Newly qualified help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi!
I’ve read this forum for so long but never posted. I recently undertook training in gel polish, acrylic extensions, sculpted acrylic and efiling. These were all one day courses.
I’m totally fine with doing the gel polish but I’ve been practising acrylic (tips and forms) on my training hand and I think they’re pretty good. However, I’ve done two sets now (one sculpted on my mum and one tips on my friend) and I’m not happy.
my mums was too thick but I know where I went wrong, but my friends today look ok, but I’m not happy. How do I get the cuticle neater? Or just practice? I really struggled also with the length as I’ve practised doing longer nails so found my bead size was just far too big which then I couldn’t get off the end and it stuck underneath. I managed to pick it out but definitely not very professional 😬🙈
I’ve added some pics.
The short Pearl and gold/silver pic is my friends from today that I struggled with.
The pink set is mums sculpted set which was too thick but I know how to rectify that. I think lol.
And I’ve also added pics of my training hand (Halloween nails were sculpted and the plain ones were tips). I find it far easier also on the training hand than on a person. 😩😩 feeling super disheartened at the mo.
so, advice please!

Attachments

• 90DBEF06-96D9-403A-8CBB-1EBDC84C290F.jpeg
    90DBEF06-96D9-403A-8CBB-1EBDC84C290F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • D1582758-12A0-4F27-BFA2-B9A8F3172CD9.jpeg
    D1582758-12A0-4F27-BFA2-B9A8F3172CD9.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 145
  • A7620139-57FC-4595-AC52-EA99A5319949.jpeg
    A7620139-57FC-4595-AC52-EA99A5319949.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • 5EA01445-6209-4A07-B7C2-37E9676A065A.jpeg
    5EA01445-6209-4A07-B7C2-37E9676A065A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
My goodness! Who on earth offered you e-file training when you are a total newbie?

An NVQ level 2 Nail course usually takes around 9 months to complete and it doesn't usually include e-filing. E-file training should only be undertaken by an experienced nail tech as it’s far too easy to over file and cause serious damage to the nail bed.

If you’ve been reading this forum for a while, you must realise that we don’t recommend anyone to waste their money on 1 day Nail training courses as they’re completely inadequate and always leave the students underwhelmed.

It looks like you might have got some of the product on the skin in the second picture and uncured gel on skin can lead to lifelong allergies to nail products, so it’s best not to practise on anyone else until you’ve perfected applying the product on the training hand.

Seriously, I think your best option at this stage is to see if you can find a competent trainer willing to offer you 1:1 training or to sign up with an established training company such as Young Nails, CND, etc.

Thanks for your reply.
Truthfully I hadn’t read about the day courses not being enough. I tended to use this forum to search when I had a question I wanted the answer to.
Unfortunately further training right now is just not possible as I’ve spent a fortune buying all my kit and undergoing training.
Guess I’ll just have to practice practice practice!

My goodness! Who on earth offered you e-file training when you are a total newbie?

An NVQ level 2 Nail course usually takes around 9 months to complete and it doesn't usually include e-filing. E-file training should only be undertaken by an experienced nail tech as it’s far too easy to over file and cause serious damage to the nail bed.

If you’ve been reading this forum for a while, you must realise that we don’t recommend anyone to waste their money on 1 day Nail training courses as they’re completely inadequate and always leave the students underwhelmed.

It looks like you might have got some of the product on the skin in the second picture and uncured gel on skin can lead to lifelong allergies to nail products, so it’s best not to practise on anyone else until you’ve perfected applying the product on the training hand.

Seriously, I think your best option at this stage is to see if you can find a competent trainer willing to offer you 1:1 training or to sign up with an established training company such as Young Nails, CND, etc.
Ps. I haven’t used the efile in any of those images. I’ve ordered the kuku and waiting for it to arrive.

I’m also wondering if you’ve received any recognised qualification to enable you to obtain insurance?

I’m also wondering if you’ve received any recognised qualification to enable you to obtain insurance?
I have ABT certified certificates for all of them and have insurance with ABT. X

Hello

The pink set looks good from the pic. Hopefully I can give some helpful advice; use a smaller bead for the cuticle but don’t place it right near the cuticle as you won’t have room to mold it towards the cuticle, also take note of the angle you r holding your brush and the shape of bristles, flatten them a bit. With length if u feel the bead is too big just brush it all off before it starts setting and start again. Keep the brush clean and free from product build up.
Hope this helps. As I’m sure u r aware, a college course or longer course would b much more beneficial. Good luck!

Hello

The pink set looks good from the pic. Hopefully I can give some helpful advice; use a smaller bead for the cuticle but don’t place it right near the cuticle as you won’t have room to mold it towards the cuticle, also take note of the angle you r holding your brush and the shape of bristles, flatten them a bit. With length if u feel the bead is too big just brush it all off before it starts setting and start again. Keep the brush clean and free from product build up.
Hope this helps. As I’m sure u r aware, a college course or longer course would b much more beneficial. Good luck!
Thank you for this! 100% agree a longer course would’ve been better, hindsight is a great thing. I never do things by half so I went all in, did the days and spent literally thousands on getting all my set up. Gels, acrylics, files, electric file, table, stools, lamps etc etc etc. Bought 3 different roo beauty bags and a trolley ANDDD. A seperate nail art box (cupcake holder 4 tier). So as you can imagine, funds are low and after the course and my (probably excessive) purchases I just don’t have the money to do any more training right now 😩.
I’ve had a go on my practice hand tonight and cut some of the nails that slot in super short and also some super thin. The more I did the easier it became. I think it’s just going to come down to lots of practice and YouTube for now. In time I will seek further training.
Thanks again x

Can I ask how you found the kuku e file?
Thank you x

Can I ask how you found the kuku e file?
Thank you x
I love it. No vibration. Bought the bits too and I’m happy with them also.
the fact it’s rechargeable is amazing so I’m not tied to a plug either. Definitely worth it. X

Latest posts

Back