NEWS: I coudn't believe my ears!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I was astounded today to hear that the home office are only banning prisoners from having the new Play Station 3 because of the WiFi connection - now this is a valid point and I can see why they've banned them and agree but HELLOOOO surely they shouldn't have access to such luxuries anyway - THEY COMMITTED A CRIME!

I just can't get my head round the fact that inmates in this country can have better facilities and luxuries than I do as a free person in my own home they are supposed to being punished.

If it was up to me they would only be allowed reading materials and access to edcucation, that rehabilitation not sat around playing pool or watching sky.

I feel so strongly about this does anyones else or I'm being mean.

Should prisoners be entitle to gifts from the outside world?

I'm in agreement with you Louise. Going to prison is no longer seen as a punishment in this country.:confused:

No I don't agree with it either.

People like us have to scrimp and save to be able to afford 'luxuries' like this and they get them handed to them on a plate??

They are in prison for a reason, they commited a crime and they are not being punished for it!! Some of them may even be getting a better life in there than what they would get out here.

I totally do not agree with it!

I'm in agreement with you Louise. Going to prison is no seen as a punishment inthis country.:confused:

Makes you wonder what other EU countries allow and don't!

I used to work in a prison as a teacher. I had never been in one before and was amazed at what goes on and the priveldges they have.

There is only one punishment that I saw and that is that they are not physically able to leave through the gates. Everything else smacked of a holiday camp. Each cell had TV's, Video's, DVD's, X box etc etc... These are not supplied to them though...they are their own.

I only had the job a couple of weeks though, the atmosphere depressed me and I left. But after what I saw I would never be worried about having to go to prison. It looked (imo) like a good way to have a rest.

The whole thing about going to prison is a joke, prisoners have SO many privaledges. It isnt as scary as it used to be to go to prison.

And Aaaawwww didums, no Playstation 3!!!! WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They shouldnt have a TV let alone a blinkin games console.

But this is a glimpse of things to come in the UK, nothing is being done, the whole place is going to the dogs!! I worry how its going to be when my kids are grown up....any better......I dont think so, a damn sight worse me thinks!!

Makes my blood boil this does!! As you can probably tell!!

I used to work in a prison as a teacher.

There is only one punishment that I saw and that is that they are not physically able to leave through the gates. Everything else smacked of a holiday camp. Each cell had TV's, Video's, DVD's, X box etc etc... These are not supplied to them though...they are their own.

I only had the job a couple of weeks though, the atmosphere depressed me and I left. But after what I saw I would never be worried about having to go to prison. It looked (imo) like a good way to have a rest.

I think it all depends on whether you see prison as a punishment or a chance to rehabilitate prisoners before they rejoin society.
Dobermum you only were there for 2 weeks and found it depressing...and you left at the end of every day. Imagine being their for years 24-7.

24 hours a day in the same place unable to leave...the boredom factor must be unbelievable. Also very dangerous as that is when petty resentments can simmer and then violence can break out.

Who has to deal with that, The Prison Officers!!!

So allowing prisoners their own property in their cells, isn't necessarily a bad thing. IMO

You know what's even more shocking than the fact that these criminal have such luxuries ????

The fact that i am not surprised one bit :rolleyes:

I think it all depends on whether you see prison as a punishment or a chance to rehabilitate prisoners before they rejoin society.
Dobermum you only were there for 2 weeks and found it depressing...and you left at the end of every day. Imagine being their for years 24-7.

24 hours a day in the same place unable to leave...the boredom factor must be unbelievable. Also very dangerous as that is when petty resentments can simmer and then violence can break out.

Who has to deal with that, The Prison Officers!!!

So allowing prisoners their own property in their cells, isn't necessarily a bad thing. IMO

I hear what your saying but surely having an Xbox is not a rehabiliation, education is they key which provide stimulation of the mind and would release any bordeom.

Surely the fact that not all prisoners will be in the position to have family or friends bring them MP3 players or XBoxes and the difference in personal privileges I am sure cause resentment and lead to disagreements or worse?

I would have thought it is best avoided by making priviledges the same for all and i.e books and education should be enough stimulation to keep the boredom.

