Newly qualified nail technician with a problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suki73

Reaction score
Hi all i really hope some of you can advise me on what im doing wrong

Ive recently got my qualification on gel and acrylic nails and straight away ive come up against a big problem.The tips are coming of with the gel.I have done all my prep properly.If anything im probably being over cautious with prep.Im not sure if its the glue or something im not doing right.i dehydrate after i apply tip because i always manage to touch the nail plate if i do it before.Is this wrong?Maybe im not applying the gel thick enough.Im using pro impression none well tips,Does anyone think these are a bad idea?

Thankyou for any help in this matter x

Did you have the same problems in your training or has this developed since?

Are these the same products you trained with?

Are you sure you are sizing your tips correctly?

When you are dehydrating the nail are you getting any dehydrator on the glue or tip? X

I had a similar problem, I used pro impression well less tips and the gel would sort of come away from the tip (no gel would lift from nail plate) so I put it down to the tips! And changed the tips I use.
It's weird because I have read on here so many people use those tips but I just couldn't get on with them!

xx

Did you buff the top of the tip before you put in the gel?

hi thankyou all for messages.yes i buff the nail before gel and no i dont use same stuff as training.the stuff i used in training was just the training kit.As for it happening while training then no because it never got kept on the models and if it did i never saw the same models again so not sure on the end result how long it lasted

i dehydrate the nail after applying the tip because i find that i manage to touch the plate if i do it before applying tips.And no im not getting it on the tips or glue

Is it white tips you're using?

havnt tried the white tips yet no its the naturel tips.Im trying to convince myself that i will get better with time and work out the problems .Iso feel like throwing the towel in at the minute and saying its just not for me.Only for the fact i have put so much money and time into it,so i will hold in there for now

OK. White tips are usually more of a problem because the gel cant cure from the bottom like it can through a clear or even a natural tip so might be best to try using a white gel instead when you get to that point.

You say you are buffing the tip, use a 180 grit file for this to get a nice rough surface for the gel and when you apply the gel, not sure on your gel choice but are you applying a very thin bonding layer first before your building layer?

Also, are you bringing the gel over the free edge to cap? This might stop it shrinking back and leaving an area to lift.

I know a few people have had lots of trouble with gel and pro impression tips but i also know of plenty who have found them fine so if all else fails, maybe try a different brand of tips.

Dont give up, you are newly qualified and will go through lots of little blips before you gain you confidence and refine your new skills but you will get there xxxx

ahhh i use the white block to remove the shine of the tip so maybe if i use the file instead.i do the thin layer first and make sure its put on with a firm stroke to the nail.ive even had the tip come of and the gel stay in place.was quite shocked at that one .i will be sure try all the hints and tips everyone has given .THANKYOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP AND ADVISE ME x

Try with the file and let us know how it goes. Good luck :D xxx

Thankyou soooooooo much.I am redoing a set tonight so i will try that and see what happens.I buy my gels from Naio and 24/7 so hoping they are a good brand.i have this conception that if i buy cheap then i will end up with cheap results.Probably not true but when you start out on a new adventure its trial and error i suppose on whats good to use and whats not

No you are absolutely right buy cheap and get crappy results. Especially when training you need to know you are using top brands therefore when you encounter problems you know it's your technique and you can pinpoint mistakes. You don't want the brand letting you down. Do some research into the brand you are using and find out if it's generally well used and well respected.

Don't give up hon you'll get there xxx

Thankyou soooooooo much.I am redoing a set tonight so i will try that and see what happens.I buy my gels from Naio and 24/7 so hoping they are a good brand.i have this conception that if i buy cheap then i will end up with cheap results.Probably not true but when you start out on a new adventure its trial and error i suppose on whats good to use and whats not

i've ordered a few things off Naio in the past and thought they were pretty cheap and nasty to be honest. Might be worth trying a better quality product too. You may fine you get much better results xxx

ohh thats not good can anyone point me in right direction for some good brands then please

I use Brisa Gel from CND. If you have a gel certificate the you can book onto their conversion day course and you get training and a kit. They are very highly rated for gel xx

yeah i have both gel and acrylic certificates but im trying to master 1 to perfection before i worry bout the other so gel it is at the min :)

Hey, I know I'm late on this conversation but I searched "tips coming off" and this came up, im having this exact problem now! just interested to see did you find out what the problem was?

Latest posts

Back