Newly trained tech, problems with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t read the replies but if you’re clients nails are lifting, then you’re not washing off the cuticle away properly and certainly not scrubbing th scrub fresh until it squeaks. Get right in all the corners. Watch hand placement in the lamps too and there should be no reason to lift.
Thanks so much for your help. I completely agree with this. I have done a few ladies recently and I have thoroughly cleaned off the cuticle away and really got in there with the scrub fresh, and I haven’t had any more problems. So I imagine I wasn’t thorough enough in the beginning. Lesson learned and hopefully I will improve from here on in.

Hi

I am new to the forum and just looking into courses. Sorry to hear you’ve had a tough start but I agree with the others that practice makes perfect and don’t be disheartened. I wonder if you would reccomend sweet squared? I joined the site looking for a course for gel and acrylic, to start out as a hobby but with a view to do something that is accredited so I can grow a business as my skills and reputation grows. I am in the north east area.

Thank you
Sorry it’s taken a while to reply. I loved the course I did with Sweet Squared. I did the CND shellac beginners course. It’s the only training provider I have used, so I haven’t got anything to compare it to. But I can say that my educator was so knowledgeable and she continues to support me and regularly enquiries how I am getting on. It’s a little pricy, but going by other people’s reviews, it is the best training out there.

All the best with what ever you decide to do.

I have a few colours I do three thin layers on. What I then do is cure an extra minute on the last color layer before top coat to make sure they are all cured (this is very individual and you need to see how it will work) I saw you use Express 5 topcoat. This in my opinion is the weakest top coat and I usually only use it with pigments and over art work if I need a thin layer. The original top coat is the best for anything in my opinion. I haven’t tried Duraforce yet.

Sometimes I layer colors that are more see thru with a cream layer underneath that match the tone I want to achieve. It keeps it thin and color true. Also makes for great new colors sometimes :)
I also have tried the Express 5 top coat as well as the original and Duraforce. My clients didn't notice a difference with Duraforce, and the original top coat remains my favorite-definitely more durable than the Express 5. I like to use Express 5 for Shellac pedicures, since people aren't as hard on their toes and it makes the removal a little easier. :) Also make sure to shake shake shake your color bottles!

And wherever the Shellac is lifting can help you troubleshoot too. If it is lifting from the sides or by the cuticle, it could be the prep. If it is lifting on just one side of each nail, it could be their hand placement under the light... just a few examples. You can also learn a lot from their lifestyle. If they are more active with their hands or in water all the time, their Shellac will not last as long. Someone who can wear regular polish for 2 days will have different Shellac results from someone who can wear regular polish for 6 days, although most people will get 10-14 days Shellac wear. For those clients who are super active or weaker nails (literally just a hand full of my clients) I will do a coat of base coat and a coat of original top coat (normal cure time) under the color coats. Don't forget their home care-solar oil every day and treating their nails like jewels, not tools! Shellac is great, but not invincible!

I know it's easy to be hard on yourself, but keep practicing! It already sounds like you're doing better! Good luck! :)

Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems. I too am having problems but I don't think it's anything to do with my prep or application I think it's the LED lamp. Having read some of the stuff online I think other people are having problems too. Because the clients hands have to be so specifically placedwith the CND LED lamp any misplacement /movement from them and the nails are not curing properly. I am about to switch back to the old UV style lamp and I'm hoping this will stop the problems I'm having. I know the cure time is a little bit longer but I'd rather spend an extra few minutes and have my nails last the full 2 weeks. Good luck I hope you sort it x

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I am using the official CND LED lamp. So I use preset button 1 (which I think is five seconds) for base coat, preset button 2s (which I think is one minute) for colour coat, and preset button 3 (which I think is two minutes) for the top coat. This lamp was purchased from Sweet Squared just over two weeks ago.
I have this lamp, and have also used it in salons, i always use 2s for every coat (i know that's not manufacturers recommended but have never had issues)- if you are using CND scrubfresh is your best friend! make sure you are using it properly not just wiping over quickly.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone is able to help me. I have recently trained with Sweet Squared, which was amazing and I really enjoyed it! I qualified just under two weeks ago and I have done about 4 manicures now and one for myself. Three of them have had problems (and to be honest if I was to pick there is slight lifting on the free edge of my index finger and I only did my nails 4 days ago!) The worst issue I have had was I completed a shellac manicure on Wednesday evening and by the morning three of her nails had started to peel!! I took my time doing all the correct prep, then thin base coat, thin colour coats, slightly thicker top coat and sealing the free edge at each stage. I really don’t know where I have gone wrong. I have even checked back in my booklet that I have done the pep correctly.

I obviously removed and repaired the three nails that peeled. But just three days later more of her nails have started to peel (not the ones I repaired)

This isn’t just a one off as two of my other clients have had the same issue. One with just her right hand, left hand was still perfect and the other client had peeling three days after on a couple of nails.

I have been in touch with my sweet squared educator who is lovely. She said it’s just a case of doing more manicures and learning that way. Which I agree with, practice makes perfect. But my confidence is so low now, and there is no way I can charge people for a service that may not even last 24hours. And obviously its loosing me money as these products are expensive (especially when starting out) I am using the CND shellac system as a whole. Everything from the CND nail file to the official LED lamp. All purchased from Sweet Squared, so 100% genuine.

Before I trained, I would do my own nails as well as my sisters. I used a different, non professional gel polish brand, and that would always last at least a week and never had any problems with. So I can’t work out why I am getting these problems with a decent professional reputable brand?

Please if anyone can advise or help me I would be very grateful. I just want to do the best job I can for my clients.

Hi Bee,

I realise I am replying to an old post, but I am also having the same lifting problem, I am newly trained so I wondered if you ever got to the bottom of it and if it really is practice makes perfect!?

Hey Bee,

Can I just ask which CND Academy you trained with please? I think you are fairly local to me so wondered which one you went to x

Hi Bee,

I realise I am replying to an old post, but I am also having the same lifting problem, I am newly trained so I wondered if you ever got to the bottom of it and if it really is practice makes perfect!?

I used cnd when I worked in a salon, prep is key, then make sure you are putting in the layers really thin and cure for the correct timings

Latest posts

Back