Newbies to the industry not that busy this Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
Everyone has been telling me "You'll be busy at Christmas"
But I'm not that much busier, I feel a bit down about it.

Are there any other newbies not especially busy right now
BTW this is my first christmas. :SAD:

Me! This is my first christmas, ive only been doing nails for two months now. Im not worried that im not busy because i dont have a large client base its actully pretty small. I havent advertised all that much either so not a great deal of people no that i do nails. Its pretty much word of mouth and facebook. However people that have come to me once or twice have booked in for nails this week in preperation for christmas, im still not that busy though.

Have you advertised well that you are doing christmas nails?

I have done some advertising but obviously not enough. Mind you I've been very down lately and the docs put me on tablets.

I suppose the good thing is that i dont rely on this as an income. I'm just hoping I'll get some last min bookings, a few of those will make a difference and maybe next year will be a bit better as I'll be a bit more established.

I need to keep positive and a good kick up the jacksey wont go a miss :smack:

This happens every year. I am a hairdresser as well and after 7 years of trading this is the first year I've been busy. So I think that people tighten their belt cause their spending on other things. Offer something nice to them for the new year and they will bite your hand off I'm sure.
It's always difficult when you first start out. I do a recommend a friend offer and it really does work.

This happens every year. I am a hairdresser as well and after 7 years of trading this is the first year I've been busy. So I think that people tighten their belt cause their spending on other things. Offer something nice to them for the new year and they will bite your hand off I'm sure.
It's always difficult when you first start out. I do a recommend a friend offer and it really does work.

I do a loyalty scheme, I've made little xmas gift bags to retail and I've made some jewellrey to sell.

I've made little thank you gift bags for regular clients with a £5 off voucher to be used between jan/feb.
I could offer gelish nails at a slightly cheaper price over jan/feb/march as well.

Perhaps I'm expecting a bit too much as it's my first year

Claire I've seen your post on chit chat, hope the tablets are starting to kick in my sweet. Just wanted to say it takes a long time to build a client base and just because it's Christmas doesn't mean everyone is automatically busy. This is my 5th Christmas and it's only last year that it really went mental. This year is but it's mostly regular clients booking extra treatments rather than new clients. It took me a good 3 years to build up a solid client base. It's so easy to see the negative side of things in your situation, I've been there. Keep your chin up and remember how much you have achieved just by starting your own business in the first place. Don't judge yourself by other people's successes, keep doing what you do best and it will all come in time xx.

Claire I've seen your post on chit chat, hope the tablets are starting to kick in my sweet. Just wanted to say it takes a long time to build a client base and just because it's Christmas doesn't mean everyone is automatically busy. This is my 5th Christmas and it's only last year that it really went mental. This year is but it's mostly regular clients booking extra treatments rather than new clients. It took me a good 3 years to build up a solid client base. It's so easy to see the negative side of things in your situation, I've been there. Keep your chin up and remember how much you have achieved just by starting your own business in the first place. Don't judge yourself by other people's successes, keep doing what you do best and it will all come in time xx.

Ahh thats the nicest post ever :hug:

My hubby says I'm too hard on myself, weight issues, nails etc. Lack of confidence has been a downer on my life.

Thanks for your positive post xxx

What a difference a day makes! :D
I've taken an extra 7 bookings today, 1 gel extension for tomorrow, a bridal party of 5 coming on friday (she's already paid the deposit & it's gonna be a late one, lol) and another gelish polish on monday.

So now i only have one appointment left before xmas.............Happy Again :hug:

I've taken an extra 7 bookings today, 1 gel extension for tomorrow, a bridal party of 5 coming on friday (she's already paid the deposit & it's gonna be a late one, lol) and another gelish polish on monday.

So now i only have one appointment left before xmas.............Happy Again :hug:

Well done! I'm really pleased for you. I hope you enjoy the rush, this will really build up your confidence. Xx

Lovely post gives some of use newbies hope! I've only been opened a year opened last Christmas.

I've only had my 3 regulars coming.
Partly my fault, as I had a fall at work, so off sick, haven't promoted or advertised much.

Made me think though that me what can I offer that other salons don't.
I did a Acrylic design course in Nove 2010, but never really practised or got into it, due to other things going on, but I finally cracked it!

I've been practising in my salon with the time I'm off, watching Gemma Lamberts tutorials on you tube and I might not be great at my first attempt, but I'll carry on till I am.

Will upload some pictures.

Work I've been doing first attempts so willing to take any feedback! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1387415254.503590.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1387415282.721717.jpg

That's brilliant news Claire! :D

I've been doing nails since August and i'm steady... not busy but steady. Just building my client base up at the moment

Hi claire how's your Christmas been. Hope you were busy. It's been an odd year customer wise for me. Xxxx

Hi claire how's your Christmas been. Hope you were busy. It's been an odd year customer wise for me. Xxxx

Yes nice and busy, bloody manic on the sat and mon before xmas. Dead as a dodo now, but not to worry. I gave a £5 off voucher to clients to use in jan/feb so hopefully that will make sure they come back to me.

Got my crystal nails e-file and doing the training this sat so can't wait, plus I'm going to excel on the sunday 23rd (my b-day is the day after) so I'm looking forward to that and I've got my eyes on the crystal nail one move course too.

so lots to look forward in 2014 x

Why has it been an odd year customer wise for you? have u not been as busy as previous years?

I only have about 4 clients a week but xmas has been my busiest so far, for me that only means 3 days with more than 2 clients lol so not busy by most standards. Ive been open since May so I wasn't expecting to be very busy xx

I only have about 4 clients a week but xmas has been my busiest so far, for me that only means 3 days with more than 2 clients lol so not busy by most standards. Ive been open since May so I wasn't expecting to be very busy xx

I guess we've just got to hang on in there, things will get better xx

Just wanted to say not to worry as I think lots of people do tighten their belts at Xmas and nails seems to be the first thing to go!! It takes time and patience to be busy so definitely hang on there. My first Xmas was dead, my second was manic and third even more....make sure you are offering what people want and at prices they can afford as well as no one near you is undercutting you!!!

Just wanted to say not to worry as I think lots of people do tighten their belts at Xmas and nails seems to be the first thing to go!! It takes time and patience to be busy so definitely hang on there. My first Xmas was dead, my second was manic and third even more....make sure you are offering what people want and at prices they can afford as well as no one near you is undercutting you!!!

Thanks Souz x

Last edited:
Yes nice and busy, bloody manic on the sat and mon before xmas. Dead as a dodo now, but not to worry. I gave a £5 off voucher to clients to use in jan/feb so hopefully that will make sure they come back to me.

Got my crystal nails e-file and doing the training this sat so can't wait, plus I'm going to excel on the sunday 23rd (my b-day is the day after) so I'm looking forward to that and I've got my eyes on the crystal nail one move course too.

so lots to look forward in 2014 x

Why has it been an odd year customer wise for you? have u not been as busy as previous years?

Oh had a member of staff leave and slagged us off to all the clients so it's been a bit hard retaining the customers.

When is excel. I would love to go. Xx

Latest posts

Back