New to Shellac - help needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaRoseBeauty

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks,

Ive used artisitc gel colours before and got on with them fine. I have started using Shellac now as I have just started my own mobile beauty business and thought clients would reconigse this name more.

So I thought it would be pretty much the same as artistic but Im having some real problems with it. Mainly it is lifting after a week :( Any tips on where I might be going wrong?

I nail prep very well and apply the coats very thin and seal every one.

Im using the CND UV lamp and giving it 2mins drying time per coat... maybe I need to give it longer?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks!

you wont need to cure it for longer than 2 mins, are you curing base coat for 10 seconds? maybe your applying too thin? there are loads of cnd shellac videos on youtube maybe have a look at them to check your doing everything correct xx

Thanks for the reply and no I have been curing the base for 2mins aswell! Maybe thats where I am going wrong... oops!

Youtube tip sounds good... I should have thought of that really :|

Thanks again!!

Shellac is not a gel, and the system is a little different... sounds like you need to do a little more research before you get started on your clients hun!

Checkout the shellac lovers group (i've put links below)
and also the geeg shellac tutorial to make sure you are using all the right products in the right order!

the shellac training is not expensive and only takes half a day, so I would recommend you contact sweet squared to find your local educator as that will help you get the most from shellac and be really beneficial to your business and clients.

Salon Geek - Shellac Lovers

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

Oh deary me, I was under the impression that it was a gel! Im not doing it on my clients yet, just got lots of guinea pigs until I get it right! Still working full time so just find it hard to get away for the training with sweet squared but your right if I keep having problems I will have to make the time!

Thanks for the links, I will take a look :) I already joined the shellac lovers group today :)

Oh deary me, I was under the impression that it was a gel! Im not doing it on my clients yet, just got lots of guinea pigs until I get it right! Still working full time so just find it hard to get away for the training with sweet squared but your right if I keep having problems I will have to make the time!

Thanks for the links, I will take a look :) I already joined the shellac lovers group today :)

You must take the time and there is plenty of training available in London through Sweet Squared partners.

If you thought Shellac was a gel then you know very little about Shellac. A class is necessary. You should be able to tell by how it handles and how it looks that it is very different to gel. Please attend a class and get the right equipment ... If you are not using the CND UV Lamp and related prep and finishing products you will also have mega problems with curing.

You must take the time and there is plenty of training available in London through Sweet Squared partners.

If you thought Shellac was a gel then you know very little about Shellac. A class is necessary. You should be able to tell by how it handles and how it looks that it is very different to gel. Please attend a class and get the right equipment ... If you are not using the CND UV Lamp and related prep and finishing products you will also have mega problems with curing.

I have just looked over 'The Complete Shellac Colour Coat System Application Tutoria' posted by you and I am applying it correctly by the sounds of things. I also do have all the products mentioned and I am using the CND lamp recommended and retailed on the sweet squared website.

The only thing I have not been doing is the 10 sec cure for the base coat so maybe this is the problem.

As regards to shellac not being a gel polish, its suprising how similar it looks to the artistic gel polishes! I will look into training.

Thanks for your reply :)

I have just looked over 'The Complete Shellac Colour Coat System Application Tutoria' posted by you and I am applying it correctly by the sounds of things. I also do have all the products mentioned and I am using the CND lamp recommended and retailed on the sweet squared website.

The only thing I have not been doing is the 10 sec cure for the base coat so maybe this is the problem.

As regards to shellac not being a gel polish, its suprising how similar it looks to the artistic gel polishes! I will look into training.

Thanks for your reply :)

You are welcome. There are many unique differences between Shellac and gel and having tested several gel polishes I can tell immediately with the feel and the handle, the richness of the coverage etc. immediately that I am working with a different product to gel ... But then I have worked with gels for eons !

Some of the differences are in the obvious things mentioned above and others you can't see such as: the product is 3 free as well as hypoallergenic. Shellac smells totally different and nothing beats that shine for durability. Shellac is very low in photoinitiators and on and on ... The things you will learn on a class that are not in any step by step or video. You will not regret doing the class and I can't imagin ever buying a product and not learning everything I could about it and how to use it. A step by step doesn't begin to cover the things that will really benefit you as a user ... Only the very bare basics.

Latest posts

Back