New Twitter scam/hacking. Just to warn you!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Hey geeks.
Just to warn you, there is a scam going around on Twitter where one of the people you follow PM's you to say that someone's been spreading nasty rumours about you, so you click on the link, it tells you to log into Twitter but it's actually a dodgy page, they nick your details and start posting about weight loss spam on your behalf. So just be warned as it happened to me. Had to change my PW.
X

Thanks, I've had that message but I didn't open it. Glad I didn't now xx

Thanks, I've had that message but I didn't open it. Glad I didn't now xx

You obviously have more sense than me then! X

Unfortunately there are lots of these scams - I wish these people would find something better to do with their time.

If you see anything that looks like a scam - don't click on the link.

Make sure your password is a good one so you don't get hacked. Make it hard to guess or figure out.

I know, and they can be very clever as this PM I got on Twitter was from a local I was following, and a potential client. So when I read what she said, I panicked and clicked on it! Don't usually fall for things so it's pretty embarrassing! Lol.

I had this DM too but ignored and deleted straight away. I never open any links unless they've come from someone I know :wink2:

ooh i had one of them ages ago .. then figured out it was a scam

There was a similar one on facebook not long ago, you would get a msg from a friend saying 'do you remember this picture?' Jou would have to log in and hey presto spam!!!!

There was a similar one on facebook not long ago, you would get a msg from a friend saying 'do you remember this picture?' Jou would have to log in and hey presto spam!!!!

It's bad isn't it? Makes it convincing as with me only just starting my business a month ago I'm very conscious and worried about what people think of it so this PM played on my fears! I need to get a thicker skin... :-(

I had an email today saying 'click on this link' to see the naked picture of me which had been posted on Facebook and was now all over the Internet! Lol

I didn't fall for that one.....nobody in their right mind would have TAKEN a naked picture of me, never mind posting it on the Internet lol

I had an email today saying 'click on this link' to see the naked picture of me which had been posted on Facebook and was now all over the Internet! Lol

I didn't fall for that one.....nobody in their right mind would have TAKEN a naked picture of me, never mind posting it on the Internet lol
Pmsl. They are clever though how the tricksters play on people's fears. Although I know I won't be falling for it again! X

They must of had one on face book too as loads of people got emails of me and I hadn't sent them. Changed pw to stop it. Mind you there is one that sends birthday cards from me don't know how that happened but they all love it and keep thanking me lol xxxx

I've had one too! x

Either the scam is back up and running or one of the top geeks on here doesn't like me :sad:.

Was absolutely gutted until a fellow geek pointed me to this thread. The direct message came from someone I was following on twitter....so beware !! xx

Hey geeks.
Just to warn you, there is a scam going around on Twitter where one of the people you follow PM's you to say that someone's been spreading nasty rumours about you, so you click on the link, it tells you to log into Twitter but it's actually a dodgy page, they nick your details and start posting about weight loss spam on your behalf. So just be warned as it happened to me. Had to change my PW.
X

I feel for that a few weeks ago as well. I changed my passwords as well. X :)

I think I might come off twitter. I don't do Fb and was told twitter is great...I've only been on a couple of times...so don't think it's worth the hassle xx

OMG, I don't use Twitter much and just checked my account using my phone. Message says something like, "I can't believe some of the nasty things people are saying about you on here" then the link. I've not clicked on it and won't be. Tomorrow I'll be deleting it and the person posting it!

If anyone knows me that well then they'll know It's rubbish, whatever is being said lol.

Some people really do live sad uneventful lives.

Oh and thank you for posting I would have panicked if I'd not read this post x

I know what you mean...I felt awful, especially as I'm due to start a course that has links to the sender of mine. I felt really bad until a fellow geek pointed me in the direction of this thread and sent me a copy of one she had received...there are some truly horrid people around with too much time on their hands xx

How strange is this, I've gone back on Twitter and It's disappeared!

Being stalked lol

Mine didn't come up on twitter, it came through the inbox of my email account. A private message from XXXXX :confused: x

Latest posts

Back