Newbie L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysk

Reaction score
Dear All, a first post. Practicing with L&P on myself; hope to take training with Grafton/ibd but no formal quals/training in nails yet. Started having my nails done by another member on this site with EzFlow / Creative. Now also having a go myself with a starter kit from The Edge, but now ibd which seems to have a better bead formation and melt for the way I work. I’ve found “The Complete Nail Technician” 2nd ed great for the theory, but really need some live tuition. I’m now quite good with thickness control on most of the nail (so don’t need to do much filing, mainly just 3 way buff sometimes stopping on white), but find zone 3 towards the nail fold very difficult to get uniform and thin. Attached is a photo of centre 3 fingers RH, about 6 weeks old, lifting back of zone 3 (with some loss right most) and de-laminated from free edge 2/3rds or more towards smile line, and chipping on lateral edge form just before smile line through to tips (lhs on left 2). :eek:

I read somewhere here about Capping which I have not found in the book (yet), is this done after refining the thickness of the free edge? I do use Solar oil to keep things nice, but being male, long nails seem to be frowned on, so I am trying to not go too shiny…Question on use of primer, should it be used on zone1 and if not why? Thanks.

Attachments

• AndySK.jpg
    AndySK.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 93
I honestly dont think you will get much advice until you have got some formal training under your belt, its a bit frowned uppon working on nails without knowing 100% what your doing... no offence intended but your nails are a real mess... I'd in all honesty go see your qualified friend and either have them removed or replaced, and if your really interested book some formal training :)

Hi and welcome to the site,

If you use a tip then you prime only the natural nail not the tip, if you don't use tips the prime the the whole nail, this dehydrate the nail for better adhesion, I have only been doing nails for a few month's,

I would advise that you get proper tuition, especially if you are going to do other peoples nails. You need to know the product you are using and how to apply safley or you could get over exposure if you you keep getting it on the skin. I am sure someone more qualified than me will be able to put you on the right track though.:)

Most of the courses for L&P are based on artificial tips:irked:. I have been successful with sculpture on my thumbs and even small finger (where the standard forms are really too large) where they survived for a good 6 weeks intact. My main interest is in keeping my own natural nails, working in IT in PC’s cabinets, pulling cables etc doesn’t treat long nails all that well, and mine had tended to split/tear across the nailplate near the smile line leading to loss of zone1 especially on index fingers. L&P seems to stop this happening.

Would like to work up to BT25, BT27 with my interests in modelling and photography. I have trained in fitness qualified at L2 (+ a bit more), and see no reason why I should not be able to do so in Nails, training costs are cheaper than for exercise, mainly the problem with time off work and travel. Essentialnails have some nice DL courses, but I would prefer tutored, especially as there is little difference in cost, then I could get insurance, maybe clients… as with exercise, you don’t just go for the assessments (not allowed) but study theory of anatomy / physiology and practice before.

Nails seems only recently to have taken this path, previously being based on training from suppliers of particular products / systems. I don’t expect too many nail techs are honours degree qualified, including cell biology, or chemistry, it appears from comments elsewhere on this forum that a lot of the people on the trade shows have even less knowledge with comments on gels not being acrylic, material allowing the nails to breath, being organic:confused:…

If I wanted my nails just to look good and survive and cheaply I could go to a cheap quick MMA nail bar with little knowledge of COSHH or sanitisation etc:mad:, I always like to understand the theory and practice of things I enjoy, I will probably never work in a salon, but I may end up helping out an MUA:|

"Most of the courses for L&P are based on artificial tips"
yes they focus on Tipping but thats just an extension method.. sculpting is another.. As this is a professional site I don't think anyone should be giving you any advice on application or anything other than to seek out some formal training

I have trained in fitness qualified at L2 (+ a bit more), and see no reason why I should not be able to do so in Nails

so what is stopping you from gaining the qual in nail technology?

I don’t expect too many nail techs are honours degree qualified, including cell biology, or chemistry

A lot of this is covered in the Basic Nail Technology in this country, and you are then able to move on to such things as "Masters" and "Ambassador" (CND) So yes quite a few do have a "higher" level in nail technology.

I always like to understand the theory and practice of things I enjoy, I will probably never work in a salon, but I may end up helping out an MUA

This is where training is important

Classy Claws: I think you have said it all, nothing left to say in my opinion!!

Hiya xx

Great pics...so clear....looks like a possible prep problem you have....best way forward is to do a course...they will teach all about prepping the nail prior to application.

And hey...who says men cant have long nails...women have short hair...:lol: xx

it appears from comments elsewhere on this forum that a lot of the people on the trade shows have even less knowledge with comments on gels not being acrylic, material allowing the nails to breath, being organic:confused:…

I am just confused by this comment.

For many of the professionals here state that gels are acrlic just composed differently. Nails dont have lungs or gills they dont breath nor can we let our nails rest they dont sleep and as for as them being organic they contain carbon but if you would read some of the posts in reguards to this there are companies that state their products are organic and you can eat it... so if you feel we have less knowledge then why ask advice?

For many of us were take our training serious personally I have to do 30 hours every 2 years to keep my instructors certificate. We extend our education and always trying to better ourselves in our industry for myself its training between hair,nails and esthetics.

If you have someone that can help then that would be a great option some things just arnt the same as reading out of a book what is what.

Why wouldnt you want to seek proper training this isnt just a pass time for us but a career choice.

Hiya xx

Great pics...so clear....looks like a possible prep problem you have....best way forward is to do a course...they will teach all about prepping the nail prior to application.

And hey...who says men cant have long nails...women have short hair...:lol: xx

I fully agree I have men students that always have their make up on even go to their jobs this way, sometimes come in drag, and wear extensions on their nails.

I think he was referring to the thread about what some nail techs where saying at GMEX (the Manchester show)....i don't think he meant this is what any of us where saying.

gotcha thanks I said I was confused :)

Yes it was a near quote from the GMEX thread, it might not be the case but unfortunately sales people sometimes put an incorrect slant on things, and if stands rely on “Promo” models to demo/sell goods that’s who they get their information from. Most professional bodies require certain qualifications/skills to join, and after that CPD. OK some people are happy using just the necessary skills, and professional bodies can cost a lot just to belong (my electrical/electronic one was costing me about £300 /year !). Additional training always has some cost both financially and in time, so its not always possible to do all you might like in each year, but even training in new materials and techniques must be of benefit, and those that keep their qualifications to instruct/assess are to be commended.:)

Latest posts

Back