lot of money to do so. I know I personally really struggled to afford what training I did and to fit it around my family but I managed it in the end. Most of it anyway. Like you, especially as I had been having my nails done for years, had watched my tech and thought it looks easy enough. Bought try me kits online and realised very quickly it might look easy but it isn't! One of the major things was I was following what I had seen my lady doing but the products I bought were not the same as hers. I was missing out steps that if I had trained with the system I bought I would have known about. I went on to train in the products I bought online and day one of my course was full of wake up calls.

I don't do gels so I couldn't help anyway but even if you had asked about L&P I wouldn't have advised you. I know from personal experience how badly you can damage your nails with out realising. Helpful hints might help you to get the gel to stay on but there is soooo much more to it than that. Training teaches you about your natural nails, anatomy and lots more. All important. Damage your nails enough and products will not work on them as they should either. By advising you we could do you more harm than good.

:hug::hug:

If someone doesn't want or cant afford to do a course then they shouldn't be doing nails....The advise given was proffesional...get training.

There are lots of things i would like to have a go at but cant afford so i dont...do people by a pair of scissors and just think I'll be a hairdresser...???

Unfortunately its people who try out nails with no training or experience and make a hash of it that gives US a bad name.

Also there is the insurance factor to consider.

I agree and understand what your saying Angie, but I dont think that people have to answer in such a rude way! Im sure LOOZIMOOS question could of been answered more politely!!

Angie

I Understand You Want Some Advice But I Think You Got Up A Few Peoples Noses By Saying How Hard Can It Be!! It Is Hard When You Dont Know How And Theres So Much To Learn If Your Just Doing It For Yourself Be Very Careful As You Can Really Damage Your Nails If Its Not Done Correctly Invest In Training If You Intend To Work On The Public And If You Just Want A Beautiful Set Of Talons For Yourself Go To The Local Salon X

i had rio lamp my mate gave me the kit she gave up on it!!! but i done a beauty course i thought i try it, but i have to amit u need a better lamp!! U can go to a wholesalers, and get one for about £40!! and sallys hair and beauty open to public they do kits in there, one of then even has the instructions they do courses cheap, if u want a basic course.. if u find u want to do it then you can carry on and do a better course.. I learnt my self with a pro kit!! And i shall be doing a course after i got some money!!

End day i can see where the geeks are coming from, you need to learn how to do it pro!!

i had rio lamp my mate gave me the kit she gave up on it!!! but i done a beauty course i thought i try it, but i have to amit u need a better lamp!! U can go to a wholesalers, and get one for about £40!! and sallys hair and beauty open to public they do kits in there, one of then even has the instructions they do courses cheap, if u want a basic course.. if u find u want to do it then you can carry on and do a better course.. I learnt my self with a pro kit!! And i shall be doing a course after i got some money!!

End day i can see where the geeks are coming from, you need to learn how to do it pro!!

It's not about having the wrong lamp, it's about attempting something the OP is not trained to do and has no idea how to do........ Rio is crap, but tbh she could have the full Brisa Pro Kit and her nails would still 'fall off'.

Training is the only way......

Oooooh boy! Learning gel is not easy!!!

I'd been told that gel was easier than L&P because you can 'work it' more then when you're happy with it zap it under the lamp! CRIKEY WAS I WRONG!!!!!! It's a very different skill to try to master and I've still not got it yet! :(

Also I've paid a LOT of money for training and I'm STILL not taking paying customers as I'm still nowhere near good enough. It's turning out to be a VERY expensive hobby at the moment. :irked:

Latest posts

Back