Newly qualified level 6 stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJHosie

Reaction score
HI . all,
I've just passed my level 6 hairstylist qualification in Scotland. In lockdown so wont touch any hair until this is lifted. Before lockdown I started doing a small number of mobile cuts and blowdrys, avoiding colour work.. Really enjoyed this experience and practice and got some nice feedback from clients.
When the lockdown goes I will be back on the road cutting hair. My query is over Colour work in clients homes, eg how does it work, do they get their own colour and i apply, what stock should i gather to cover this basic work.
However does the 48 hour test work - do i got once to do test then 2 days later to action.
any help, guideance would be amazing.

Martin

No you buy your own colours.
When you go to a cut n blow you coul incorporate the two or I used to have a lady come to do mine and she'd send a test through the post.

Hi. Always provide your own colour, shampoo, etc, too. It makes clients feel you are offering a professional service. Insurance companies recommend you skin test with the exact formula you apply to the scalp. I tend to book skin tests when I have someone else in the same area to save on travel. However if you are starting out, I would be ultra keen and make a separate journey. You could use it as a consultation, spend time to get to know them. Have you thought about charging for the skin test but then deduct it off the final bill so you're covered if they change their mind and cancel?

Hi. Always provide your own colour, shampoo, etc, too. It makes clients feel you are offering a professional service. Insurance companies recommend you skin test with the exact formula you apply to the scalp. I tend to book skin tests when I have someone else in the same area to save on travel. However if you are starting out, I would be ultra keen and make a separate journey. You could use it as a consultation, spend time to get to know them. Have you thought about charging for the skin test but then deduct it off the final bill so you're covered if they change their mind and cancel?
HI , Thank you very much for this guidance. To start building up a supply of colour could be expensive. I think initially i will begin with cut and blowdry only and then if same client is looking for colour i will have a relationship and use the same brand they use for test and use a deposit against colour which i tell them is deducted of the colour price. The whole social distancing thing will be a challenge but im really looking forward to building on my experience cut by cut

Latest posts

Back