Newbie first post! Setting up help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa32

Reaction score
Hi everyone, at the grand old age of 32 I decided to go back to college to study beauty therapy and am absolutely loving it!!! Not sure what my long term plan is but initially once I'm qualified I will do it alongside my day job. Would love to do level 3 but just can't afford it :-(
Anyhoo, need some help please, I am after a 2 tier folding table to place my products on when out and about doing treatments that isn't going to cost the earth - any ideas?

Also can anyone recommend a decent brand/make of wax pot and products to get me started? So many out there its confusing.

Big thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer xx

I'd suggest wait and see what your educator uses/suggests. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Thanks for the reply. Our Tutor is quite vague on the best products to use (mainly because we always seem to run out of time in our classes) but has told us to start getting out there and practising on friends family hence why I'm after suggestions, I'm half way through my course and am currently doing the waxing unit . X

I don't think you need bother with a table just yet, just put a towel on a side table for now. As for the wax heater, the same brand as the one you use in class is fine as you'll be more used to it. Otherwise Hive is decent.

Two thoughts....

1. The generic stuff (products & tools) available from your local wholesalers is cheap enough for practising with on family & friends.

2. The quality is often considerably poorer than the high end pro' brands so you might find it much harder to produce a professional finish.

I would strongly recommend you make the effort to visit one of the main beauty shows during the year and collect samples etc. Some colleges run bus trips but if yours doesn't, make your own arrangements. That way, you'll get to experience what's new or popular and I'm sure you'll find it highly motivating. (Try not to overspend on the credit card though :) )

I like a digital wax heater. I use deo. Price wise they're about the same as the analogue but easier to adjust and harder to misread x

Hive digital heaters are good. As someone suggested, visit a beauty show. Professional Beauty is in February you will get a chance to compare products. Don't cut corners.

Two thoughts....

1. The generic stuff (products & tools) available from your local wholesalers is cheap enough for practising with on family & friends.

2. The quality is often considerably poorer than the high end pro' brands so you might find it much harder to produce a professional finish.

I would strongly recommend you make the effort to visit one of the main beauty shows during the year and collect samples etc. Some colleges run bus trips but if yours doesn't, make your own arrangements. That way, you'll get to experience what's new or popular and I'm sure you'll find it highly motivating. (Try not to overspend on the credit card though :) )

Thanks, we are going to the Beauty show with the college so I'll have to raid the piggy bank, lol x

I like a digital wax heater. I use deo. Price wise they're about the same as the analogue but easier to adjust and harder to misread x

Hi , I have just got one of these wax heaters but confused on how I heat the wax to get it in the heater. At college we rest our pot of wax upside down until it pours in, but on the instructions of this it says you warm it up in the main tank and then decant into inner pot? I'm using salon system gel wax not a Del one if this makes any difference but is that right? Don't want to wreck my heater xx

I do makeup only, not beauty treatments, but I carry a camping table with me to put my products on just in case there isn't anywhere convenient at the venue I'm working at. It was about £12 from Sports Direct (reduced from about £45). It's just a lightweight folding table with a carry handle. It's really handy if I want to sit someone near a window but the nearest table is on the other side of the room!

Latest posts

Back