Newly qualified during Covid-19 outbreak

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriejts

Reaction score
Please help! Massively disappointed!
I went back to college after many years to re-train. Was 2/3 of the way through level 2 when Covid19 hit us!
I got an email this week telling me that i / we would be awarded a pass by predicted grade and coursework/practicals already carried out but not by end point assessment
I don't feel that im salon - ready due to not taking the EPA and because im 'a bit' older!!
Im seriously thinking about doing either Sassoon ABC Cut either the 2 or 3 or 5 day course
or Toni And Guy Salon Foundation. Does anyone have any advice please?!

Thank-you!

What rotten luck! I think a lot of students will have been short changed this year.

Whilst you were in lockdown, have you been watching any online tutorials and practising on head blocks?

Unfortunately, I think an awful lot of You Tubers are actually poor hairdressers with sloppy techniques but lots of self confidence!

Freesaloneducation.com is however, very good and they explain the basic techniques very well.

Also, I recommend signing up to the www.myhairdressers.com online training. They have a lot of online tutorials covering everything in great depth with pdf files that you can download and save to your computer/tablet device/phone, so it’s a good resource to access.

I can’t recommend the Sassoon courses highly enough, to be honest. Although, I think as you haven’t had a lot of hands on training this year, I don’t know how confident you are with the basics: layers, graduation, angles, body positioning etc. I’d view the Sassoon as advanced level cutting as it goes into a lot more detail about how to adapt the basic techniques and how to dissect a cut so that you can look at any hairstyle and work out how to achieve it. As it’s a lot of money to invest, you need to get the most out of it. I did it after completing my level 3 and felt that was a natural point to progress.

Finally, the age thing... I re-trained in hairdressing in my early 40’s after having a complete change of career. I was very focussed and didn’t mess around so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply!
I have client friends whose hair i do on a regular basis and have continued to train myself through online tutorials and dvd's, also have kept up with my original training from back in the day so i've got a good basic knowledge etc and i regularly use my block heads, I had no choice either as haven't been into college since march!
All very frustrating
Just want to keep going so i don't throw the towel in again.....
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back