Night Cream vs Day Cream

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have recently found a day cream which I really like and it has made a real difference (not a salon brand).

My problem is that my eyes are constantly feeling heavy and someone suggested that it may be the SPF factor in my cream. The cream also comes in a night cream without SPF - my question is, if the night cream is not a heavier cream, would I be OK to use this instead of the day one.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but if you don't ask you don't know.

You shouldn't be putting your day cream around your eye area but using an eye cream or gel.I think this would solve the problem.Try and stick to an spf if you can as skin can be aged by uv all year round.

The purspose of having a seperate day and night cream is because your skin has different functions/needs in the day and night.

in the day your skin NEEDS protection from free radicals, sun, pollution.

At night you do not need this protection, but it is your skins time to restore and replenish itself, thus a heavier cream with restorative and soothing properties.

I really wouldnt use a cream without an SPF for day time unless you were usig a seperate sun screen.

HTHs.

My skin care experience is very limited Fiona, but I don't see how the SPF factor could be the problem. The reason the night cream does not have an SPF is because you would have no use for this at night when the sun is not shining. I am more inclined to think that your night cream will be heavier because that is when the skin works hardest whilst you are at rest.

Are you perhaps placing your day cream too close to your eyes thus causing them to feel heavy? This is always the first question I ask.

I do use an eye cream too - my face cream is only going up to probably just above my cheek bones. Maybe it's the eye cream that is giving me problems LOL.

Thanks for replying.

I do use an eye cream too - my face cream is only going up to probably just above my cheek bones. Maybe it's the eye cream that is giving me problems LOL.

Thanks for replying.
Process of elimination. How long have you been using your eye cream? Also are you perhaps applying your eye cream too close to the eyes? They should be gently patted arond the socket bone area.

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/49601-puffy-eyes.html
Amy posted some interesting things in this thread that I found useful.

Judy you psychic! I had literally just been to that thread and copied the URL to paste here!

I would also suggest readjusting the boundaries where your skin cream finishes and your eye cream begins....if you feel the high point of your cheekbone, the skin should feel of normal thickness there....if you start feeling from the high point of your cheek bone towards your eye area, the skin should start to feel thinner and more delicate as soon you 'mount' the top of the cheek bone (God, I don't think I've woken up properly yet, how rubbish is my explanation?!). Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that lots of people apply eye cream just to their immediate eye area, whereas you will reap the major benefits when you apply it a little further down, nearer to the 'mount' of your cheekbone, because the skin starts getting thinner/more delicate further towards the cheekbone than you'd think! :green:

Judy you psychic! I had literally just been to that thread and copied the URL to paste here!

I would also suggest readjusting the boundaries where your skin cream finishes and your eye cream begins....if you feel the high point of your cheekbone, the skin should feel of normal thickness there....if you start feeling from the high point of your cheek bone towards your eye area, the skin should start to feel thinner and more delicate as soon you 'mount' the top of the cheek bone (God, I don't think I've woken up properly yet, how rubbish is my explanation?!). Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that lots of people apply eye cream just to their immediate eye area, whereas you will reap the major benefits when you apply it a little further down, nearer to the 'mount' of your cheekbone, because the skin starts getting thinner/more delicate further towards the cheekbone than you'd think! :green:
Amy I can't rep you again because I have got to spread the lurve. I am spreading it, but I do think your skin care advices is very good. You did explain that well and it wasn't rubbish. Thank you.

The day and night cream brand that I use have the same formulation, with SPF only added to the day cream, therefore if you were using a make up or sunscreen with a suitable SPF over your mosituriser it would be fine to use night cream instead of day.

I cannot categorically speak for all brands but would imagine most would be the same.

Amy's explanation is excellent and may help alleviate your problem further
hth's:hug:

Latest posts

Back