Newbie - A few spray tan questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownt62

Reaction score
Hi all

Just to introduce myself, I am a new spray tan therapist based in southern Ireland. I have been trained with Tantrick, have 'practiced' like a mad women and will be taking 'paying' clients from tomorrow... yahoo!
When I was doing my initial market research (to see if it was viable business) I found this site soooo helpful in actually making my decision. I have a special thank you to Colin and Britta who I am sure must have a pain in their heads from all my questions (what harm - holiday is coming soon...) and have to say their customer service is excellent.

Now for a few questions that you may be able to help me with....

Firsty, for myself - and as something I was going to recommend but not too sure now - I use Simple soap every day in the shower and also have (for years) used Aqueous cream afterwards - it is fantastic, natural moisturising cream but I am wondering now is it too oily and will it (or the soap) strip the tan? (I have very sensitive skin) and I would like it to last as long as possible - I am training hubby to spray tan me - which is a bit of 'fun' (once the face and hands are ok - a bit scary but keep the faith!!)...
Secondly, when I am spraying the clients arms (they are being sprayed on their sides with arm outstretched towards me slightly) the arm is sticking out of the tent and I am concerned that I might get spray on the floor etc. so how far should the client stand inside the tent?
Thirdly (and lastly) how do you apply Tantrick 'Tan in a Can'? I tried it on myself last week in the bathroom and the spray went everywhere - walls, floor, sink etc and as the application was very dark I washed if off immediately (afraid it would be too dark).... I am sure I was doing something wrong so would appreciate some advice please...

Ta very much
Janet:)

I have a special thank you to Colin and Britta who I am sure must have a pain in their heads from all my questions (what harm - holiday is coming soon...) and have to say their customer service is excellent.

:)

Yey Janet....wow paying customers already..always thought you were a get up and go kind of gal...well done and good luck.

Oh and don't worry you've been a star and absolutely not a "pain in our heads"..a pain in the butt yes but not the head LOL :lol::lol:

Good luck with your business Janet and feel free to let us know if there is anything at all we can do to assist you in being successful :hug:

Talking of which how did your newspaper interview go...can I have your autograph ??

Newspaper interview went fab last week and we are doing a photoshoot on Friday with models and 'real' fashionphotographers!!! all very exciting!!
It all will be in next week's edition so will forward to you....may enclose an autograph if you are lucky!!!:lol:

Thank you for those kind words of support Colin...

Newspaper interview went fab last week and we are doing a photoshoot on Friday with models and 'real' fashionphotographers!!! all very exciting!!
It all will be in next week's edition so will forward to you....may enclose an autograph if you are lucky!!!:lol:

Thank you for those kind words of support Colin...

so what are they writing about you..whats there angle??

They really liked the fact that because I my hours were reduced in my regular job that I 'got up off my ass' and did something about it.....:lol:

Ive had the same problem with tan in a can today. It covered the place, was really dark and also didnt match my tan it looked sort of red compared to the 10% tantrick i have on. I also was getting darker spots on it. Can anyone help how to use this as my trainer showed me it and it was great? I must be doing something wrong?xx

Hi can anyone answer these questions please??

Firstly, for myself - and as something I was going to recommend but not too sure now - I use Simple soap every day in the shower and also have (for years) used Aqueous cream afterwards - it is fantastic, natural moisturising cream but I am wondering now is it too oily and will it (or the soap) strip the tan? (I have very sensitive skin) and I would like it to last as long as possible - I am training hubby to spray tan me - which is a bit of 'fun' (once the face and hands are ok - a bit scary but keep the faith!!)...
Secondly, when I am spraying the clients arms (they are being sprayed on their sides with arm outstretched towards me slightly) the arm is sticking out of the tent and I am concerned that I might get spray on the floor etc. so how far should the client stand inside the tent?
Thirdly (and lastly) how do you apply Tantrick 'Tan in a Can'? I tried it on myself last week in the bathroom and the spray went everywhere - walls, floor, sink etc and as the application was very dark I washed if off immediately (afraid it would be too dark).... I am sure I was doing something wrong so would appreciate some advice please...

Thanks
Janet

Hi Janet,

seems you are getting on fine? On the tent, if you position the client towards the back of the tent when you are spraying the arms there will only be a tiny bit of the arm outside the tent. Try lowering the arm to say 45 degrees and spray that way, this will also help getting the spray towards the tent you you shouldnt get any overspray anywhere else than the tent. However having said that if you are spraying somewhere with exceptional light floor (cream carpet?) it would be worth covering this with a towel so that no drips can ruin that and for the client to step onto when you come out of the tent.

On the tan in the can, its based on 10% and the key is NOT to shake the can before using it. The mist is really ultra fine to give an even tan with the unique non aerosol application but I would recommend either using it in the tent or a shower that can be washed down. Simply give yourself or your client a "mist" which is enough as a top up in between spraytans or even fantastic on its own :hug: hope this helps?

Hi Wowbb
Thank you for the 'arm' advice (makes sense) and also for solving the tan in a can problem.... I did shake it beforehand so that was my mistake!! You live and learn!!
Great help....:lol:
Janet

Hi Fellow Irish Tan Tech

Im in Dublin doing the same thing, I use Fake Bake however, I bought myself a huge dark brown towel and i lay it down outside the tent, just in case because even if the spray didn't get the floor, id be terrified if anything dripped off their foot or anything, unlikely but could happen.:)

Hi Murnette

Yeah, I think the towel outside the tent is the answer... just to be sure...:eek:

Thank you
Janet

Hi,

I stand my client to the back of the tent on a small dark hand towel as this also makes it clear where they should be. I use a dark beach size towel outside the tent because for some reason my gun always leaks for the first tan after I have cleaned it out thoroughly which I realised luckily on my own kitchen hard floor so no probs but would hate it to happen at a clients house!!
Good luck

well I only spray midgets in my tent and have no problems other than trying to find them in such a big void :eek:

The added bonus is that I only use around 12ml on a full body..except if I get a really tall one when this rises to 13ml..still good profits ratios (solution cost verses income revenue) to be had from this sector..only costs about a£1 a tan :hug:

Once again, psml with your reply Colin.:)

Latest posts

Back