Newly qualified going self employed ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdnaples

Reaction score
Hello Peeps!
I am finally a qualified Nail Tech and just waiting on my license for the State of Florida :) I passed all my tests with the lowest score being 97% pass and the state test i got 99% pass score so I'm happy to say i made it :)

Being qualified doesn't mean I'm an expert by all means but i love nails and always looking for new trends :) I try keep up with what's out there and what i can offer clients :)
I am confident with Manicure , Pedicure, Gelish, Rockstar, Crystal Pedicures and Dashing Diva ....My french needs working on more but i use dashing diva and love it :) I also am not so great at acrylics, i think im ok but not the best...i am still mastering that. I have no probs with applying tips and gel nail application it's easier than acrylic but i want to be good at both.

Anyways.... I have the opportunity to go self employed in a nice nail salon where i live and ofcourse i will offer all the above but not acrylics just yet ..... Do you guys think its ok to start off offering the services above and not acrylics ?

I am more into promoting natural nail applications but there are ladies that love thier tips whether that be with gel or acrylic. I feel i need more training on acrylics like i say so to not offer this service at the moment won't be a prob .....whats your thoughts ?

Is there anyone here from Florida that know whats required for being self employed in a nail salon as in documents i need in place before i can start work?
I know i need Insurance ( Public Liability) Register my Biz and FL license.

All help appreciated :)

Michelle

hi congrats on qualifying! i think its fine to offer what you have said and leave out the acrylics but if i were you i would offer the acrylics at a really low training price, that way you can still earn from them and build your confidence and practise without giving it away for free. just a thought! xx

hi congrats on qualifying! i think its fine to offer what you have said and leave out the acrylics but if i were you i would offer the acrylics at a really low training price, that way you can still earn from them and build your confidence and practise without giving it away for free. just a thought! xx

While i think your idea is great but I'm not confident to charge for them yet.....
So I have asked my Tutor at the college if i can still come by one or 2 nights a week and bring models to practise acrylic application even though im qualified and done with my course ( 4 month course ) it would help me out a lot to keep practising :) My Tutor said yes sure :) ....we have never had a student qualify and still come back for more.... LOL.... i said well.... i will be your first :) So it's an option for me as i don't feel i could charge for acrylics just yet. And ofcourse once i'm in the nail salon i will ask for advice from the other nail techs see how that goes ...I'm sure they will be ok with supporting me, telling me where i go wrong or get it right :) I can only ask :)

well good luck, its nice to see someone not wanting to offer shody work for the sake of a few quid! keep practising and offer it when your good and ready, im sure peole wanting acrylics will be happy to have gels for the time being xx

I second that! Offer it as a training price then you get to learn as you earn lol.
Good luck!
Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back