New York - must do's??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinkel

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I am off to New York soon, and as its my first time there i was hoping for any tips or "must do's" while I am there?
we are mainly going to shop, but want to do sightseeing too. Anyone have any great resturants/bars, sights ect?
xx

The Rockafella Centre ... Top of the Rock.

It is much better them going up the Empire State. No fences, you get to see all of Central Park, Empire State etc.

It you want a 5* Spa Experience the Mandarin Oriental Spa is amazing ... But expensive.

Two great restaurants worth checking out are Cowgirl and Fatty Crap.

When you're in a bar tip the bar staff! Just leave a dollar or two on the bar as you order each round. They will look after you then and the cocktails / drinks will get stronger and better.

You need to tip at least 10% in restaurants ... Usually 15%, more if it's been really good.

Bloomingdales one if my fave stores to shop in. Also check out Crate & Barrel. If you like cooking look for William Sanoma.

Central Park is also worth wandering around ... Huge and beautiful.

The New York Metro / Underground is excellent, and a great way to get around the city. Ask your hotel concierge about buying an MTA pass.

You have to buy coffee, pretzel or donuts of the street sellers in their carts. It's what the locals do and much cheaper then Starbucks!

Mat xx

Hi geeks, I am off to New York soon, and as its my first time there i was hoping for any tips or "must do's" while I am there?
we are mainly going to shop, but want to do sightseeing too. Anyone have any great resturants/bars, sights ect?
xx

go downtown and get the Staten island ferry - is free and you get to see the Statue of Liberty. We did a horse and carriage through Central Park- was lovely. Go to Tiffany on fifth ave - even if it's just to look! As far as I remember if you go to Customer Service in macys and bloomingdales and tell them you are a tourist they give you a free memento. Woodbury common is about 1.5 hrs bus ride out of manhattan. its a shopping outlet place with over two hundred shops. You get the bus at port authority on 42nd street , cant remember whether its at the junction of 6th ave or 7th. It's a good idea to plan where you want to go and what you want to see. No matter how long you are there for it's still never enough!!

Hi

All the tourist spots statue,empire state,macys etc

I second woodbury commons it is hugh and so cheap. Loads of shops and you can take a coach out and back.

There is a restaurant right in the middle of central park called TAVERN ON THE GREEN it is covered in fairy lights and has a great cocktail bar,you can order your food and are giving a little pager to tell you when your table is ready so you can stay at the cocktail bar while your food is being cooked,the food was so good and not as expensive as i thought it would be.Do not get a taxi home but a horse and carriage back through central park. Amazing.

FAO Schwarz toy store because you will feel like a 10 year old again.
It has the piano for the movie "BIG" as well as giant stuffed giraffes for 10k.
They also have a milkshake/ice-cream place in there that you should stop by,they are hugh.

The wax museum is really good very funny.

Go to a broadway show,this is a must!!!

Last but no way least rays pizza,if your a pizza fan try this. There is loads of them all over new york you can not miss them,a slice of pizza is about the size of a persons head lol. I dreamt of this place for months when i came home.

ENJOY X X X

Ice-skating in Central Park or Rockafella Centre.

Trying cupcakes at the Magnolia Bakery (made famous by Sex and the City) in Greenwich Village.

5th Avenue shopping.

Empire Diner for the most amazing hamburgers.

Canal Street for upmarket restaurants.

Radio City Music Hall and Rockettes tour.

Circle Line Ferry for amazing views of Manhattan.

Wall Street.

St Patrick's Cathedral.

Ground Zero memorial and museum.

South Street Sea Port for shopping and restaurants.

FAO Schwartz on 5th Avenue ... the biggest toy shop in the world.

United Nations tour.

Carnegie Deli (you won't need to eat for a week after!)

Don't bother with the horse and carriage ride around Central Park ... it's a rip off, but do visit Strawberry Fields and the Imagine memorial to John Lennon.

I could go on and on, it's a huge city with loads to do.

Have a wonderful time :hug: xx

Oh God you guys, these answers have made me so excited!!!!!
Iv been told about a few of the suggestions by others, so def will move them to the top of the list!!
Keep them coming people, and thank you so much for answers already:hug:

Rockerfellar centre
Central Park
Serendipitys ( desserts to die for if you can get in)
Soho
Greenwich Village
Chinatown
Tiffanys
Bloomingdales
Lexington Ave - great:hug:

I think you should take me with you:green: I am so green, especially of Mat, for knowing this city so well.
It's on my dream it, do it, list.
One day, one day:hug:

Ahhh Susie, pack a bag, come with us! lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys. You all seem to know your way round NY! I cant wait

Ahhh Susie, pack a bag, come with us! lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys. You all seem to know your way round NY! I cant wait

Wish I could, would help if I had a current passport :lol:
When are you going hun?
When ever it is I'm sure you'll have a great time:hug:

If u go to macys and show ure British passport ya get 10%off

fabulous thread !!!

helping me enormously ... i going for my 40th in april - was the end but now looking likely to be the beginning, am booking it this weekend .... soooo excited ! xx

I agree with Woodbury Common its fab but don't pay the expensive coach to get there its much easier and cheaper by train.

Also there is the BEST little mexican fajita stall/cart just outside the Adidas Originals store in Soho. Its well worth a visit but be prepared to queue a bit as all the locals use it. It sells amazing food.

Also if you are there for a week or so, Boston is only a few hours on the train and well worth a look!

Have fun
X:)

Im going in just over a week, for a week!
Im thinking its not going to be enough time lol

A few more ideas for you:

Grand Central Station

Madison Square Garden

Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty

Rockafella Plaza

I went there 2 years ago for my 30th birthday. You will love it!
Have a great time :)
We were there for a week but it was nowhere near enough. Saving to go back!

if you ever saw the movie coyote ugly its based on a bar in the meat packing district called Hog's and Heaffers. Its a bikers bar and NOT a classy joint but we had some craic in there. Worth a visit - you won't get cocktails just beer or shorts but an eye opener.

Fab Fab Fab!!!

Any good cocktail bars?????

I'm taking my daughter shopping for a week in March/April. Can you suggest a good central hotel? x

Do Rays in Little Italy - food is to die for cheap as chips, many famous faces have eaten in there!
Guggenheim Museum - its really good, so many things to see magnolias bakery is also round the corner
There are alot of pubs called "blarney Stones" atmosphere and food are all really cheap, but an experience to say the least!
Meat packing district for really good little cocktail bars
Go to williamsburg in Brooklyn, i think its the "B" train its so fantastic over there, real NYC experience!

You will have a ball i went out a few years back for 13 days and stayed for 3 months, its the best place in the world!

Latest posts

Back