Newbie saying hello and needing help :D

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie84

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Hope you are all well.
I've been reading these forums for over 2 years but never posted so..... ta-da! My first post :lol: (sorry if its in the wrong place ??)
I need some advice and guidance and who better to ask than the professionals!
So, here goes...

5 years ago I did an evening class at my local college which covered mani/pedi, hygeine, health n safety, gel, fibre glass/silk wraps, L+P (using both forms and tips.) We were taught a LOT over 7 months and i loved every minute of it. Unfortunately i got realy sick towards the end and i couldnt do any of the practical assesments. (had pneumonia so workin with powders and fumes had me wheezing. :sad: )
I got the SVQ for mani/pedi but not for the enhancements so i know im not qualified to do them on others and i haven't. I've not been able to get back to complete the training which sucks cos i really loved it. :cry: the course is now booked solid for the next 2 years.

I have been doin my own with gels/L+P and experimentin with 3d nail art. I dont use profesional products as i know every brand has its own technique. (ive stuck with the rubbish stuff from college because thts all i know but im dyin to try others :green:) my friends and family are always lookin at mine and askin me to do theirs. I always say NO as im not fully trained and would hate to hurt them in any way.
Now i want to get some proper training in both gel and L+P and have been lookin at options available but im a wee bit confused about it all and at what i need to do. I try to keep up to date with new techniques and all aspects of nail care/ health and safety issues etc. (im a bit of a bookworm so i read a LOT about it lol)

So my questions are......
1) Do i do a foundation course or conversion? (my understanding of a conversion course is someone who has experience already. would i qualify for this type of course?) or should a wait for the college course in 2 years THEN do a conversion to the brand i choose?
2) which brand do i go for? i'd like to do CREATIVE, LCN or YOUNG NAILS. which do you think i would benefit from the most? (im in scotland so travelin would be a big issue. i could get to edinburgh/glasgow)
3) id like to offer gels and L+P so do i do the two with the same trainer?

phew! sorry its a bit long but i dont want to rush into anythin and end up making mistakes or regrettin what i've done. so any advice would be great thanks :) xxx

You would need to do the foundation as you havnt qualified in them, I trained with cnd they are very good with top-quality products that really stand out. My advice would be choose one system master that one before thinking of offering a second. I wouldnt wait for the college course you'll be better off going direct to a good company because most good companies like you to train with them before you can buy their products. Contact sweet squared they do cnd for a training booklet. Good luck :)

Sorry to hijack your posts but I agree that mastering one technique is best... What would you suggest is better Princess Laya? I am too on the verge of booking with (hopefully S2) a product company as opposed to college and I am torn between Gel and Acrylic... Which is better and more requested in you opinion? :hug:

It's really difficult I trained at college in L&P gel & fibreglass then chose the cnd l & p route because I liked the cnd acrylic overall finish the best. Acrylic is the hardest to master also I would also take into consideration if doing both systems the initial outlay , the courses, as to how buzy you think you are going to be as you need to doing lots of both to be good if you get what I mean! You may want to do some research as to which is offered in your area, then offer the one to be different. :)

Hello everyone! Hope you are all well.
I've been reading these forums for over 2 years but never posted so..... ta-da! My first post :lol: (sorry if its in the wrong place ??)
I need some advice and guidance and who better to ask than the professionals!
So, here goes...

5 years ago I did an evening class at my local college which covered mani/pedi, hygeine, health n safety, gel, fibre glass/silk wraps, L+P (using both forms and tips.) We were taught a LOT over 7 months and i loved every minute of it. Unfortunately i got realy sick towards the end and i couldnt do any of the practical assesments. (had pneumonia so workin with powders and fumes had me wheezing. :sad: )
I got the SVQ for mani/pedi but not for the enhancements so i know im not qualified to do them on others and i haven't. I've not been able to get back to complete the training which sucks cos i really loved it. :cry: the course is now booked solid for the next 2 years.

I have been doin my own with gels/L+P and experimentin with 3d nail art. I dont use profesional products as i know every brand has its own technique. (ive stuck with the rubbish stuff from college because thts all i know but im dyin to try others :green:) my friends and family are always lookin at mine and askin me to do theirs. I always say NO as im not fully trained and would hate to hurt them in any way.
Now i want to get some proper training in both gel and L+P and have been lookin at options available but im a wee bit confused about it all and at what i need to do. I try to keep up to date with new techniques and all aspects of nail care/ health and safety issues etc. (im a bit of a bookworm so i read a LOT about it lol)

So my questions are......
1) Do i do a foundation course or conversion? (my understanding of a conversion course is someone who has experience already. would i qualify for this type of course?) or should a wait for the college course in 2 years THEN do a conversion to the brand i choose?
2) which brand do i go for? i'd like to do CREATIVE, LCN or YOUNG NAILS. which do you think i would benefit from the most? (im in scotland so travelin would be a big issue. i could get to edinburgh/glasgow)
3) id like to offer gels and L+P so do i do the two with the same trainer?

phew! sorry its a bit long but i dont want to rush into anythin and end up making mistakes or regrettin what i've done. so any advice would be great thanks :) xxx

Hello
I also trained with CDN back in 1998 and can't recommend them highly enough. I believe there is a Creative Nail Academy in Edinburgh and so I would suggest you either contact them direct or (as Princess Layla suggested) contact S2 for info on all their courses.

I did nails for 6 years and only ever offered L&P as it is the strongest. If you give people too much choice when you first start out I think you can end up being a 'jack of all' rather that a 'master of one' thing :)

HTH Cheers

thanks u amazing peeps!
foundation course it is then :D
its mostly gels (calgel and bio) used in my area. not many offer L+P or 3d nail art as such. thts why i kinda wanted to do both but like u said michelle, its better to master one than none right? :)
ill give S2 a call right now and see what i can do.
thanks again, im sure ill be back with more FAQ's later on :D
xxx

Latest posts

Back