Newbie and Frustrated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loreal1965

Reaction score
hi,

Am new to this board as well as a new nail tech student. I've been attending school part time for one month. So far we've learned manicures and we've just started pedicures.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm having a hard time getting into the groove w/filing toenails. Even with toe separators in place, it still seems as if the other toes get in the way of filing. I'd asked my instructor and she just suggested using my right hand and said that sometimes being ambidextrous just doesn't pay.

I feel there must be some small thing getting in my way. Just want to do a good job and hate this awkwardness stage.

If anyone has any good tips, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Loreal :rolleyes:

First let me welcome you to the board! :p I hope you will find it useful to you while you are studying to enter one of the most fun and satisfying professions on the planet. Now to offer some help.

Number 1 ... the client's leg has to be at the right angle. ie knee bent and foot resting flat, on your knee.

Then I hold the toe I am filing, firmly between my thumb and index finger
and I use my other three fingers to push against and hold down the other toes that otherwise would tend to pop up and get in the way.

Some toes are peskier than others!! :D

I personally never use toe separators. I find they only get in the way of polishing and everyting else. As a client I also find them uncomfortable.

Hi Loreal, welcome to the best board you`ll ever find, once here addiction soon sets in and you won`t go anywhere else.
As for your question, as Geeg says, toe seperators only get in the way. You have to hold the toe (from underneath) that you are filing and keep others out of the way with your fingers, you will find a way thats comfortable for you but you won`t manage it with toe seperators as they won`t allow you to move the other toes out of your way.
I never use them at all, when painting toe nails I use a tissue folded and wrap between toes, so much easier.
Good luck

:arrow: :flower: Hi,

Thank you all for welcoming me to the board. My computer has been on the blink for the past few days and this message was delivered to my junk mail folder.

I've ditched the toe separators and find it much easier.

Thanks for your tips!

Have a good weekend.

Laurie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back