Newly qualified, not sure how to get customers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

So just looking for a bit of advise. I have qualified in gel and acrylic nails and i have done a few friends. However i really want to try make a bit of a side business in the long run. I am struggling to get customers, my issue being i do not have a large friend group and my family do not live close by. I do not have social media although i know a lot of people do well from that so i may look into setting up an account.

Just looking for some advise on how to get new customers really. Ive advertised on some sites but not had any luck. I am not perfect at doing nails yet as i haven't managed to get much experience other than my own nails and a few gels.

Any advise will be really appreciated.

Caroline :)

Hi All,

So just looking for a bit of advise. I have qualified in gel and acrylic nails and i have done a few friends. However i really want to try make a bit of a side business in the long run. I am struggling to get customers, my issue being i do not have a large friend group and my family do not live close by. I do not have social media although i know a lot of people do well from that so i may look into setting up an account.

Just looking for some advise on how to get new customers really. Ive advertised on some sites but not had any luck. I am not perfect at doing nails yet as i haven't managed to get much experience other than my own nails and a few gels.

Have you thought about getting some flyers/postcards done and posting them through doors local to you ? Leave some in a coffee shop if the manager will let you do that.

Have you thought about getting some flyers/postcards done and posting them through doors local to you ? Leave some in a coffee shop if the manager will let you do that.

I am going to look into this now, i just didnt want to keep spending too much as ive paid for the trainings and brought all the equipment and ideally was hoping to make some of it back before investing it.

I think i may just have to bite the bullet and give this a go, maybe just not go too crazy with the amount of them for now.

Thank you for your response Sarah :)

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/more-ways-to-promote-your-business.83160/

This thread is an excellent thread for someone new to setting up in business. It’s very long but full of useful tips.
Maybe read it in bite size chunks making notes as you go?

Generally, you’re better off looking through the Business Forum rather than Nails Forum when looking for tips on setting up in business.
Nails tends to be for specific queries regarding application, timings, products etc.

Good luck with your new venture. :)

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/more-ways-to-promote-your-business.83160/

This thread is an excellent thread for someone new to setting up in business. It’s very long but full of useful tips.
Maybe read it in bite size chunks making notes as you go?

Generally, you’re better off looking through the Business Forum rather than Nails Forum when looking for tips on setting up in business.
Nails tends to be for specific queries regarding application, timings, products etc.

Good luck with your new venture. :)

Thank you very much, i will have a look through this now. Will go get a pad of paper and a pen i think :)

I actually did come across the business forum after posting this and have been looking through that now. I am new to this site so i apologize for that.

Thank you for the response and the link :)

Hi All,

Hi!

I'd definitely recommend social media to promote. Have you considered offering treatments for models at a reduce rate? That way you'll get more practise and boost your confidence (that's what I'm planning to do after I've finished my training)

All of my business has been through social media and personal recommendation.
My clients share photos of their nails then friends contact me online to book in.
I’ll be honest and say I never read flyers I get through the door, they go in the bin.

Last edited:
I think social media is something you can’t ignore. There are ways to use it to find new clients that are cost free and effective.

Latest posts

Back