Newbie with questions about Biz & Education

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missashhh

Reaction score
So hi,
My name is Ashley and recently I've become obsessive over nails, more than I ever was as a teenager. I've built up quite a train case full of nail supplies and have experimented with gel and acrylic.

I've received a ton of compliments on nail art that I've done on my own and even had people say they would like me to do their nails. Of course I'm not professionally trained and know myself that I need much more practice.

So yeah, I've thought about going to school for this and starting a career. My concerns are that most schools here charge $15k+ for their mail program. There is a county tech school that offers a Cosmo program @ $5k which is more reasonable. I have my AA and I feel like for $15k I could finish out my bachelors degree and the county program would be great except it appears the majority of the program is hair dressing for which I have zero interest.

Is it possible for me to study on my own and take the state board test ? I know you have to have so many client hours, but I've heard a peep about the option of apprenticing (if you can find someone)? Are there online courses for the textbook stuff?

Also, I've been reading many issues of Nail Pro magazine and reading articles in there. It just sounds like you really can become successful with this art and not just end up with an ends-meet career. Then I heard horror stories about people making only $10/hr and price has been driven down by illegal immigrants who will work for pennies and the like. If I do this, I want to be a success, I want to do competitions and I think I have the passion to do it..I was always a perfectionist in art class and fellow students always liked my work. I think I can find that part of me again through nails, but I don't want to pay a boat load of cash and work on $10/hr the rest of my life.

Seriously?? No body has any input?? ;(

Latest posts

Back