New Year's marketing resolutions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Hi- I sent out the following in a email newsletter last week to my clients, and thought I'd repost it here as it might be useful to some people. It's as a result of some research, and I didn't write it all personally- and it's not exhaustive. So if anyone can think of anything else that we can resolve to do in the new year to help along our businesses, feel free to contribute. :)

NEW YEARS MARKETING RESOLUTIONS

New Year’s resolutions- even if you don’t write them down or announce them to the world, they’re there. There’s something about the start of a new year that makes us all decide it’s time to be better, smarter, richer, thinner or happier.

We can’t help you with the thinner or happier part (and goodness knows we're going to need some help ourselves!), but here are some New Year’s resolutions that could make you a better, smarter, more effective marketer.

I will use seasonal marketing more
As we as it being a handy way to "theme" your marketing and connect with your client- marketers do not have to invent new or never before used methods to create interest in seasonal products or services. The old traditional marketing techniques are effective and can still be applied. People want to buy because of the "celebration". In fact, many people may not see their purchase as buying at all, but as an act of making someone (including themselves) more happy

I will write smarter.
It’s all well and good to represent your company online, but people want to do business with people, not corporations. Use social media accounts to converse, not just inform. Where appropriate, mention your favourite TV show, sports team win, or what you had for lunch. And don’t be afraid to let your sense of humour show through.

Resolve to put really attractive "calls-to-action" in your leaflets, emails sends, and - well - almost anywhere else.

I will create an email list.
Despite all the excitement over Facebook and Twitter, email continues to be a reliable workhorse for driving marketing activity. Collecting email addresses at every opportunity gives you the chance to maintain contact with customers long after they’ve finished their appointment with you. With timely messages, news and offers, you can build a closer bond with your customers and give them plenty of reasons to come back .

I will create a marketing database.
This doesn't have to be anything complicated. Some simple notes or an excel spreadsheet with some pertinent information about your client (i.e. what are their preferences, how often do they rebook etc) - as well as more personal information such as when they're going on holiday, and even when their birthday is, so you can send them a branded Birthday card!

I will write a marketing plan with calendar.
Even the smallest businesses can engage in low-cost marketing. Your marketing plan should stretch across the whole year and include clear, achievable objectives that work towards:

• Strengthening your brand
• Acquiring new customers
• retaining and upselling/cross-selling current customers.

If you haven’t done it already, take some time to consider your business’ unique selling point. Use this strong foundation to launch your marketing campaign and most importantly – make sure you have a way to track the success of your campaigns. There’s no point engaging in marketing activity if you cannot measure the results.

I will try something new.
This is both the simplest and the hardest resolution to keep. There are so many new ideas and options, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. What happens then? You fall back on the same routine because it’s comfortable and familiar.

So pick one idea and give it a shot. Maybe it’s trying a leaflet run for the first time. Or creating a monthly email newsletter. Maybe it’s starting a Google+ page or using Hangout to create a focus group.

Your idea might fail. It might be too expensive or too difficult to manage. Or it could be a whole new source of revenue, an enlightening experience or the inspiration you need to take your company to the next level. You won’t know until you try!

I will carry out research.
The one person who can help you the most when it comes to improving your business and increasing revenues is your customer and the best way to get help from them is to ask. Use short, simple, and regular surveys to ask customers about key aspects of your business: new features, pricing, customer service, even marketing efforts are great topics for surveys. Make a resolution to put that customer list to work for you and listen hard to what they tell you.

I will resolve to find what my competitors don't like to do ... And DO IT!
Make a list of your competitors weaknesses. For example, what are the things they don't like to do? What do they neglect, avoid or overlook when it comes to serving your target market?

After you've created your list choose the best one to start with. After you've conquered the first one on your list go to the next one and so on. You'll soon enjoy a wall of competitive niche advantages that's hard to beat.

I will reward customer loyalty.
If you run a small business, you can’t compete with Amazon or Tesco (or the heavy discounter down the road) in volume or price. What you can do is keep the customers you have by rewarding them for their loyalty. Think about a loyalty card scheme to reward your customer base.

I will monitor what I am doing
People who work in marketing understand how volatile and changeable it can be, and is why a big part of their day is spent monitoring activities and testing new ideas. When running your own business, it is easy to treat marketing as tasks that can be forgotten about once completed.
So make sure you put aside time to review what you are spending your money on and whether it is working for you. If something is no longer working you need to consider why. Is the creative or offer tired and in need of a refresh, or is that media channel no longer reaching your customers? Has the space become saturated with your competitors or is it dominated by offers and deals you cannot compete with?

I will get support from your industry's community
Getting help from people in your business' industry will make sure you get through any obstacles faced when sticking to a New Year's resolution. If you're not already a member of forums such as the Salon Geek then you should be, as it's a fantastic way of seeing what other people in the industry are doing, how they're marketing and how they're solving problems.

I Will "court" my client base.
When courting the love of your life, you want that person to relate everything they do, say, and think with you. And how do you accomplish keeping your image in the forefront of their mind?

I will use the "constant contact" technique.
Resolve in 2013 to conduct a love affair (not literally please!) with your client base – creating a familiarity and acceptance that keeps your name, your logo, and your business in the forefront of your client’s minds – an intimate piece of knowledge. Your business name should be their automatic response when your type of service is mentioned, whether that may be over ladies at leisure afternoon tea or a morning natter with a fellow dog walker.

80% of your new business will come from 20% of your existing clients. Nurture your client base and they will reward you.

I will evaluate my branding- does it still represent my business?
If you can’t answer “yes” to this question, then resolve to update your logo and branding in 2013. Too many businesses spend money promoting themselves without investing sufficient time on one of the biggest marketing decisions they will ever make – their logo and branding. Your logo is your promise, your vision, and becomes your clients’ perception of your service. A logo that misstates or misrepresents your business can dilute almost every marketing activity you undertake.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Ps I don't get your emails :( how can I get on your list?

Fantastic email, definitely got my brain ticking :) xx

Brilliant thread!! will definitely be taking some of this advice xx

Love this. Food for thought xx

Thank you for this, Ive printed it off, am going to make sure I take your advice and for good measure I have stuck it in my office above my pc to make sure I keep following it!!

Many thanks for taking the time to post

H x

No worries! I can't take credit for writing all of it! ....It's as a result of a scouring the web for useful bits and bobs.

Not just for New Year either, a good marketing "spring-clean" is a damn good idea every now and again. I've just done it myself!

Thanks for that.

Ps I don't get your emails :( how can I get on your list?

I think I got notification from Mail Chimp that you subscribed! I assumed you didn't want em!

Drop me a line on [email protected] and I'll add you back on (if it lets me)

Latest posts

Back