Nits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not a hair dresser but i work in a pharmacy and what we suggest is the wet comb method, every other day for 2 weeks and then just a dab of neat tea tree oil behind the ear. Apparently works a treat (so i've been told).

and no the potions aren't much good after you have used them once or twice!!

This is driving me mad!!!! My eldest daughter is 7 and she has come home YET again today with 2 daddy sized nits.....no eggs! I cant use tea tree as she has asthma and this makes her wheeze. What the hell can you do when a handful of the other mothers dont bother?? It is so hard not to stereotype too, you just know which kids are bringing them in, but cant point fingers. I might have a word with her teacher tomorrow morning see if she cant get the kids to keep their heads away from each other when doing their work!!! :mad: Other than giving her a skin head I cant see a solution. :cry:

My eldest daughter only ever had them once when she was about 11 years old.

My middle daughter had them constantly for 5 years. I just couldnt keep them under control. Every week I would comb and comb and ever so often I would use a lotion to try and zap them again. She had very thick long hair and twice in them five years I cut it right down as I was disparing with the constant infestation. Neither my hubby or I have ever had them.

My little lad who is 3 has had them twice already from nursary I am guessing.. but both times I just sheared all his hair off. I am not going through the same with him as I did with my middle child.. at least with lads they can get away with a crew cut for a few weeks. He looked quite cute actually :)

When my daughter reached 14 she used to refuse point blank for me to do her hair and promised me that she was combing it herself in the shower. (If she ever had a shower is anyone's guess!!) Well last year I could see them in her hair and I begged her to let me sort them out (she had bleached her hair thinking this would rid them but all it did was make her hair go dry) Her hair looked like dreadlocks underneath.. I knew she wasn't combing. So I suggested that she drenched her hair in conditioner and I would comb through it for her bit by bit, section by section ... Well MY GOODNESS.. what I saw made me gip... I ended up cutting off her hair again and she just sat there and cried and cried. She was totally infested and her hair was rank.

Fingers crossed, she is now clear ... her hair is getting some length back now and it looks glossy and in good condition. She doesn't live at home any more so I am not sure of how she treats it. Currently her hair is supporting a black tint! So its anyone's guess again/.

Oh humm... bring back the nit nurse ... as I am sure the whole country is infested with the little blighter's. Our local schools don't allow the children to attend school if they are known to have head lice.. same with my nursery. So the shears will definitely come in handy when James goes to school lol!

The best solution all around for preventing pediculosis is the Yul Brenner.

yul.gif

Ahhh I wonder if this was the cause of Britneys problem lol!!!! :lol:

OMG can they live in these places? I am meticulous with my bedding....but the car, the dog...she has flea jabs...can they live on the dog...it's never ending!

I'll continue my weekly ritual......and be happy when Laura is older and doesn't do the head to head thing!

I can't imagine trying to wash mayonaise out of her hair....washing conditioner out is a feat in itself!

Actually Cathie yes they do tranfer to stuffed animals, bedding, chairs, cars etc. They can live up to 48 hrs without the host of blood and human skin. You need to bag all stuffed animals and throw the bag in a garage for 48 hrs. You need to wash all bedding in HOT water/HOT dryer..spray your mattress with a Lice spray. spray your car seats with lice spray. Spray all couches and chairs with cloth with lice spray. It is the only way to not re infest yourselves..
As far as the dog goes...i know humans can get fleas from dogs but I haven't ever heard of dogs getting lice from humans and vise versa..might be worth calling your health dept and asking.

And about the mayonnaise...it is really easy to wash out. Vaseline isn't!!

Damn It!! now I am itching..LOL

the best way to get rid of them is to shave one half of the head, then the half left with hair, you set it on fire ........ when the nits run out into the clearing, you hit the little nits over the head with a stick.:)

The one thing you must remember when your child comes home with nits (the eggs) or lice (the layers of the eggs!) these is to reassure him or her that they like clean hair and it happens to so many kids and parents too - all too often they with a horrified response from parents and think they are dirty:eek: . Act calmly (difficult sometime - I know!!) They must be treated as soon as you are aware of the nits otherwise it will only get worse and the head will be crawling with fully grown and reproductive lice!

There are lots of preparations on the market but these little blighters tend to get immune to the latest treatments so it is always wise to try different ones if at first you don't suceed. Ask you local pharmacist for advice.

