New to hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurihair

Reaction score
I went to night college when I was 18 and complete my nvq level 1 and 2 in hair but my folder was filled in wrongly so was never awarded the nvq level 2 hairdressing certificate all I have is hair nvq level 1 and barbering nvq level 2 . After years of working in retail and accounting I would love to get back into hairdressing. I have some saving to help support this so I can pay to
Go back to college and look at doing voluntary work in salons. I'm currently based in Worcestershire but only about 30 mins from Birmingham , does anyone have and recommendations for colleges as don't fancy my previous one as they messed up my folder last time and any tips or advice on salons to get work experience from thanks xx

So your college messed up your folder, and you just let that happen!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Chances are some of the staff will have moved on now anyway so don't automatically discount your previous college. Also, you could go and speak to someone about your previous studies and see what information they have about your previous studies. They might be willing to let you use the assessments you've passed towards you full qualification.

Also, google hairdressing level 2 and Fast track hairdressing and see what's available. As you have already completed most of your level 2 and a barbering course, you could try to find somewhere that will put you through more quickly, if you'd prefer that.

They told me I had passed and I applied and got a hairdressing job and waiting for my certificates to come through but the college then said a perm hadn't been completed properly so I would have to retake the whole course again. I was 18 stupid and had moved out so having been offered a trainee manger job in retail took that. If I could do it again I would have re done the year but we live and learn.
I'm looking at fast track options but the courses I have seen range from 4k to 10k so looking into it further or maybe seeing as I've been out of the game so long re do a year of level 2.
Waiting to hear back from a few academies and colleges
Thanks all xx

They told me I had passed and I applied and got a hairdressing job and waiting for my certificates to come through but the college then said a perm hadn't been completed properly so I would have to retake the whole course again. I was 18 stupid and had moved out so having been offered a trainee manger job in retail took that. If I could do it again I would have re done the year but we live and learn.
I'm looking at fast track options but the courses I have seen range from 4k to 10k so looking into it further or maybe seeing as I've been out of the game so long re do a year of level 2.
Waiting to hear back from a few academies and colleges
Thanks all xx

If your looking at those prices why don't you go to learn in an academy in London? You will get much better training than a college x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I'm looking at academies close to me in Birmingham just to try and save on accommodation costs as most courses are for 30 wks. Im speaking to a couple of academies and seeing if an apprentice route is possible as I'm 28 but hopefully I can find something as think that would be the best way to learn xx

Yes I'm looking at academies close to me in Birmingham just to try and save on accommodation costs as most courses are for 30 wks. Im speaking to a couple of academies and seeing if an apprentice route is possible as I'm 28 but hopefully I can find something as think that would be the best way to learn xx
How are you doing? I know this is an old thread but though Id hop on to see if you ever did find anything? Im an assessor over in Redditch with my own salon so if you ever needed anything, give me a shout :)

How are you doing? I know this is an old thread but though Id hop on to see if you ever did find anything? Im an assessor over in Redditch with my own salon so if you ever needed anything, give me a shout :)

@Zurihair hasn’t logged into Salon Geek for almost 4 years, so it’s unlikely you’ll receive an answer unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back