Newly qualified, colour question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotty85

Reaction score
Hi All, so I’m newly qualified hairdresser and have been doing lots of blonde work and feel quietly confident with it...
Now I have a client who has red hair and is around a 6 natural hair. I have been using NXT following on from college.
I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for a good brand to use for reds for staying power and generally any good advice to give me a bit of confidence for this one. I will attach a picture of the colour of clients hair and desired colour. Many thanks 575F03DA-60E1-408C-BA58-0F0D1089C645.jpeg575F03DA-60E1-408C-BA58-0F0D1089C645.jpeg for some reason I can’t add a before. I’ve been thinking of using Koleston 55/66

Last edited:
Wella Koleston is really good for reds but I'm biased[emoji12]

However 55/66 is violet, not red, and very dark. I'd recommend 77/46 and 8/45 equal parts with 9% and leave on for the full 60 mins so you don't end up with root glow.

Is her hair virgin? If you can try to upload a picture of her hair now it'll help. The formula I've recommended should only be used on her virgin uncoloured hair and without seeing the rest I've got no idea what'd need to be done to achieve that.

Wella Koleston is really good for reds but I'm biased[emoji12]

However 55/66 is violet, not red, and very dark. I'd recommend 77/46 and 8/45 equal parts with 9% and leave on for the full 60 mins so you don't end up with root glow.

Is her hair virgin? If you can try to upload a picture of her hair now it'll help. The formula I've recommended should only be used on her virgin uncoloured hair and without seeing the rest I've got no idea what'd need to be done to achieve that.
If the hair is coloured I would use @cassies97 formula on any natural root and then paint the coloured hair with magma /44 +9% and then after it's all rinsed use the colour touch relights /44+/56 equal quantities with 4% on the mid lengths and ends to blend it in and add more of the mahogany violet tone. The magma will lift and deposit red tones, but it will be more copper red.

Thank you for your help I do really appreciate it! The hair has previously professional colour on that was red, now faded a little but has with about an inch of regrowth. I’m trying desperately to upload a picture but the file is too big! I shall keep trying. Thank you

Latest posts

Back