Nitrile Gloves vs Other Types Of Gloves!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Good morning Geeks, Nitrile gloves have been referred to many times before on the geek site and seem to be used by techs more than other gloves. I have used latex, non latex but would like to know why peeps prefer to use nitrile? Are there special properties to these gloves? Comments please as I endeavour to find a way around overexposure and skin sensitivity.

I originally chose Nitrile because i could get them from Hyperion with my other orders and i think Doug Schoon mentions them in his books

I really didnt want Latex because of the risk of myself or one of my clients having a reaction to them ! :eek:

kxx

Mrs.Clooney said:
Good morning Geeks, Nitrile gloves have been referred to many times before on the geek site and seem to be used by techs more than other gloves. I have used latex, non latex but would like to know why peeps prefer to use nitrile? Are there special properties to these gloves? Comments please as I endeavour to find a way around overexposure and skin sensitivity.

What exactly are Nitrile gloves ? I have always used vinyl gloves x

you should use nitrile gloves because latex and vinyl don´t protect you properly against overexposure. I seem to remember that after wearing them for 5-10 minutes the product is able to penetrate the gloves.It might even worsen your condition, apparantly. this is also what happens with the hepatitis virus. (not that i think we as nailtecnicians need to worry about this, just remember being told this by a nurse). Anyway, another problem with latex is, that you can actually become sensitive to this material. Hope I´ve explained this right

I use Nitrile gloves as I have a sensitivity to monomer and if even the smallest amount gets on my skin, it irritates me in the form of allergic eczema.

I have found that Latex does not offer the protection that Nitrile does, as after only a few minutes the product has clearly affected the latex and can then reach my skin. This does not happen with Nitrile.

Nitrile also seems more comfortable against my skin in general.

i'll use latex if i'm desperate... but i opt for nitrile too, cos they're more resistant to being made weak by acetone.

With latex, my fingers sometimes POP through the ends!

Also a bonus to know that i'm unlikely to become allergic to them, and that clients with a latex allergy won't be affected!

x

the product penetrates even the nitrile ones hun !!! honestly and even when i double glove, hense why i have to wear additional protection on my three fingers before i even put the gloves on

kx

cyberlaika said:
you should use nitrile gloves because latex and vinyl don´t protect you properly against overexposure. I seem to remember that after wearing them for 5-10 minutes the product is able to penetrate the gloves.It might even worsen your condition, apparantly. this is also what happens with the hepatitis virus. (not that i think we as nailtecnicians need to worry about this, just remember being told this by a nurse). Anyway, another problem with latex is, that you can actually become sensitive to this material. Hope I´ve explained this right

Karren said:
the product penetrates even the nitrile ones hun !!! honestly and even when i double glove, hense why i have to wear additional protection on my three fingers before i even put the gloves on

kx
What exactly is the wrap you refer to? Is it specifically for allery skin?

Hi tracey, its like a thin bandage, that sticks to itself and you wrap it around you fingers.

omg not its not the wrap you use to wrap your fingers the stretchy stuff

i use Haelan tape - i think its for exzema ..... its the only thing ive found that is waterproof so absolutely nothing gets through ! i have tried waterproof plasters and everything

i get this on prescription - very expensive otherwise over the counter

sorry gotta go, next client is here

kx

Mrs.Clooney said:
What exactly is the wrap you refer to? Is it specifically for allery skin?

Karren said:
omg not its not the wrap you use to wrap your fingers the stretchy stuff

i use Haelan tape - i think its for exzema ..... its the only thing ive found that is waterproof so absolutely nothing gets through ! i have tried waterproof plasters and everything

i get this on prescription - very expensive otherwise over the counter

sorry gotta go, next client is here

kx
Oh sorry karren, thought you meant the normal tape, I have had haelean tape before its great. but it was prescribed by the hospital, and when i ran out I couldnt get it from the gp. didnt know you could get it over the counter, must have a look.

its me ! i didnt explain at all well:hug:

well i thought it was about £30 but could be very very wrong .... i know the receptionist at the doctors was giving me a bit of a telling off asking for 2 lots at each prescription request because of the expense ??? mmmm now im sure if there was a real problem the dr would do 2 separate prescriptions surely ! hey ho

you know what even if i couldnt get it on prescription id pay whatever it costs as for me it works

kxx

jac extreme said:
Oh sorry karren, thought you meant the normal tape, I have had haelean tape before its great. but it was prescribed by the hospital, and when i ran out I couldnt get it from the gp. didnt know you could get it over the counter, must have a look.

Karren said:
its me ! i didnt explain at all well:hug:

well i thought it was about £30 but could be very very wrong .... i know the receptionist at the doctors was giving me a bit of a telling off asking for 2 lots at each prescription request because of the expense ??? mmmm now im sure if there was a real problem the dr would do 2 separate prescriptions surely ! hey ho

you know what even if i couldnt get it on prescription id pay whatever it costs as for me it works

kxx
Thank you. All this info is so helpful.

Mrs.Clooney said:

Nitrile gloves are different from other gloves because the other ones have tiny microscopic holes in them that can allow bacteria/product/etc inside. Nitrile gloves do not.

WHERE CAN YOU GET HAELAN TAPE FROM? Would I find it in Spain do you think? If not, can someone get it in UK for me and send over?

No matter what gloves you wear, I'd suggest you use tose with the CE mark.

You can get some really cheap and nasty products that may look OK in the box, but are very poor quality.

Medical grade ones are your best option - and not always the most expensive.

What exactly are Nitrile gloves ? I have always used vinyl gloves x
can someone explain,
i am confused tooooooooooo
:idea: doesnt take much
X

Only use Nitrile in the salon.

Latex is a naturally occurring substance and as such will be more likely to cause allergic reactions.
Couple that with the fact that its a protein that monomer and other solvents can break down and you have a serious problem.

For instance - lets say you wear Latex gloves while working with monomer. The monomer will break down latex, carrying it into your skin which will dramatically speed up your sensitivity to latex AND monomer.

Nitrile is a synthetic material that Dentists and Doctors (i.e. surgeons) use. They are washable and solvent resistant and the best material to protect yourself (which is why people wear gloves in the first place!)

Hope this helps!

Only use Nitrile in the salon.

Latex is a naturally occurring substance and as such will be more likely to cause allergic reactions.
Couple that with the fact that its a protein that monomer and other solvents can break down and you have a serious problem.

For instance - lets say you wear Latex gloves while working with monomer. The monomer will break down latex, carrying it into your skin which will dramatically speed up your sensitivity to latex AND monomer.

Nitrile is a synthetic material that Dentists and Doctors (i.e. surgeons) use. They are washable and solvent resistant and the best material to protect yourself (which is why people wear gloves in the first place!)

Hope this helps!
Thank you Sam and everyone for your replies. As they say, you learn something new everyday. This is useful info.

I dont know how relevant this info may be but on the off chance it is, here goes. We used to be equipped on the ambulance/fire tenders with latex gloves for dealing with incidences involving blood, body fluids, etc. However there was a scare about skin disease (some form of Dermatitis) being caused by the powder that was used inside the gloves to assist in getting them on, not to mention the mess the powder made of your clothes.

We now ONLY use nitrile, no skin disease, no irritations and clean uniforms. Great! :)

Latest posts

Back