Newbie to lashes, help please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leahlash

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a complete newbie looking for some advice.
After being a stay at home mum for 2 yrs (& before that a city worker ) I have taken the plunge & I am doing an eyelash extension course (individual extensions) along with threading as an added extra.
I'm only doing it for a bit of pocket money on friends & family at a reduced price for now but I'm hoping that once I get more confident I can start my own mobile business & add other treatments as and when. I don't qualify until June but I have a few questions for you just so I can all my info together...
A few questions are:

How many sets would you say you need to complete before offering to the general public? Or is it just a case of confidence?

What brand glue/eyelashes do you find the best eg which ones dry quicker etc?

What price structure do you use? Eg do you charge for the time it takes, the look they want or the amount of lashes used?

Excuse me if I sound a complete novice but I am! ;)

Hi I don't do lashes but for your first question I would say its down to the individual, once yr 100% happy (or very near that) then I would go and work on the public, we all learn different, some need more time some don't but once yr work is at a standard yr happy with Then that's the time to work on the public, good luck x x

Hiya! I'm on my 14th set and no where near ready to charge full price! (I plan on charging £50 for a full set, £40 for half set I think) it depends on the individual, there's some people on here with amazing 5th set (very jealous!)

To start you'l want a slower drying glue, so use up what would be in your starter kit if you have one. Then lash emporium is pretty good and fast drying!

What I did before going on training is got my lil pad and paper and went through all the eyelash extension threads on here and wrote down all relevant information, like what different curls/thickness/length to start with, where buy supplies, tackling tiny lashes. Theres alot to remember so best of luck and happy researching x

I have done about 15 sets. I charge half price tell clients I am newly trained. I also tint foc if needed. That way everyone is happy. The ones I have done have been happy if they were not I would just redo foc. I have decided will carry on doing half price untill I have used all my glue. When I have to buy a new bottle I will increase my price lol xxx

You cant really put a number of sets or a time scale on before you can charge full price as everyone is different. some students find it easy to pick up and they are ready to go in no time and some other students take a long time to get into it.

It very much depends how easy you find it and how the results come out on your clients.

With regards to the charge. i would recommend setting a fixed price (that is the price that you eventually want to charge) and then offer an introductiory price so that customers know its a special and dont expect this to be the ongoing price. Its always better to offer a special rather than having to increase the price at some point.

On the infills you can either do it per week, ie if a client comes back after one week X and after two weeks XX or you can charge per lashes replaced or per time spent.

I agree. Its about confidence. I can honestly say although I have been doing it just over 2 years I think the last year I am confident (although we all have our bad days!)

Its all a matter of trail and error which different lashes and glues and everyones technique is different

Thanks ladies very useful answers- I too have been swotting up on all the relevant lash posts on here lol!
I will only be lashing friends and family at first but il see how I get on. I'm sure I will have loads more questions to ask in the future! X

Latest posts

Back