New York-has anyone been there?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adventuregirl

Reaction score
Hello.

Who's all been to NY before?

Any tips on where to go, where is nice to stay and area, who to book with, good food places (we love our food!), best time of year? Basically everything!

Also a rough idea of how much to take to spend? We want to be comfortable and do a lot of trips

We are looking at September next year for 5 nights.

Any tips etc much appreciated xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I went in 2004 it was march and very cold so sept would be nice, not too hot either! My mums husband is from ny and she used to go all the time to see him, hes here now! She took me & my sis and we did the ferry over to ellis island, the statue of liberty was closed still due to 9/11 but i think you can go i. That now. Ellis island there is a museum all about the immigrants that came over and is so moving, i was crying walking around!

I think it is cheaper to rent an apartment or studio than go to a hotel, we stayed at the Pennsylvania hotel which was expensive but so big it wasn't the hilton! But it was the block next to the empire state building which i a must! Times square at night, central park zoo. I went to the art galleries because i was doing art a level at the time! I did a search on expedia on hotels and an apartment was coming up cheaper than the big grubby hotels.

Bring lots of money! Shopping is amazing & even Macy's is good for shopping, i got a DKNY watch for half of what it would cost me here, im assuming because the import tax!? I was a student and didn't really save but i wished i did. There was a H&M next to the hotel and it was open until 10pm. Everything is expensive from food to the subway, we ate in mcdonalds most of the time but you will find your spending loads every day.

I never saw the 9/11 site, it was just a building site when i went but if i went back i would love to visit that, bring tissues though if you go, i know i will!
It all depends on what you fancy really, but if you go up the empire state building thats amazing!

Fantastic. Thanks for the tips. We have priced hotels and flights together and can get it for not too bad a price (is about £1400 each?) But the idea about an apartment sounds good!

Definitely want to see Ground Zero and Statue of Liberty. Also fancied the ferry and Brooklyn Bridge. Didn't know about the zoo but we'd love that!

I am definitely going to take as much money as possible. I was looking for a new watch as well ;)

Also thanks to the mod who changed my title making it a bit more specific :)

Anyone else ever been? Xxx

I've been just the once and as I was on a cruise ship working we didn't stay overnight but we went around Christmas and it was amazing! Cold and snowy but amazing! We went shopping everywhere and it was an amazing experience and I would love to go back somedsy . so I suppose I can't really offer any guidance but walking around new York was just fan and we got a taxi on the Brooklyn bridge as as well which a great experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Fantastic. Thanks for the tips. We have priced hotels and flights together and can get it for not too bad a price (is about £1400 each?) But the idea about an apartment sounds good!

Definitely want to see Ground Zero and Statue of Liberty. Also fancied the ferry and Brooklyn Bridge. Didn't know about the zoo but we'd love that!

I am definitely going to take as much money as possible. I was looking for a new watch as well ;)

Also thanks to the mod who changed my title making it a bit more specific :)

Anyone else ever been? Xxx

If your thinking of Central Park zoo it's very small and only small animals but I think there is one in the Bronx and Brooklyn we never made it there in the end! We had one nice pricey meal out at a restaurant called del friscoes it's near the rocker fella centre pricey but worth it the best steak I have ever eaten!! We went in march/April and Statue of Liberty was closed due to hurricane sandy damage but hopefully when you go will be open. One thing we did which I would thoroughly recommend if you can afford to is to do a helicopter trip was out of this world, for me the best part of the trip and the port is near ground zero so you can kind of do the day down there! I wanted a new watch while there and we went to the outlets and I go a Micheal kors one there for a lot cheaper than back here! If you like shows we saw mamma Mia and it was so so good! We stayed at the w hotel on Times Square and we were right in the centre of everything! Xx

Oh yes the bronx zoo! We went to central park zoo but my mum always goes on about the bronx zoo, she said its gone up recently & is quiet expensive but it will be worth it! I wanted to take my husband because he's never been & would love to go but we decided to have a baby instead lol, and I'm not going until she is old enough to stay at home or keep up with us sight seeing!

Many times - its my third fave city in the world! My tips:

