Newbie advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie3384

Reaction score
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone.

Quick bit about my qualifications before I ask my question:
- Level 2 diploma in beauty therapy
- Level 3 diploma in Swedish body massage
- Level 3 diploma in Indian head massage

I'm a full time primary school teacher but I want to earn a bit of extra money. To keep my costs down and because this is going to just be a very part time thing, I have decided to do one thing only rather than offering every treatment under the sun. I know how popular getting shellac/gel nails are - I myself go and get them done every 2 weeks and love it. I have looked at Sweet Squared and registered my interest in doing a Shellac beginners course because Shellac is what my nail technician uses. However, I know Halo is very popular. I want to get training in this rather than just buying everything and 'having a go' - what with me being massively out of practice, I feel doing a course would be very beneficial for me.

So my questions are:
1) would you recommend doing a manicure/pedicure course at college or would my level 2 in beauty therapy be suitable
2) what brand is recommended that would be popular with clients
3) do any other brands apart from Shellac provide training

Thanks so much!
x

You can never learn too much and if you’re serious about doing more than just “colouring nails” (and it sounds like you are!) I would strongly suggest a manicure course!

I would also strongly suggest Doug Schoon’s book!

Many brands are out there, but I dare say none as as recognised as Shellac. None also remove as quickly which IMO is a greatly overlooked commodity. Full disclosure here though - not only am I a nail pro, I am an owner of Sweet Squared.

Best of luck in your journey, hope this helps.

Oh, and most brands do provide brand specific training. Whatever brands you do go with, make sure you pair it with their training which is often much better and specific for the brand than generic training.

Oh, and most brands do provide brand specific training. Whatever brands you do go with, make sure you pair it with their training which is often much better and specific for the brand than generic training.

Thanks for your reply - it's very helpful.
I am looking at a refresher manicure/pedicure course just to build my confidence back up and will then look into a course for gel. I know Shellac has a very good reputation but my only concern is that it is sooo much more expensive than others and with this being a part time endeavour, I'm worried I'd never make my money back :-/
It's something for me to think about though!

Shellac is more expensive per application. Compared against the cheapest brand, it’s up to about £1 more per application. Keep that in context though. If it saves you more than a couple of minutes(your most expensive cost) and/or a file (that many brands require to remove/debunk) and/or it brings customers to you, it can cost you more using a cheaper brand. Don’t fall for false economies. Make the decision that is best for you and your customers, but make sure you make it as informed as possible!

Best of luck!

Shellac is more expensive per application. Compared against the cheapest brand, it’s up to about £1 more per application. Keep that in context though. If it saves you more than a couple of minutes(your most expensive cost) and/or a file (that many brands require to remove/debunk) and/or it brings customers to you, it can cost you more using a cheaper brand. Don’t fall for false economies. Make the decision that is best for you and your customers, but make sure you make it as informed as possible!

Best of luck!

I do agree that sometimes it's best to spend more on a quality product. The only thing that concerns me is reading this forum, a lot of people are saying that they are having difficulty with Shellac staying on fingers. I have found that Shellac on myself is generally good for 2 weeks, but then I do try to look after my nails. I have also had Halo on my nails, which were ok but I did find they chipped more and then I had Blue Sky once, which I detested and I currently have gelish on.

BUT what I really like about Shellac is the removal process. I really don't like having my nail bed filed, and I don't fancy doing it to other people :-/

Hi Blondie3384, welcome to the forum.

Try Cuccio, an American brand so well placed in the market place for quality and 10 free ( nasties removed ) from the latest products released. So very good regarding known irritants/allergens.
They do a "peel off pre base" that I am currently wearing under my full gel nails. No need for a soak off!!!
Cuccio are 100% gel not a hybrid gel and I find it suits me and my clients. Love all the spa products too, with their superb combinations of ingredients. Sophisticated and very nice to use.
Training "educators" are all over the country so good support in the early days.

As you are already trained in mani/pedi from your beauty therapy level 2 , you will add onto your insurance policy proof of learning the gel process and will thus be qualified to perform the gel polish applicaton and removal. Practise makes perfect though, so have plenty of available friends and family to try on.

I like also that they last for 3 years after opening which is good for me as I am a small business and cannot afford things to go hard after a 12-18 months of opening.
Let us know what you decide on and hope you don't get too confused .
RosieR

Thanks all for your replies.
I'm going to do a 1:1 course with a local lady for gel nails (non brand specific) in January and then I'm going to do a CND Shellac course in April. This gives me a few months to sort myself out with setting up my summerhouse and getting everything ready to start. I'm really excited.
I'll probably start another post soon with loads of stupid questions - I have spent hours scouring this site for answers but some of the threads dated back 5+ years. I hope no one will think I am an imbecile for asking so many things - but I want to get it all right. :)

Thanks all for your replies.
I'm going to do a 1:1 course with a local lady for gel nails (non brand specific) in January

Check with your insurance that the gel training you are going for is sufficient to qualify you to offer gel to clients.

Check with your insurance that the gel training you are going for is sufficient to qualify you to offer gel to clients.

Yes, she's said that it would allow me to get insurance for any brand, but this course is really to allow me to spend 1:1 time with a professional to build my confidence back up. I'll be attending a 2 day CND Shellac course in April, which will definitely be sufficient to qualify me to offer services to clients :) x

Yes, she's said that it would allow me to get insurance for any brand, but this course is really to allow me to spend 1:1 time with a professional to build my confidence back up. I'll be attending a 2 day CND Shellac course in April, which will definitely be sufficient to qualify me to offer services to clients :) x

Trust no-one, do your own research and check with your specific insurance company

Latest posts

Back