They live in better conditions than our armed forces and thats just not right

sorry but i dont think prison re habilitates people at all , unless they want to change !! letting em have their ps2/3, xbox etc... just makes it lovely:eek: even though i know they are sat in thier cell 23 out of the 24 hrs a day , but hey at least they arnt bored !!
i think instead of all that they should make em do a trade and when they get out they have to get a job or no benefits !!
i probably sound like a right b**ch but i aint:green: my brother was inside about a million times and it never helped him just made him worse, the stupid thing is though he could have done so much with his life and he wasted it sitting in their for most of his short life ecause i truly think he thought he wasnt worth anything else despite what the family told him and had nothing to offer so went out and got into trouble
i think this country is totally backwards ,

Izzidoll I don't think it's a good thing or a bad thing. What depressed me was the futility of it all. There were young kids in there ...OK they had broke the law...but I didn't think that locking them up was the answer. But then again they shouldn't go unpunished. It was not having a right or wrong answer that depressed me.

It is supposed to be about retraining etc etc.. but imo there was very little of that going on. Yes they had workshops and lessons etc.. but there were career criminals in there too, who had no intention of changing and would quite happily tell you that.

I think it was because they were all classed as 'prisoners'. At college we have 'students' but they are individual and their individual needs are being met. That wasn't happening in prison and I felt helpless

It didn't feel right to me. Very hard to explain in writing

Gone are he days of"Prisoner cell block H"...:eek:

That makes me so mad as well...I can't even afford the 800$ it costs for a playstation 3 yet THEY are crying over not getting one...

Here, in canada,inmates are also very spoiled. What is sad about this is that the people living off the streets can't even get a little piece of warm blanket in the winter, and have to almost fight to be able to eat at the soup kitchens because they are full, yet inmates, people who stole, raped, murdered, sold drugs, they have a nice warm bed to sleep in, 3 complete meals a day, a computer to play on, a tv to watch, a nice comfy couch in the lounge area, get to have an education, play pool, get counselling, play ball, get ripped at the gym, BUY CIGARETTES...its all just disgusting to me.:sad:

Plus, WE pay for all those things with are hard earned cash...SO FRUSTRATING!:irked:

No, we shouldn't treat them like dogs, but not like kings either. take some of that stupid money used to buy them some leisure equipment and give it to the homeless you dumb government!!:evil:

I agree with the majority of people on here I think that prisoners have too many priviledges. My partner is a prison officer and they are in the process of rebuilding new blocks for their gym, education and activity areas.
The thing that gets to all the officers is that they don't have a staff room, only a small mobile to grab a cuppa and don't get meals while they are at work, they have to take packed lunch or walk into town in their hour lunch break.
To me there seems to be something wrong here????

this topic makes my bloody boil too, why the hell should they get luxuries??? IMO all they should have is (as already stated) education and books. this government is way too soft with criminals, to me they are just saying, "if you go to jail, you can have all the luxuries you can have, and the tax payers will pay for it, so dont you worry about a thing"

the inprisoning anybody , is it a good thing or bad one?!...honestly??..i dont have the answer...aspecialy for young criminales, who made not such a severe crime..i meen not murdering anyone, hurting or ripping...will the jail make them better?!...i seriously doubt that!!!...as was already said, if one doesn't want to improve, to restart his life & rehabilitate, U can never make them... but leaving them free isnt a good thing either...so, im confused...

but closer to the topic...as i know, in Lithuania conditions in the prison are far not as good as anyone can think of...BUT!!! some people do still find them much better than living fair & free...
i;ve known one guy...a boy almos actually (25years old) who really seriously said, what he liked sitting in prison...free food, free clothes, no work, no stress...etc...He said he made friends out there (good really innocent people :eek: ) ...& yeah, after coming out he felt terrible : no money, no work(who will want to take an ex-criminal), problems with place to live, stress, stress, & one more time stress & depression... he said he will try to survive for some more time..but if no...than he will simply do smthing to go back to prison...

now, the question: do they really need that all playstations, dvd players, etc etc...?!!!! ...if people start to think its easier & more plesurable to stay in prison than trying to live legally?....
my answer: NO!! as less comfort as possible...maybe that will make them to start dreaming of better life?....

could talk long long longly about that...but think You r boured of my post already..
...& sorry for such a long post...& for thousands of mistakes...it turnd quite hard to express all the thoughts in english....

uk prisons are way too nice

we need to be more like the US and many other places, make prison life tough so they don't want to go back

uk prisons are way too nice

we need to be more like the US and many other places, make prison life tough so they don't want to go back
Good point - a bit of hard labour and doing charity work etc wouldn't go amiss cure that risk of boredom

I think it's looked on by the courts that the punishment is that they lose their freedom.

I know a couple of people that work in prisons and they're given these perks to keep them quiet, or else there would be riots every day. I've heard that some (NOT ALL) of the wardens smuggle drugs into the prisons for the inmates.

Latest posts

Back