1. Always tip your bar keep!!
  2. Don't go up the Empire State (you can't see it), do the Top of the Rock(afella) as much better views, cheaper and you get to see the Empire State & Central Park
  3. Lots of restaurants you can eat at the bar, full restaurant menu. These are *always* the best seats in the house! Restaurants to look out for - fedora, pearla, pearl oyster bar, babbo, cowgirl hall of fame, freemans
  4. Eat in one restaurant, go to another and get dessert - that's what we do
  5. Look for some speak easy cocktail bars to see how cocktails should be done! Death & Company, Bathtub Gin, Employee's Only etc
  6. My hotel of choice is The Maritime, or for a cheaper stay i'm trying the Nyma next trip
  7. Chelsea market is amazing - oh my god the Fatwitch brownies!!
  8. Murray's Bagels for breakfast!
  9. Get coffee and pretzel from a guy on the street
  10. Tip your bar keep! At least a dollar a drink in the bar. Pay, just leave the tip on the bar - they will collect it. And you will get better service and stronger drinks - don't be a cheap British tourist!
  11. Go to Central Park and take a picnic!
  12. If you like to bake check out William Sonoma
  13. The Highline is the best park in all of Manhatten
  14. Brooklyn is an amazing suburb
  15. On the Sunday do what the locals do and do Brunch! But be prepared to queue or book - use TopTable for this, loads of restaurants use it
  16. Don't eat in Times Square - rubbish tourist trap restaurants (i had a wasted meal there once ... never again)
  17. Tip your bar keep and waiter!
  18. Wear comfortable shoes! If you aren't get a cab.
  19. Use the MTA subway, its safe and the trains are airconned
  20. Book in for a facial at Dermalogica Soho in their skinpod - best facial I have ever had!
  21. Don't over plan - just explore the city!
  22. Soho is full of interesting independent / trendy / designer shops
  23. Don't accept poor service
  24. Every Starbucks has free wifi!
  25. Check your mobile provider how much they will rip you off if you use your phone to make or receive a call - and data charges will bankrupt you
  26. Get a yellow cab
  27. Don't get a peddle cycle ride - they cost about $3 - $5 *a minute*

I think that is a good start.

If you want an apartment check out www.airbnb.com - awesome website!!

My friend and I are hoping to go in October 2014 as a joint birthday trip. I have been desperate to go since I was about 10.
These are really good tips. We've been quoted about £800 for flights and hotel for 4 nights but as it's so far away this was only an estimate. I've been reading some horror stories about people being booked into hotels which turn out to be horrible dumps but might have a little look at some of the hotels mentioned here.
Is the shopping really that cheap? This could be dangerous haha

Been a couple of years ago at the start of December 2010, best 5 days ever!!!! Going back in just less than 2 years for my 21st and can't wait :)!
We stayed in the marrakech hotel on broad way .. http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/mar...p1t1:neg;ws=&gclid=CKegir_V-LgCFQTHtAod_T0Arw

Was right next to a subway that we used every day which was perfect as it got you absolutely everywhere you needed to be! I'm taking about £3000 with me this time, loads of money is a must! We also ate every night in this bar/restarunt across from the hotel called Toast, best burgers I have ever tasted! Went up the rock a fella centre amazing views!! Went to an outlet called wood berry common, spent a whole day and it was a waste of time! You get the exact same prices in New York (and not the shopping bags that say outlet on them) I am obsessed with shopping bags so getting ones without outlet were amazing ha.
Went round the Statue of Liberty on the boat, it was sooo small compared to what it looks in films etc. and went to Ellis island and into the museum, that was amazing!
Oh god can't even think what else!! Amazing time though I promise you will love it xx

Wow. Thanks so much, everyone! I am going to sit down and Google all your suggestions :)

I'm excited just reading your replies! Xx

Many times - its my third fave city in the world! My tips:

1. Always tip your bar keep!!
  2. Don't go up the Empire State (you can't see it), do the Top of the Rock(afella) as much better views, cheaper and you get to see the Empire State & Central Park
  3. Lots of restaurants you can eat at the bar, full restaurant menu. These are *always* the best seats in the house! Restaurants to look out for - fedora, pearla, pearl oyster bar, babbo, cowgirl hall of fame, freemans
  4. Eat in one restaurant, go to another and get dessert - that's what we do
  5. Look for some speak easy cocktail bars to see how cocktails should be done! Death & Company, Bathtub Gin, Employee's Only etc
  6. My hotel of choice is The Maritime, or for a cheaper stay i'm trying the Nyma next trip
  7. Chelsea market is amazing - oh my god the Fatwitch brownies!!
  8. Murray's Bagels for breakfast!
  9. Get coffee and pretzel from a guy on the street
  10. Tip your bar keep! At least a dollar a drink in the bar. Pay, just leave the tip on the bar - they will collect it. And you will get better service and stronger drinks - don't be a cheap British tourist!
  11. Go to Central Park and take a picnic!
  12. If you like to bake check out William Sonoma
  13. The Highline is the best park in all of Manhatten
  14. Brooklyn is an amazing suburb
  15. On the Sunday do what the locals do and do Brunch! But be prepared to queue or book - use TopTable for this, loads of restaurants use it
  16. Don't eat in Times Square - rubbish tourist trap restaurants (i had a wasted meal there once ... never again)
  17. Tip your bar keep and waiter!
  18. Wear comfortable shoes! If you aren't get a cab.
  19. Use the MTA subway, its safe and the trains are airconned
  20. Book in for a facial at Dermalogica Soho in their skinpod - best facial I have ever had!
  21. Don't over plan - just explore the city!
  22. Soho is full of interesting independent / trendy / designer shops
  23. Don't accept poor service
  24. Every Starbucks has free wifi!
  25. Check your mobile provider how much they will rip you off if you use your phone to make or receive a call - and data charges will bankrupt you
  26. Get a yellow cab
  27. Don't get a peddle cycle ride - they cost about $3 - $5 *a minute*