Keep up with regular close inspections and take a look at this site for extra info Head Lice and Nits Information page - The Little Surgery, Stamford, UK

Good luck, I remember those days only too well as my daughter first got them when she started school in Belgium - and "nits" wasn't one of the regular words in a French phrase book!

Mandy x

the best way to get rid of them is to shave one half of the head, then the half left with hair, you set it on fire ........ when the nits run out into the clearing, you hit the little nits over the head with a stick.:)

You brute you !!!!:lol::lol::lol:

once d nited spray the hair with a lavender spray, asda sell it, they don`t like it to prevent further infestation also i advise the conditioner and wet comb method, the conditioner smooths the cuticle and helps prevent the nits from sticking to it. these are the eggs the lice are the crawly things.
Another good tip is to brush the childs hair really good before bed time as the lice tend to lay the nits at night and if the lice are damaged in anyway they can`t lay the nits.
but don`t forget to clean the hairbrush as well as bedding ect as from experiance they walk round in the brush to!!

I have not seen anyone mention the one thing that I found to work and that is the battery powered nit comb, you run it through the hair and it electrocutes the nasty klittle bleeders. worked for me on my kids!!!

My little boy started school in September and had them 3 times in 3 weeks costing us £30 in bloomin treatments!

Since been using ABC Intensive tea tree shampoo and fingers crossed, so far so good, even tho they are still rife in the school. hth

I have not seen anyone mention the one thing that I found to work and that is the battery powered nit comb, you run it through the hair and it electrocutes the nasty klittle bleeders. worked for me on my kids!!!

i saw that in boots and at £20 thought it looked brill as its just a 1 off payment and not keep paying £10 odd over and over on lotions that dont work....so you rate it then...?

might give that a go....my kids have long thick hair and have been lucky to only have nits twice...but i hated both times...and its such a nightmare washing all the bedding again and the teddys...everything they are in close conatct with...:irked:

I bought one of these (mine were £30 from Argos) but it was a bit of a pain going through long thick hair. You do it when the hair is dry and it zaps the live ones. As the prongs are very close together it can pull a bit.. and of course you get lots of wailing from the child. However, I bought another comb that cost me £10 and that was a lot better.. but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I will have to try and do a search for it.

The electric ones worked really well on short hair tho :)

Edit: Found the link now.. they are called Nittygritty Nitty Gritty - Nitty Gritty NitFree Nit Comb - £10.99 inc p&p! - nittygritty.co.uk

Jade's hair was very long when she got them, but she was fine with the electronic one, she only got them twice and if her younger cousins ever get nits and she has been in close contact with them, I go over her hair with it as a precaution and no probs.

No more nit nurses?!?!?!? I cant beleive it!!!
Ive been compaining to anyone within earshot about how barbaric this country is for not having the nit nurse and for allowing kids to attend nursery/school when theyve got nits. Not like England which has the nit nurse etc :o

Rosemary oil is used A LOT here, dab it around the hair line.

I bought a few potions but they made my hands burn and itch, even after Id washed them so I didnt want to use it on my son. xx

sorry but my little lad has his head shaved !! not quite yul brenner but near enough , lol , after being a hairdresser and getting a few clients with walking heads i always said i would shave my kids head , lol
even olivia will have her head shaved when she goes to school :lol: ok maybe not i think maybe a mohawk instead , lol

katie got them once on holiday (sure it was from the street lady who braided her hair)

She was itching like mad but i kep checking and checking her hair couldnt see a thing...got my hairdresser mate to check them.....she couldnt find anything THEN...ONE DAY saw a BIG MOMMA crawling across her forehead:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

EEEK EEEK EEEK...anyway splatted the little f**er and took all her braids out and found another 3.:eek: :eek:

I got hederin which sorted it straight out thankfully.

Straightening irons are sposed to kill them too.

I use Australian Body care tea tree shampoo and conditioner now (normally stock up at the beauty shows) NOT SEEN ANY of the pesky gits SINCE !

1Body1Life

amb xxxxxxxxx

Nitty gritty and the conditioner method combined is the most effective method of removal and iradication in the U.K atm hth's .

heya. nits is a big problem at the minute in our local area. i think the good old nit comb and loads of cheap conditioner is the best. the NHS have brought out a new 'herbal head lice solution' called DELACET. this is free on prescription so it could ne worth while trying instead of paying a fortune for the lotions and potions from the shop. hth!!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back