newby needing advice on wax pots? any other way than using a fresh spatula each time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Iv just started waxing in college and we have been told that we should use a fresh spatula each time we go into the wax, as when we apply the wax to the skin we are picking up hundreds of dead skin cells and even blood, if we are next to an area with blood droplets(I hope I dont draw blood???) therefore due to cross contamination we are to use a new spatula each time. She said imagine a client previously having a brazilian or full bikin wax and they kept putting the same spatula in after apllying on the clients bikini area ,then a client comes in and has her upper lip wax from the same pot, its not a very pleasant thought is it!:irked:

Now when iv had waxing in a salon they used the same spatula each time? My question is are there alternatives to this as we went through nearly a box of spatulas on just 3 clients, so it would not be very cost effective in a salon, and I guess thats the reason for using the same one?:eek: Or do you charge like wise?

Can you buy little minature wax pots that you add just enough for each client and use one spatula, then for the next client you get another one ready etc etc instead of having one large pot all the time?

or are there any other systems out there that therapists are using, as i want to purchase a honey wax (or other if recommended) system to practise on my family but dont want to cross infect them:irked:

cheers
nenee:)

i use phd, ellisons do a very good student version of it, only about 30 quid, and its very hygenic, also check out rollerwax as they are a similar idea too! salon systems also do their own version of rollerwaxing, and they too do a student kit for about 30£. I have worked in a salon with the post & spatula method, but nothing (in my opinion) beats the phd system when it comes to limiting your chances of cross infection. good luck hun x

You can use the phd system which stops wax thats been in contact with a clients skin flowing back in to the tube. Hive do a roller system but I'm not sure if this is set up to prevene contaminated wax going back.

You can always use the other end of the spatula, as you keep waxing you'll learn to work cleaner so you won't find this such a mess, you can wrap the contaminated end in a strip and use the other or break them in half. Also in time you will learn how to pick more up with the spatula so you would need to return to the pot fewer times therefore using fewer spatulas.
Spatulas are quite inexpencive though so should never be returned to the pot for the sake of safety. xx

Hi

there are lots of diffrent ways round this if i was you do a search on here as this has come up a few times so there will be plenty of good info:)

Whilst at college you need to do the way you were taught, but when you are out on your own you can use which method suits you best. As said it has been discussed on here many times so have a good search but stick to the way you were taught for now.

i wouldnt worry about the cost as they are only about 1p each.

a good way is to dribble wax from a spatula in the pot onto the one you are using , voila no contamination :green: although its a bit faffy :lol:

You don't need to use a new spatula each dip for general body waxing, although you do on intimate areas.

The spautala doesn't touch the skin as the wax is between it and the skin. Also, I wonder if your tutor says the same about nail polish. For example, does she say that you should use a new polish brush each time it touches the cuticle? I doubt it.

Hi Angel Fingers.....where can I get spautla's for 1p each? I pay about 3p each for mine and I'm looking for a new supplier. xxx

Spatulas for a penny each? I got mine from Beauty Express - 99p for one hundred, you can find them here. Or if you buy 50 boxes they are 75p a box ... £37.50 for 5,000 sticks of wood!

Mat

Wow

I didnt realise how cheap they are its a small price to pay for professional service to clients.

Thanks for all the great advice I learn so much on here.

Also which is the best product to use as a pre cleanse and after care lotion especially for sensitiv skins as i look like a plucked chicken after althought it calms down, is tee tree any good or can it irritate sensitive skins and can you use it on the face as iv had a very nasty rash on my upper lip with an allergy rash and swelling!
:irked:

You will find that alot of clients can look like a plucked chicken when your finished! I like to use tea tree before and after treatments if I am waxing someone with particually oily skin as I think it helps with breakouts. I find this really good when waxing my other halfs back.

I tend not to use the scented treatments on clients with sensitive skin, just incase. I also use creme wax on sensitive skins as it works at a slightly lower temperature. HTH's xx

If you don't want to stick with any particular brand as I do, you could use pure Aloe Vera which is excellent. I've got a feeling that Fozzyo is a distributor (I think).

Also which is the best product to use as a pre cleanse and after care lotion especially for sensitiv skins as i look like a plucked chicken after althought it calms down, is tee tree any good or can it irritate sensitive skins and can you use it on the face as iv had a very nasty rash on my upper lip with an allergy rash and swelling!
:irked:

I second Kim's vote for pure Aloe Vera. The Sterex Apres Cosmetic Cream (clear version) is also brilliant - it's designed for use after electrolysis but contains anti-inflammatory ingredients that make it particularly great for sensitive areas and highly reactive skins.

Andy x

Thanks for that I will look into the aloe vera as I know its great for burns too

cheers
:)

You don't need to use a new spatula each dip for general body waxing, although you do on intimate areas.

The spautala doesn't touch the skin as the wax is between it and the skin. Also, I wonder if your tutor says the same about nail polish. For example, does she say that you should use a new polish brush each time it touches the cuticle? I doubt it.

Hi Angel Fingers.....where can I get spautla's for 1p each? I pay about 3p each for mine and I'm looking for a new supplier. xxx

think its salonserve.
i just buy a load when i order other stuff.
i only wax eyebrows now coz i got a bad back.
still do my own legs though.

I'm still at college too and we use three spatulas per client. Place one over the top of the pot as a rest, then use one to dip and dribble onto the third (which is the one you apply the wax with). We rest the spatulas on the first one when applying and removing the strip, they don't get too covered in wax as they're not in the actual pot. It is a bit fiddly though!

I'm still at college too and we use three spatulas per client. Place one over the top of the pot as a rest, then use one to dip and dribble onto the third (which is the one you apply the wax with). We rest the spatulas on the first one when applying and removing the strip, they don't get too covered in wax as they're not in the actual pot. It is a bit fiddly though!

what a pallaver for the sake of a few pence:rolleyes:

Well I suppose thats colleges for you, they are so strict on waste and do not have the funds its so sad. My college actually ran out of dermalogica products and due to the cost they could not order till january till they got more funding! so we were using all the wrong products for skin types(which ever had a little of product left in them!) whilst practising madness

Its different when you work for yourself using spatulas which only cost 99 p for a hundred which should do at least 3 clients, is not expensive at all and I think I will start off as Im trained with the honey wax and pot, and use a new spatula each time, then when I do further wax training I will look into an alternative system then, otherwise i will buy products that il never use, cant run before i can walk as they say!

Any make of honey wax better than most, is there a make that I should keep clear of? or are they all the same?

I think il defo look into the aloe vera as an after care application as I know it is used for clients who have had lasers etc and it is very calming on the skin.

cheers:)

Latest posts

Back