New to gel...need some advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraceyJoJo

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help please?

I'm getting a bit confused at what order to do a full set of gels in! Only done 2 sets so far but taking me ages waiting for each one to cure. Can anyone offer a different approach please? I'm using EzFlow Gel It!

Here's what I'm doing...

Prep both hands
Apply slick layer to pinkie on right hand, then reverse application pink, then freeze
While freezing, repeat on left pinkie
Apply white to right pinkie - freeze, repeat on left
Apply clear to right and cure for 3 mins....now this is where I'm stuck! I apply clear to left hand, but then have to wait a few mins doing nothing waiting for the right finger to finish curing so I can cure the left. Confused yet?!

Is it ok to just freeze it, continue with full set and then do the 3 min cure, one hand at a time (4 fingers and opposite thumb then change over)? Or is there a really obvious thing I'm overlooking?

Another question....Does anyone know if gel works out about the same cost as l&p?

And the top coat (sorry, going on a bit here!)....How many full sets do you get out of a bottle of Finish It? Just wondering how much extra to charge, for example, if someone wants this over l&p? ( for non EzFlow geeks, its the same size as a polish bottle if that helps)

And (last one, I promise!) if someone doesn't want the top gloss over the gel, can you buff to shine instead?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks xx

Another question....Does anyone know if gel works out about the same cost as l&p?

And (last one, I promise!) if someone doesn't want the top gloss over the gel, can you buff to shine instead?
I use L&P and I don't no much about gel, i was only tought a small amount in college, i can help you out with 2 of your questions.
Gel is more expensive then L&P as you need a lamp and also the Gel is dearer then acrylic powder, it is with CND anyway!

Yes gel can be buffed to a shine instead of a gloss top coat,how ever I was tought that it is best to seal it, you can buy a matt top coat and use it instead of the gloss.

I hope that helps you,but I'm sure other geeks who use Gel will let you know more when they come online.

Thanks for your help Amanda.

Here's what I'm doing...

Prep both hands
Apply slick layer to pinkie on right hand, then reverse application pink, then freeze
Apply white to right pinkie - freeze, repeat on left
Apply clear to right and cure for 3 mins....now this is where I'm stuck! I apply clear to left hand, but then have to wait a few mins doing nothing waiting for the right finger to finish curing so I can cure the left. Confused yet?!

What do you mean by 'slick layer'?
I do it like this (for p&w)
Prep nails
Apply bonder (I use a liquid protein bonder & then the gel bonder of another brand instead of primer as I'm uncomfortable with primer and prefer my results with bonder as I never got on with primer) or primer in your case.
Cure for 30 seconds
Apply white to one nail, freeze
Move on to the next nail and repeat for all 5
Then apply clear-it to all 5, freezing in between each.
THEN I do the full cure.

While that hand is curing for 3minutes, I prep the other hand.
And when it's done, I commence with the newly prepped and bonded hand.
When that hand is in the lamp, I finish file the one that just finished curing.

I don't do reverse, so can't help you there. I haven't used the pink much...
Most clients don't like those shades of pink and prefer the clear as it doesn't show when it grows out.

hths

Yes you can freeze the gel on each finger till all fingers are done then cure for your designated curing time, I say designated as different systems have different curing times. Remeber the thumbs are alway's last. hope this helps

Ask Judy1999, she's AWESOME and the one that helped me with glitches and she KNOWS her stuff.

hth's

Hello, can anyone help please?

I'm getting a bit confused at what order to do a full set of gels in! Only done 2 sets so far but taking me ages waiting for each one to cure. Can anyone offer a different approach please? I'm using EzFlow Gel It!

Here's what I'm doing...

Prep both hands
Apply slick layer to pinkie on right hand, then reverse application pink, then freeze - slick layer of what?
Apply white to right pinkie - freeze, repeat on left - do you do a full cure for the pink and white before applying the clear? Also, in my system, white needs a minute longer than pink, it's fine to freeze your whites to 'set' the smile or your pink if your building an apex etc. but they do need to be fully cured before applying another layer of gel.
Apply clear to right and cure for 3 mins....now this is where I'm stuck! I apply clear to left hand, but then have to wait a few mins doing nothing waiting for the right finger to finish curing so I can cure the left. Confused yet?! - do you do finger by finger? It might be easier to do hand by hand, freezing each nail after application to set it while you apply product to the other nail, then cure a full hand for the time your system requires. Then while it is curing you can work on the other hand.

Is it ok to just freeze it, continue with full set and then do the 3 min cure, one hand at a time (4 fingers and opposite thumb then change over)? Or is there a really obvious thing I'm overlooking?

Another question....Does anyone know if gel works out about the same cost as l&p? - I dont work with L&P, but I think after you've bought the lamp it's a much of a muchness.

