Newbie to nail world. Career questions for techs & entrepreneurs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missashhh

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
These SalonGeek forums seem to have a wealth of information and many of you seem to be so supportive of one another in all areas of life, so I'm excited to join this Community.

I'm 26 years old and have finally figured out a few things about myself after many directionless years. I've always loved art but never went to art school because I never could see myself as a traditional artist, but oddly enough I feel that creativity is my given "gift". I've loved nail art since I was like, 4. I clearly remember from that age, picking up a sparkling green polish out of my mom's nail kit (she went to tech school) eager to use it and all the doo-dad embellishments, but mom telling me I had to wait til I was a big girl.

Now I put together my own nail art kit. A UV lamp, Light Elegance gels, brushes, dotting tools, acrylic powders, wall mounted polish rack with a great selection. I give myself the best pedicures I've ever had. I've watched tutorials on YouTube and learned most stuff there. It's been mainly a hobby, but after reading NailPro magazine it seems like a career within reach and I love the fact that you can make it your own business, something else I've also always wanted.

My dilemma: Not sure how to go about tech school. I'm not interested in hair, only nails. All schools I've found are all-rounded programs and cost is $10,000-15,000. Is this real? Where do I even get that kind of money? It's only my opinion, but for that kind of $ finishing my college degree (2 years left to get my Bachelor's) seems like a better investment, as much as I'd like to become a tech.

Also, how hard is it opening up shop for yourself? How long did it take you, how did you fund it? Is it a secure career that you can count on paying the bills and putting something away for retirement? Can you give me the walk-through of how you became a successful tech?

Last edited:
I would start buy choosing a brand you wish to use and train through them, as most places only sell to professionals and some to those only trained through them. That way your learning just nails and with a a great product instead of cheaper stuff

Seems rather steep , I see your in Florida , maybe try contacting the state board there and asking them if they can recommend any schools in your area ,

Thanks Nail_Envy. Can I complete programs through brands and still practice or recieve the necessary education to pass state boards, do you think?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back