Newbie help choosing a gel polish brand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoxyK111

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good quality gel polish brand that has minimal odor/solvent. I have the IBD starter kit and whilst I love the quality it is a little too strong for me. I'm really sensitive to odours and solvents and can't use regular nail polish and have discovered checking the MSDS doesn't always help.

The new OPI collection has hardly any smell and is awesome. But as a newbie getting an trade account might be tricky though it's the only place I've seen starter kits for sale. I do have some glitters from the Starlight Collection and they do have a stronger smell apart from a red which I love.

Gellux has little smell from the one I've seen. It's not available in my local Sally's either though I think the starter kits are. Is it worth trying their starter kit? Gelish is what I used on my course and I preferred IBD tbh.

I picked up a couple of ASP and initially liked them, the top coat was awesome but for colour coverage I prefer IBD and OPI.

Any suggestions or brands I might have missed?

Nsi pro polish?
Cuccio veneer?

Cuccio is same company as ASP. Nsi I don't know much about, shall investigate thanks!

Do you find hybrid gel polishes worse,?as they contain solvents? I personally find INK London and Shellac don't smell much, but I'm not sensitive to it.

I know ONine Pure Gels advertise a low odour, and they previously offered free sample kits, so might also be something of interest. :)

I use Shellac and would say that there is no particular smell to it, nor the matching Vinylux polishes.
The only product that is a bit wiffy is the nourishing remover but it smells much nicer than straight acetone.

I didn't bother looking at hybrids initially as I presumed they would smell more. Did try Red Carpet Manicure and Sensationail instores as easily available and both are very strong. Rather my husband sniffed them lol. But as I'm realising it depends on the amount of solvent so now not ignoring them all. IBD has no solvent but is stronger than OPI which does so it gets rather confusing ;)

Ink London I'll apply for an account as I'd forgotten about them. Interesting both of you mention Shellac I had ignored that one. I'll investigate:)

I'll definitely try a Vinylux......I only use waterbased polishes so would be awesome to find a 'normal' polish I could wear and will check out ONine Pure Gels as not heard of those.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tried to order a starter set with ONine but payment wouldn't go through so left them a message. Meanwhile OPI has got back to me and I've ordered a starter kit :)

I don't want to use UV so CND Shellac is out. Just ordered a trial kit from Ink London as well so should keep me busy for a bit!

INK London is great x

I'll find out tomorrow, it's due for delivery :)

Well my OPI GelColor turned up so was really surprised and excited it was so quick.
Then this happened......
IMG_0618.JPG

Sent an email to my contact so waiting to hear back.

INK London trial kit just tuned up and that's a no, top coat is fine but polish too strong. Ah well. At least the OPI had hardly any smell even though it had leaked everywhere!

Latest posts

Back