And the top coat (sorry, going on a bit here!)....How many full sets do you get out of a bottle of Finish It? Just wondering how much extra to charge, for example, if someone wants this over l&p? ( for non EzFlow geeks, its the same size as a polish bottle if that helps)

And (last one, I promise!) if someone doesn't want the top gloss over the gel, can you buff to shine instead? - I normally have to file a little after I've done a full set, just with a white block to make sure everythings nice and smooth, i dont think i could get away with buffing it up to shine and it's also a lot more work. Iv not come accross anyone who doesnt love a nice glossy finished nail.

Hope this makes sense! - hope I made sense...lol and didnt get your questions confused!

Thanks xx

I'll just quickly go through my application.

Prep
I dont use bonder, some find it helps with adhering the gel to the nail, not for me though.
white - freezing each nail for a couple of seconds before a full cure
Builder gel (clear or natural) - cure
pink or clear, which ever the person wants - cure
another layer of above this time taking it over the white - cure
remove sticky layre
buff or smooth
finishing gloss - cure

Thank you so much for all your replies:hug:

Victoria, slick layer is the 1st thin layer of gel thats worked into the nail, at least thats what my educator called it!

I'll give your one hand at a time way a go next time and see how it goes, sounds a bit quicker. Thank you:hug:

ooooh, slick layer of bonder!! With bonder, slick is the last thing it should be, it should almost be scrubbed into the nn and even dabbed off if still too wet. I know that wasnt your question...sorry:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all your replies:hug:

Victoria, slick layer is the 1st thin layer of gel thats worked into the nail, at least thats what my educator called it!

I'll give your one hand at a time way a go next time and see how it goes, sounds a bit quicker. Thank you:hug:

Gel that's "worked into" the nail is 'bonder gel' and as said, bonder gel shouldnt be slick. HOWEVER if you were trained using EZ FLow Gel-it system, THEN you should be using EZ Flow PRIMER and not a bonder from another system (yes, I do that, but that's not how the system was put together, and as parents say "do as I say and not as I do" LOL:lol: and when learning or training, do as the system says. When you've more experience, then you can play)

OR did you train using a different gel system?

Yes, doing one hand at a time speeds it up so that you can work on the other hand, doing other stuff, while one hand cures. No "down" time.
Also, can't say as I think much of an educator that doesn't use the correct terms. When correct terminology is not used, it causes all sorts of confusion :confused:

best of luck and keep us posted.:hug:

Hi Victoria

Just to clarify, I prep, apply primer...let it dry, apply very thin layer of pink (blush it! in this case) work it into nail then apply more blush it! in reverse application, freeze, then white, freeze, then clear it! etc.

I trained with EzFlow (and my educator is very hot on terminology) and have just checked the instructions that came with the kit, this is what it says...

...brush a thin layer of pink it! to the entire nail surface, do not cure. Pick up a medium-sized ball of product and place in the centre of the nail. Roll the product off towards the free edge. Using a light touch pull the product towards the cuticle area and sidewalls. Continue to pull priduct toward free edge. Place hand under light for 1 min.....

So the 'slick' layer as I called it, isn't actually called anything, according to the manual?

But once again, thank you:hug:

You need to fully cure your bonder layer (thin application of pink or whatever) and fully cure that before you do your next application of gel, in your case, more blush.

However, I would bonder layer usually pink it or blush it, full cure (3 mins)
White application, full cure (4 mins)
Clear application, full cure (3 mins)
File
Finish it, full cure (3 mins)

HTH

You need to fully cure your bonder layer (thin application of pink or whatever) and fully cure that before you do your next application of gel, in your case, more blush.

However, I would bonder layer usually pink it or blush it, full cure (3 mins)
White application, full cure (4 mins)
Clear application, full cure (3 mins)
File
Finish it, full cure (3 mins)

HTH

Thanks Cathie!

Now I'm really confused:eek::green:! Doesn't take much:lol:

Is this per hand? Ie, do all bonder, cure, all pink, cure, all white, cure? It would run all over the place wouldn't it?

Sorry, cant seem to get my head around this:confused:

You don't need to scrub the bonder layer in just apply with polish like strokes ...just to add to the confusion lol!

I do

Bonder - 4 fingers full cure, same on other hand (I always do the thumbs last)
White - apply to one finger then freeze cure, 4 fingers done then full cure, alternating hands as you do each finger saves time.

Same for the clear application......when applying your clear, laying down a thin 'slick' layer before building will help the gel to level out.

HTH

Bingo!
All has become clear! I got the 'slick' layer bit but in the wrong place, der!

Makes perfect sense now, thank you!!!!!!!!!:hug:

So, any ideas on my other 3 questions please? How much extra to charge for top gloss, the cost of gel full set compared to l&p and whether you can buff gel instead of top coat?

Latest posts

Back