No 12% or above without a licence?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
I was given this letter today in my local warehouse, you have to pay £40 a year aparantly to buy 12 % from now, anyone else heared of this? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412173504.333570.jpg

I have just followed the instructions in the letter you posted an image of:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-explosive-precursors#regulated-substances

Fair enough, I suppose, to reduce the manufacture of home-made explosives. PITA for hairdressers, though.

Reading these paragraphs, if you have it already, you're OK until 2 March 2016, but as of 2nd September 2014 you can't buy any more without the license.

From 2 September 2014, members of the public who want to acquire or import these chemicals must have a valid licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document.

From 2 March 2016, members of the public who want to possess or use these chemicals must have a valid licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document."​

Looks like £40 every 3 years though, so it could be worse.

Last edited:
I bought some from Salon Services the other day....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"A member of the public must provide a valid licence and associated photo ID if they wish to buy or receive any of the regulated substances above the specified concentration limit.

Concentration threshold
hydrogen peroxide:12% w/w"

The way I read this is that you need a licence to purchase anything above 12% ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with Adamlea

------------------------------

A member of the public ....must provide ...if they wish to buy ... any of the regulated substances above the specified concentration limit.

Concentration threshold
hydrogen peroxide:12% w/w

-----------------------------------

It means you can no longer purchase 18% without a licence, which isn't presumably an issue for legit hairdressers?

kahuna hair: Did the Warehouse refuse to sell you a bottle of 12%?

Was it a big chain Warehouse or a small local independent one?

It was a local warehouse not a chain, I only went in to update my new insurance details, When I re read the letter when I got home, I got that u can't buy 12% and above but they actually wouldn't sell me any peroxide whatsoever untill i get the licence

What's the bet that lots of 11.5% crops up now?

Just google searched and the legislation will also include acetone

So selling direct into salons must be affected to?

No, you CAN legitimately buy 12%.

It's anything ABOVE 12% that's prohibited. So it shouldn't affect hairdressers as 12% is the maximum we would normally use.

The Warehouse has made a mistake in interpreting the new rules.

It's a rule being enforced by the government they told me, to stop terrorists getting their hand on peroxide, which is all well and good but I bet they'll still get it anyway, if it's from the government then yea I would think it's going to affect all purchases of peroxide no matter where you buy it from, the warehouse I went to today is a really strict one tho that asks for qualifications and insurance details etc but the other one I go to is more relaxed so I can imagine it'll be managers preference if it's enforced tbh

It says 12 % and aboveImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412201552.594074.jpg

Clearly they took it to their own meaning anyway because they wouldn't sell me any peroxide at all untill I get a licence :/

I didn't even know you could still get 18%??

It's on every website of every local wholesaler near where I live

I've read through the whole document and proceeded to see whether I'd need a licence to buy 18% (where available) and got to this.......ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412203102.002161.jpg

It would seem we as professionals are not "members of the public"

Maybe if the warehouses did their jobs propperly and diddnt sell peroxide to the public at all like sallys do then this wouldn't even be an issue

Maybe if the warehouses did their jobs propperly and diddnt sell peroxide to the public at all like sallys do then this wouldn't even be an issue

It really bugs me that Sally's retail to non professionals

Latest posts

Back