Newly Creative

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c-lion

Reaction score
Hi everyone, what a great site this is, definitely the best!

Have recently registered but daren't post anything up to now!

I did my L & P training with Star Nails and then did a pre-masters last year with Creative in Leeds. I found the training brilliant, though I'm still very much a novice: 2 1/2 hrs to do a set!
Went to the OSNS a couple of days ago, to discover you're relocating a mile from my house! Can you imagine my poor hubby's dismay!
I'd like to know, are you moving lock, stock, or is the Academy staying put? Presumably the first so we can buy products as needed.

I hope to start from scratch with Creative later in the year (need to wind husband round finger first!). I see in the prospectus the Hand Trainer's included. As I already have one (Xmas prezzy to myself!) would the price of the course be amended to take account of this?

Any advice re courses etc would be great.
Cheers
Caroline xx

We are moving EVERYTHING :!: The OSNS has been done in a very special way so this has taken a while - you can't have the Academy without the OSNS so as of Monday everything will be at the new location!! :thumbsup:
Regarding the NT - you would need to speak to Janet in Education (0113 275 0433) - we include it in the price for practise purposes and homework so I am not sure about that!! I am certain they will be able to help though!! Best of Luck and we look forward to seeing you in the new OSNS - IT'S GORGEOUS!! :sunny:

Thanks for your advice Mrs Geek, I'm so looking forward to coming in to the new shop next week for a brush box!

Can you suggest stuff to practise with Holly (my NT!) in preparation for my Foundation course?

My nail prep and tipping isn't too bad, but my finishing lets me down:

Assuming I've not put too much/little product on, I move onto a 240 grit, white block, then Girlfriend (black, white, grey). But no matter how I do this, I just can't get a glassy finish.
My brush is well cared for and I'm sure isn't contaminated. Help! I know I've a lot to learn, but I really want to get it right! My intention is really to eventually just provide family/friends and myself with beautiful nails, not to make a living at it (though one day who knows?!)

Thanks for listening!
Cheers
Caroline xx

Caroline, when you use your girlfriend, are you putting coolblue on your last side, thats what gets the high shine. Assuming the nail is smooth enough to finish like that

:sunny: Hi c - lion
Sounds to me like your doing a really good job with the nails, don't worry to much about the time it comes with practice, practice and more practice. I have always felt that spending quality time and charging a premium price is so much more rewarding for you and the client.

Finishing! your well on the way to getting a fab finish, there are a few other things that you can try that will give you the shine your looking for.

1. Finish off all ten nails with the with the koala on the 240 side, pay particular attention to the side walls and cuticle line.

2. Apply Solar Oil and buff in using the 1200 side of the koala ( the koala has a special coating for oil buffing)

3. Remove the excess oil with ScrubFresh

4. Buff all nails using the Girlfriend Buffer to bring the nails up to the glass like shine we all love to see.

Hope this helps!!

:D
The Nail Trainer (Handrea) I have always found it an excellent way of practicing all the different techniques I have learnt.
somthing I tried a long time a go was to paint the nail unfinished with a dark colour (let it dry). Then buff over all the nails working through the different buffers, I couldnt belive the areas I was missing specially round the cuticle. (use old abrasives and buffers as they have generally had it after this).

Keep up the good work Caroline!

:eyesore: Love these qurkey little guys

Di x

Though this is getting off topic... I will oblige for a quick comment (after all... I am grand master geek aren't I?)
Caroline, when you use your girlfriend, are you putting coolblue on your last side, thats what gets the high shine. Assuming the nail is smooth enough to finish like that
The grey side of the girlfriend is what gives it a high gloss shine.
If you use the grey side over a slick surface (i.e. SolarOil or Cool Blue)
The grey side of the Girlfriend wont come into full contact with the surface... therefore you wont get the same kind of shine.
The Cool Blue may clean the Girlfriend so that it may grip slighlty better... or the Ethanol in it may slightly break down the grey side and make it smoother...
But I think you will find that Scrubfreshing the enhancement before you use the girlfriend will give you best results.
For an even better result, quickly wipe ScrubFresh over the grey side to clean and soften the grit even more (though I would still use the grey side as is before doing so).

Toodles

8)
Cool Blue shine never tried it!!!

Tip I have found works is Scrubfresh on the light grey side of your Girlfriend, seems to help give it a last kick of shine before laying it to rest.

Its worth a try ;)

Di x

The Nail Geek said:
But I think you will find that Scrubfreshing the enhancement before you use the girlfriend will give you best results.
For an even better result, quickly wipe ScrubFresh over the grey side to clean and soften the grit even more (though I would still use the grey side as is before doing so).

Toodles

I have never had a shine like that with any other product I`ve used and I thought it was the coolblue with the grey part of girlfriend doing that shine.
If we were told on the course to use scrubfresh before the girlfriend then I wasn`t paying attention and I thought I`d given it my wholehearted attention.
Are you also saying we can use scrubfresh OR coolblue to clean the buffer when doing the final grey buffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back