Nits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what i did was on advise of peditrician and thank god it worked. have to do it on a weekend. take and saturate head with olive oil wrap head in plastic wrap tight put a shower cap onto head and leave it the entire weekend. the oil will suffacate the nits and they are easier to pull out of the hair when slick. i also have to say my daughters hair is so curly so it was very difficult to deal with so just for some added reasurrance i heated up my flat iron (450 degrees) and made her hair straight which made it easier to pull nits out and honesty those combs did not help nails did gross but what can you do. Then i repeated the flat iron for a couple of days i know not the best for the hair but if the nits did not suffocate they surly did not live thru the heat of flat iron.

Good luck it is not fun to deal with!!

Michele

My daughter had them couple of years ago, when I was pregnant with my now young man. It was horrible, as I was pregnatn I couldn't use any chemicals, so we did comb our hair with the conditioner every day and that worked. I did spoke to my GP and he told me that all these chemicals actually can make them resistant to insectisides, so you should not have more than 2 or 3 treatments and then you should only use the old fashion wet combing. He also told that unfortunately they are not too fuzzy about the quality of hair, greesy or non greesy doesn't really matter. The hairdresser I work with found once a nest ( yes you read it correctly ) in someones hair.....this was a little boy and because he had afro his mum found it really hard to maintain it and comb it through daily. So as long it is hair THEY LOVE IT! My girl brings a letter home every week but fingers crossed, I've found nothing yet!:green:

No more nit nurses?!?!?!? I cant beleive it!!!
Ive been compaining to anyone within earshot about how barbaric this country is for not having the nit nurse and for allowing kids to attend nursery/school when theyve got nits. Not like England which has the nit nurse etc :o

Bring back the Nit Nurse !!!

Eva

Tea tree shampoo and conditioner works a treat, but to be extra sure add a couple of drops of geranium oil to the conditioner. It's a natural insect repellent. Age and cleanliness of child doesn't matter, my 14 yr old son with long hair brought them home recently.:eek:

hehe - I don't know whether the ads are revolving or not but on the 1st page of Cathie's thread (for me anyway :lol: ) all the ads are promoting remedies for getting rid of head lice! - just off back to check hehe - ok I know simple things please simple minds :lol:

To add - just checked yep it's still there :lol:

here goes
2 year a so ago my 2 girls had the nits and was very hard to get rid of used all possions and to no avail didn't work within a week or so the dredded thing were back, like me having got my nvq 3 had a looked in aromotherapy books but nothing about how to get rid of them
so i made my own up and tested it on my girls here is the recipie

75ml of almond oil
12 drops of lavender oil
12 drops of eucalyptus oil
7 drops of frankincense
mix them altogether and pour on to the hair and start to comb through, if you need more mix more and do the same again, once you have completely covered hair wrap clingflim over the hair and leave for an hour,
After an hour take the clingfilm off and comb through the hair making sure you place a towel around the neck and cover youself you will then see all the nits drop onto the towel, do this until no more drop you will even see the eggs drop, the shampoo and condition hair in the normal way and yet again comb through the hair whilst the condition is still on. and you will see the remaining nits and eggs drop,
towel dry the hair and go through the hair with your comb section by section and see if you see any,
you probably will but they will be dead and should only be the shells left in,

repeat this process 3 days after and you will find no more nits

i tried this and had no and not seen any since,

to buy the essential oils is to buy from your local beauty suppliers and not your retail shops in town as they are different

hope this helps you out please try it and let me know how you get on
it the fumes of the essential oils that kills them

hope it works i know it will

Another good tip is to brush the childs hair really good before bed time as the lice tend to lay the nits at night and if the lice are damaged in anyway they can`t lay the nits.

Good tip! I didn't know about giving them a good bashing with the hairbrush! :lol: Luckily we are (fingers crossed) not infested at present but I know it's only ever just a matter of time . . . I'll be trying that!

So are the nits the unhatched eggs, not the lice?

What I do with my 5yr old daughter is, after washing the last rinse I use a mixture of vinegar and water, apparently the vinger breaks down the sticky stuff that holds the eggs, so you find it easier to comb the little buggers out. Take care with their eyes I make my daughter bend over the bath with a towel over her eyes and rinse with the mixture. Don't re-rinse with clear water, and don't worry they don't smell vinegary, but yes i also agree with loads of conditioner this doesn't do much for the eggs, but the nits find it really hard to climb about, I've never tried the t. tree oil, will give that a go too, but fingers crossed at the moment she hasn't got any!!! Thank God,

i saw that in boots and at £20 thought it looked brill as its just a 1 off payment and not keep paying £10 odd over and over on lotions that dont work....so you rate it then...?

might give that a go....my kids have long thick hair and have been lucky to only have nits twice...but i hated both times...and its such a nightmare washing all the bedding again and the teddys...everything they are in close conatct with...:irked:

I have one of those nits eletrocuters, but only used it once on my daughter, on long hair its hard to use but if you have boys, i'd say go for it, buy one, the combs are really tight together so on long hair it tends to pull alot. Maybe before buying if you know anyone who has one give it a try first... Good Luck:lol:

So are the nits the unhatched eggs, not the lice?

That's right nits are the eggs - the live ones that crawl about are called lice.
I use Nitty Gritty on my 2 boys and it works a treat.

