Newbie needing advice in general!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am not fully qualified yet, but I am insured as a 'student' - I'm only doing an online course, as this allows me to study for as long as I want, as apposed to one night a week at my local college. I received my first 3 modules, and realised that there is no actual 'practical' work to be marked, its all theory.:sad:

I really really want my work to be professional, and I want to give my future clients the best nails I possibly can. I'm learning with 'Netlearners'.
I would appreciate ANY feedback on this course, good or bad! - What do you guys think?

I personally think my 'practical' skills are very good, as I have basically bought the 'encyclopedia of nails' and taught myself - Im going to put a pic of my work on my profile, as my main picture, I'd love to hear your comments! again, good or bad!!!

[just done that, its the pic above - a gel nail with freehand art - purple flower - uploaded some more pics on my profile - comments please!!!]
I'm hoping to set up as a mobile technician, and have done a few clients, they have all been happy with the l&p acrylics I have done for them. I cant be that bad can I????

I am using 'Mercia' products at the mo, and I use my local 'Sally's' for my products.

I have quit my full time job in banking, as I was totally fed up and thinking about becoming a nail tech for a long time, so I decided to take the plunge!

And here I am. I have a friend who owns a printing company, and I am seeing him on Monday eve to get some leaflets and business cards sorted. I'm then going to do some dooor to door leaflet drops round my area, and in the town center, handing the leaflets out and talking to the public.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about my current situation.

Ive spent alot of money on my equipment, uv lamp - etc etc - and I really want to make this work!

Thanks to everyone xxx:Love:

Hi francesXXX,
My own response would to do a course that offers both practical and theory.
I cant see how this company can award you with a nail tech qualification when you wont ever get to touch a nail ???????
I would recommend that you look at the education on offer by the top companies and then go down this route.
Hths

This is exactly my point! I'll up load some photos to my profile gallery, as ive now got paid subscription - please take a look and tell me what y'all think!

Its rubbish, as ive now paid for this course, and cant get out of it now. x

fificharlie said:
This is exactly my point! I'll up load some photos to my profile gallery, as ive now got paid subscription - please take a look and tell me what y'all think!

Its rubbish, as ive now paid for this course, and cant get out of it now. x

I do think that if you were sold this course without being told that it was just theory then surely the company is misleading the public?
I hope you can get it sorted babes look forward to seeing your pic's the avatar pic is lovely :hug:

Done. A pic is now uploaded at last!!!! thanks for your support! x

mho is there is no better nail tech training that classroom based i took up a home learn course in L&P and found that once i attended a classroom based enviroment that was when i actully started learning although i have finished my courses now i still feel as if i need more training but i wasted alot of money on courses that were not to the standard i wanted to learn (not bad mouthing any companies just my oppionion).

I would advise you to take up some real training with a reputable company and get a proper qulification i dont think you should be taking on clients without it.

Before i did any training i was practicing on friends and family and charging only to cover the cost of my products.

Lellipop said:
I do think that if you were sold this course without being told that it was just theory then surely the company is misleading the public?
I hope you can get it sorted babes look forward to seeing your pic's the avatar pic is lovely :hug:

Unfortunatly there is alot of this that goes on thats why this board is so great we have so many wonderful people who help us make the right choices when we are chosing training.

hi francesXXX. what a shame about your course! You really need a tutor to see your practical work. However, i do think that because you can already do them you are already half way there but it would be good to have a critical eye on them if you know what i mean. She may notice things that you don't even know about due to lack of practical tutoring.

Good luck with your business by the way. it's good fun but such hard work when you're starting out- trust me!!

is there any way you could get the money back on your course? How much was it if you don't mind me asking? I don't understand how they can award you without seeing your work. If you did want to do it from home, have you looked at the Essential nails course? somebody ncorrect me if i'm wrong but i think that you have to send the nails you have done to them for marking xx

Hiya Kadie - I paid £215.00

I actually saw the essential nails course three weeks after I enrolled on the course im on at the moment! I saw it and thought that it was really good!

Ive looked into getting my money back - its impossible!

This is probably a classic msitake made by many, (I hope)!

I know what you mean about the critical eye thing, thats what I want! I need proper sound advice on my work.

mmmm. Bit of a muddle I'm in then eh??!! Hrmph. Im annoyed with net learners!!!!

thanks for all your comments x

Hi hun, I love your nail art, and from what I can see your nails are pretty good to, but it is difficult to see from a photo:biggrin: The proof of the pudding is, how long they stay on with out lifting and what they look like as they grow out, I am my own biggest critic on this.
There are some very good training companies out there but I would say your first job is to contact the company you are already with and ask them how much is theoryy and how much practical and if you don't like the % then return the moduals you have and ask for your refund. Provided you return the goods in the condition you received them they have to give you a refund, probebley minus the postage charge but they can not refuse your refund, its your statutory right.
That said every course worth its money will start with theory, it has to you must know all about the products, industry, contra indications etc before you get started. Good luck hun and remember, be firm but always be polite.:biggrin:

fificharlie said:
Hiya Kadie - I paid £215.00

I actually saw the essential nails course three weeks after I enrolled on the course im on at the moment! I saw it and thought that it was really good!

Ive looked into getting my money back - its impossible!

This is probably a classic msitake made by many, (I hope)!

I know what you mean about the critical eye thing, thats what I want! I need proper sound advice on my work.

mmmm. Bit of a muddle I'm in then eh??!! Hrmph. Im annoyed with net learners!!!!

thanks for all your comments x

It is hun i for one spent alot of money on training paying out to different companies because i couldnt afford to go with the one i wanted i could have paid for that training two fole by now.

So now ive got my piggy Bank and hes gettin nice and fat so hopefully soon i should be able to go with the company i wanted to orginally.

fificharlie said:
Hello all!

I received my first 3 modules, and realised that there is no actual 'practical' work to be marked, its all theory.:sad:
Is there definately no practical?? Or just none in those first 3 modules?? It is possible that you have to begin with theory before you start?? If not I think your course is a dude. You need to be taught your practical & be told what mistakes your making & how to fix them.
SO much of doing nails is practice but you need to be taught the proper skills to making sure your not practiceing the wrong way

Well hun I have to say I was very surprised when I saw your work, it is very good. But just think how much better it could be if you got some really good training.

Sadly I think your best option maybe to put this "course" and the expense of it down to experience and reinvest elsewhere. Do a search on training on this site and you wil see that a. you're not the only person to be duped, b) that good training costs a hell of a lot more than you paid c) that it is better to have hands on training where someone assesses your work and d) thre are a lot of good companies out there.

Latest posts

Back