Newly qualified looking for gel polish advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon17

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help, I am newly qualified and looking to set up from home initially, I trained using Semilac Gel and polishes, which I think are amazing long lasting and if applied correctly amazing, however they are very costly for a start up and to get a good range of colour choices is very expensive, I have been trying to look around for a cheaper brand that is of a good quality, my head is wrecked!!!!! FairyGlo or Lavender Violets seem to be the most cost effective to start with a wide range of colours at an affordable price! Can someone please give me their honest opinions on these brands I also like to use semilac base and no wipe top coat, I also use young nails protein bond to start can any one advise if these are compatable with the fairyglo or lavender violets, sorry for the long post in advance>>>

FairyGLo or Lavender violets as a new start up business and opinons or recommendations would be appreciated!

I don't know anything about Semilac, but a quick look at the website shows they sell several curing lamps, which concerns me as it is a very expensive process to match a lamp/gel product, so I would be questioning whether they have actually tested them properly.

Fairy Glo and Lavender Violets are non-pro brands that sell very cheap products on Amazon etc. I suspect they're private label products from China? For the sake of yours and your clients health and the reputation of your business I would only go for a professional brand. It's honestly not worth cutting corners.

If I was starting out now I would invest in Ikon.iq, which is a HEMA free hypoallergenic range. They are actually very reasonably priced too for such a high quality professional brand.
I also love INK London, another pro-only brand. They are also very reasonably priced.
They both have Facebook groups that are well worth joining.

Thanks for the mention Beautiful-You.

Sharon17, you are welcome to join our Facebook group: IKON.IQ Nails UK where you can see customers work and read their comments. We also have some application video's there.

Also to mention, that we have a free LED/UV lamp offer when you buy gels, gel polishes or our polymer gel to a value of £xxx exc. VAT. That helps you to buy more colours :)

I would also caution against choosing quantity over quality; if longevity is an issue that will affect your reputation. You don't want to be chopping and changing brands as this will be more costly in the long run.

I am currently using CND Shellac (though am investigating ikon.iq and am very impressed) and I started with 4 colours! Build up slowly as you go and you will eventually amass a good collection.

Please don't buy and use any gels from eBay/Amazon. They are cheap... and nasty! I do wish I had taken a picture of the damage they did to a lady I know recently, every nail had lifted from her nail bed with sores, blisters, irritation and pain! Her allergy will be life long.

Invest in your well-being and your clients safety as you build your business, otherwise your business may be short lived. I thoroughly recommend you take a look at Ikon.iQ Nails Prima Gels too, get it right from day one. Fair prices, lots of help and support and you will be offering your potential clients something top drawer which will help you build a good reputation.

The gels you mentioned are cheap brands from China
If your looking for something affordable but good I would go with premier gel!
They are prices at xxx each but always have sales on (you’ve just missed one this weekend where they was prices at xxxx each)
But I’m sure there will be another next weekend
I’ve had up to 4 weeks of wear with clients

[no trade prices please - thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a good price. Where are Premier Gels manufactured?

The gels you mentioned are cheap brands from China
If your looking for something affordable but good I would go with premier gel!
They are prices at xxx each but always have sales on (you’ve just missed one this weekend where they was prices at xxxx each)
But I’m sure there will be another next weekend
I’ve had up to 4 weeks of wear with clients

[no trade prices please - thanks]

I'm pretty sure Premier Gel is also made in China!

That’s what I thought. And TJB too?

In light of recent reports emerging of certain products being alleged to have caused onycholysis, I would recommend that you thoroughly research any system you use.

I would also recommend having a through read of the nail tech awareness group on Facebook.

As far as I'm aware, though I've not used either.

I have been using TGB's BIAB without any issues to date, but the recent reports have really worried me and I am discontinuing . I don't want the risk!

Stick to products manufactured in the USA or the EU where there are regulations in place about contents and quantities. Better safe than sorry.

I trained with The Manicure Company- The bottles are only 8ml but this suits me as I also do mobile. I often get them in Capital Beauty where you buy 3 and get one free.

Another vote for IkoniQ here. They are full coverage with one coat, which is obviously a massive saving. The products I have used previously need up to 4 coats to get the right depth of colour. Plus they are a company with a complete range of products so as you progress in your career, you can train and use complimentary products and your clients will already recognise them.

I use Indigo products and so far am very happy with them. Anyone have any experience of them?

I trained with NSI Polish Pro gel, which was lovely but I found the colours a bit limited. I have tried a few different brands however decided upon Pure Nails Halo (I'm mostly mobile so small bottles, great product) and Premier Gel, which I found absolutely no different to The Gel Bottle products I tried, just cheaper.

Last edited:
Where are the links to the recent reports about the gel bottle. Would be good to know as around 10 salons in my area have started using it in the past year

Latest posts

Back