I think that is a good start.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I love the helpful hints! Much appreciated x

Agree with Fozzyo - go up the Rockefeller rather than the Empire State. Much better view because you can actually see the Empire State. (If you can, go up twice. Once during the day and once at night. There is nothing like the sight of New York lit up at night from all the way up there. My most favourite place on earth - so far :hug:)
I love the Heartlands at the bottom of the Empire State for a good strong drink, a giant plate of nachos and tonnes of people watching.
The yellow cabs are mad. Put the seatbelt on.
Make sure you have comfy shoes on. The amount of walking is unreal.
Visit the 'Visitors Centre' in the bigger department stores. (Macy's and Bloomingdales) when I went you got 11% off at the tills for being a tourist. And in Macy's, if you saved your receipts you got a free gift at the end. And if, like me, you have a small obsession with the Little Brown Bags, Bloomingdales staff are normally quite happy to throw some extras in the bag for you to take home.
Ground Zero is....something you have to do. It's so upsetting. Visit the church that's there. If it's still there! It was used by the firefighters and police during the days after as a base and is a memorial now. It's so upsetting but it tells the story remarkably well. I hope it's still there. It was lovely to go in when I was there. (Not a church as such anymore. More just a place where people can go to pay their respects.)
We did the bus tours. The guides are fantastic and it's a good way to see a lot of sights that you want a picture of.
Most of all - enjoy it! It is absolutely amazing there. I've been twice and I'm itching to go back!! So jealous :Love:

Agree with Fozzyo - go up the Rockefeller rather than the Empire State. Much better view because you can actually see the Empire State. (If you can, go up twice. Once during the day and once at night. There is nothing like the sight of New York lit up at night from all the way up there. My most favourite place on earth - so far :hug:)
I love the Heartlands at the bottom of the Empire State for a good strong drink, a giant plate of nachos and tonnes of people watching.
The yellow cabs are mad. Put the seatbelt on.
Make sure you have comfy shoes on. The amount of walking is unreal.
Visit the 'Visitors Centre' in the bigger department stores. (Macy's and Bloomingdales) when I went you got 11% off at the tills for being a tourist. And in Macy's, if you saved your receipts you got a free gift at the end. And if, like me, you have a small obsession with the Little Brown Bags, Bloomingdales staff are normally quite happy to throw some extras in the bag for you to take home.
Ground Zero is....something you have to do. It's so upsetting. Visit the church that's there. If it's still there! It was used by the firefighters and police during the days after as a base and is a memorial now. It's so upsetting but it tells the story remarkably well. I hope it's still there. It was lovely to go in when I was there. (Not a church as such anymore. More just a place where people can go to pay their respects.)
We did the bus tours. The guides are fantastic and it's a good way to see a lot of sights that you want a picture of.
Most of all - enjoy it! It is absolutely amazing there. I've been twice and I'm itching to go back!! So jealous :Love:

Thanks so much for your hints. I am so excited reading it you'd think I was away this week never mind next year!

Will definitely visit Ground Zero. We have to. I didn't know about the church so will definitely go.

Also the shopping hints - tourist discounts, extra BBs? That is right up my street.

I will say to OH about the Rockefeller building instead. Makes sense if you can actually see the Empire State.

Definitely intend on the bus tours (have even got OH to agree to the SATC one - woo hoo) xxx

Oh the Sex and the City tour is amazing! Does it still include the Cosmo at Steve's bar? It's so good and girlie! You'll love it!

Oh the Sex and the City tour is amazing! Does it still include the Cosmo at Steve's bar? It's so good and girlie! You'll love it!

Oooh I don't know. It only mentioned a cupcake. A Cosmo and cupcake, well that would be lovely!

I feel like breaking out the SATC box set :) But I have to work today to make money for everything I have planned now lol. Humph! Xxx

You still go to the bar but have to buy the cocktails I went in April! It's a good fun tour! Magnolia bakery cupcakes are out of this world!!!!

I went to New York in 2011, we were there in November and over the weekend of Veterans Day (remembrance day) and they had huge sales in all of the shops.
We did the top of the rock (Rockefeller centre) and I would prefer that to the Empire State as you can see the Empire State and get great photos.
I would recommend doing a comedy club, we went to one called danger-fields and it was a great night.
We did ground zero, this was something I felt very strongly about doing, I found it a very tough and emotional day and I'm glad I did it but I don't think I'd do it again. While there I was very aware of families visiting who had lost family during 9/11 and had gone there to feel close to them, there were kids of men that died who would of only been babies when it happened, this I found too much, to me it felt like I was intruding but as I said I am glad I went.
We did a bit of Central Park but not enough.
We plan to go back in the not too distant future and the things I'd like to do that I didn't do before are:
- Horse and cart ride through Central Park
- Bronx zoo
- Watch a broadway show (lion king)
- Goto Ellis island
- Statue of Liberty
- Brooklyn Bridge

Something else we saw was a street artist in Times Square, he made space pictures using spray paints and props, his pictures were great and I really regret not getting one, there are videos on YouTube of him.

Latest posts

Back