newbie nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatabeauty

Reaction score
hi all, i've not visited for a while, i hope everyone is keeping well!

i have (will) be passed as nail tech in a couple of weeks, i have spent the best part of nearly a year at college studying to be a nail technician, the thing is i don't feel qualified enough to walk into a salon/ nail bar,

i am confident my full set of acrylics are good, and my fibreglass application is ok, we weren't assessed on sculptures, we weren't assessed on gel, we weren't assessed on french white acrylic application, everything i think a salon is looking for. The tutor didn't feel the need to teach us things we weren't being assessed on which is fair enough i suppose, and we had our 3rd tutor since september after easter, so i felt i could have learn't more if i wanted as i'm quick to learn and she would have shown us,
i am also at college training to be a beauty Therapist, but i'm only coming to the end of my 1st year of my NVQ 2, which isn't enough for most salons either. I'm not sure what to do now i'm finished as a nail tech, i don't want to wait til i've done my NVQ 3 thats another 3 years away, but i feel i will lose the confidence if i don't go out there soon, shall i only do family and friends, shall i advertise as a mobile Tech????, so may questions, sorry bout the long post.

I do want to do a Creative conversion course (when the funds allow it), will this help, or will i have to know the gel application?

I think it would be good for you to phone a couple of salons or go in and see if they have a Saturday job, it will be good experience for you to go in as a junior, I didn't have to do gel to go for my creative conversion, but it has all changed recently. Give head office a call they will inform you whats best for you.

Latest posts

Back