The other thing I was always told is that they like hot people! My youngest is always hot and he gets them from school, my eldest son doesn't get them at all as he's always moaning he's cold. Being brothers they are always rolling around and fighting so it should eb quite easy for the older one to get them but he doesn't!

If the lice is damaged in any way it will die so the constant brushing of hair will help because you could break it's legs etc and then bye bye lice!

Having just been through the weekly ritual of nit combing in the bath with loads of conditioner, I was wondering what the professional's take of getting rid of the dreaded nits (other than bringing back the nit nurse and sending infested kids home until they were clear) is?

Would you recommend the potions and lotions you can buy from the chemist or do you recommend the conditioner and nit comb method.

I have tried nitty gritty but that stuff is so hard to wash out when you are dealing with 4, 5, 6 year olds!

I have also heard that if you slather your child's hair in gel the nits aren't so happy to transfer heads.

Advice welcome as nits are endemic in my kids' school!!!

Right I'm typing first then reading posts.

This is a major bug bearer of mine (excuse the pun).

I hate the bloody things, my 14 year old when younger suffered hurrendously and I was VIGILANT with making sure she didnt' get them!!

What annoyed me was that the other parents weren't!:smack: They would send their kids into school with their heads crawling, meaning that no matter how much I treated my daughter, kept her off school she would always get them back.:evil:

My five year old has never has them until last week when I had to pick her up from school as the teacher has found a couple of live ones in her hair and guess who give them to her..... ME!!!!

I had been to a clients house, she had an adorable little one who asked for a cuddle, (how can you resist??) I accepted and then she told me she had headlice, great!!

I brought Hedrin, what a pile of poo that is. It drowns them apparently in what looks like baby oil all for the price of £11.49 :eek: but you still have to do it 7 days later for the eggs that haven't hatched yet!, It doesn't kill the eggs. That's just a vicious circle in my eyes and a money earner!

I vote for the nit nurse, OK it may be embaressing that your child has been sent home after seeing the nit nurse but at least they are found and something can be done about them sharpish, I'd love her to come back to the school, infact I've even offered to volunteer along with other mums to check the kids hair but obviously I am not allowed.

So in light of that fact, good old conditioner and a nit comb works, so I'm sticking with that!!

Teri x:hug: ( an itchy Teri )

the only thing that worked for me was a product called RID from the USA they actually are dead when you comb them off the hair. Also i managed to purchase a really fab comb from our chemist with 1 1/2" long metal teeth with groves which gets right into the hair its brill. But they still keep catching nits cause people at school dont bother checking their kids hair.:evil:

Hi girls well i am a hairdresser and often get clients with nits we do a treatment on them straight away we mix tea tree with cider vinegar and baby oil leave on with cap for 20 mins then wash off and see them all go down the drain.

My 7 year old daughter has lovely long blonde hair and previously attracted nits like a magnet!!! She can be clear on Monday morning & would always bring some home by the end of the week!

My cure, in the evening smother hair with the Nitty Gritty Spray & comb thru well and leave over night. In the morning wash and condition hair, blow dry & use straighters - with a good 'straightening spray' (listen to the nits & eggs popping - very satisfying). Daily spray hair with Nitty Gritty and keep hair as close to head as possible - french plaits are best!

I'm a Brownie Leader in my spare time & so many of the girls are crawling - I'm very selfish and have a six of 'clean kids' which I have put my daughter in (but still check her after every meeting)!!

Yuk, makes me itch just writing about the little buggers - think I'm off for some theraputic combing!!!

Tried the vinegar......Stinks to high heaven but does the job....It's an acid so basically burns the little buggars and it's a great conditioning treatment too! Stings a bit if you've been scratching hard though as it gets into all the sore bits, so maybe not great for the little ones but great if they happen to pass 'em on to you and much cheaper than all the over-the-counter stuff which never seems to work - i don't know about this new headrin, but when i was young my mum tried EVERYTHING on us kids (poor woman had 3 girls with very long hair and a boy with a really thick mop too!)

Olive oil and vinegar it seems would be a safer way. At least that stuff is all natural so you are limiting how many chemicals are being absorbed :)

Tried the vinegar......Stinks to high heaven but does the job....It's an acid so basically burns the little buggars and it's a great conditioning treatment too! Stings a bit if you've been scratching hard though as it gets into all the sore bits, so maybe not great for the little ones but great if they happen to pass 'em on to you and much cheaper than all the over-the-counter stuff which never seems to work - i don't know about this new headrin, but when i was young my mum tried EVERYTHING on us kids (poor woman had 3 girls with very long hair and a boy with a really thick mop too!)

This actually isn't factuall. Vinegar does not kill lice and eggs,what it does do is smooth and coat the hair so new lice can not cling on to the slippery surface hth's.

Olive oil and vinegar it seems would be a safer way. At least that stuff is all natural so you are limiting how many chemicals are being absorbed :)

How it works is this,one strand of hair and once lice can slip through the teeth of the comb,the conditioner in effect quadrupals the density of the strand of hair and the lice are therefore caught.

The vinegar on the final rinse creates a slippery surface to which lice are unable to attatch hth's x

This actually isn't factuall. Vinegar does not kill lice and eggs,what it does do is smooth and coat the hair so new lice can not cling on to the slippery surface hth's.

Really?! Will have to shoot my hairdresser then, she told me it burnt 'em.....spose it did the job though so i shouldn't complain!

Latest posts

Back