No consultation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really does amaze me how these salons manage to stay open!!!
It's frustrating to say the least. X

I would still take all my clients details and I would still do a consultation with them - mostly to see if they had an allergies in the past Ive had allergies from mascara to penicillin so if I came across a customer who esp had allergies I would insist on a patch test for the glue, or what if the company I was using had a bad batch of glue or eyelashes if I hadnt done a consultation and got the customers details how would I trace any customers affected? extreme and maybe not even realistic but I would rather be safe than sorry!

I think you've misunderstood me, I DO keep client records. Gosh, consultation goes without saying! I did state that in my original post. I was specifically enquiring about patch testing for lashes. What did your training teach you with regards to this and how do you patch test for this treatment? I, as I said have put the gel patches on and then bonded a few lashes on each eye - is there another way and do you always test the gel patches on them? I was taught that clients are more likely to have a reaction to the gel patches that the actual lash treatment.

Last edited:
^ Some glues suggest/require patch testing. All of the glues I've used have recommended a patch test prior to treatment. I do this by adhering an individual lash or two to the outer corners of the client's lashes.

I notice a few geeks mention they have not received a patch test for eyelash extensions... this still seems to be somewhat unclear. On training with novalash we were taught that a patch test was not required. This was stated in the training manual too. I now buy flirties lash products and their was no mention of a patch test. I did question why this was and was asked what would you patch test for - the glue does not touch the skin. Although the gel pads do? What i tend to do for lash extensions is get them to fill out the product specific consultation form at the appointment, but discuss any sensitivities with them prior to this at the time of booking and if there is anything that comes up, I get them in and put the gel patches on and put in about 5 lashes on each eye as a patch test. Be interesting to know what other geeks do in regards to this particular treatment :)

If u are trained with Flirties then you are trained to patch test and that is by putting a couple of lashes at each corner

If u are trained with Flirties then you are trained to patch test and that is by putting a couple of lashes at each corner

Good to know, thanks

Also the therapist failed to ask me anything about my skin or skincare routine or if I'd had a facial previously. I would have thought she would have asked me this at least. She did ask me if I was going anywhere nice though. :confused::biggrin: Put it this way I won't be going back.:eek:

Exactly the same happened to me. I went to a salon local to me for a crystal clear facial, well actually I went just for a relaxing facial. Had no consultation and ended up having the crystal clear she just assumed that was what I was having. The salon is big modern and trendy and always seems busy so I assumed they were good. Also my partners ex goes for eyelash extension somewhere else and she has always gone there and is very happy with them but she always reacts to the gel pads (she has very sensitive skin) she always goes back for them, I don't do lashes so don't know but couldn't they use something else.

I've never had a consultation at the salon I go to for waxing / mani / pedi. I filled in a client record card and that was it, the first time I went.

However, they did do a very thorough one for my IPL treatment because there's so much aftercare.

I'm going to a new place for a wax this week, so I'll be interested to see if she does one.

When it's me with the clients, EVERYONE will have a consultation first, always!!

No consultation - oh that is not a good practice whatsoever neither for the client or the salon as it leaves the salon open to all sorts should something go wrong not to mention the clients skin!!

I find it amazing that a therapist would do any sort of skincare treatment without a consultation, worse case scenario a verbal could be a start but even then there is no written record of anything.

I wonder if they wrote up any notes after you left or that was it after the goodbye.

I've recently started doing nails from home and we were taught to keep records, and I do.... yet every single one of my clients so far have commented on 'how posh' or that they haven't ever done it before. I found it very bizarre too xx

I think you've misunderstood me, I DO keep client records. Gosh, consultation goes without saying! I did state that in my original post. I was specifically enquiring about patch testing for lashes. What did your training teach you with regards to this and how do you patch test for this treatment? I, as I said have put the gel patches on and then bonded a few lashes on each eye - is there another way and do you always test the gel patches on them? I was taught that clients are more likely to have a reaction to the gel patches that the actual lash treatment.

I dont currently do eyelash extensions I do tanning although thinking of adding eyelash extensions with flirties its good to know from reading the other replies that they teach patch testing - what I was referring to was from my personal experience - no consultation just my name and a number no questions about my allergies even tho I had stated I have had allergic reactions to mascara though to serious allergic reactions to penicillin.

I am currently working in a small salon and my boss does not do Any of this and it frustrates me so much. If we have a walk in for a tint she will say yes without any tint test because she thinks it will put them off. If i say you need a tint test she goes mad at me saying ive lost her a client and money! I have mine own consultation cards which i have to take home so she doesnt find them! I am so unhappy in this salon but feel as though i am stuck because there is no work but i dont want to give myself a bad name by staying here any longer :( everyone tells me to go solo even my clients hopefully one day i will be brave enough lol. X

Ok slightly off topic and sorry if TMI but I went for a bikini wax and as I was so nervous (first time) didn't even think about there being no consultation - until part way through the Hollywood she was doing I said erm...I booked in for a Brazilian. To which she replied oops, well I've done it now. I was still so shocked I never noticed no aftercare advice till I got home and thought-what do I do now?! Amazing. This is a well-thought-of salon too :eek:

Ok slightly off topic and sorry if TMI but I went for a bikini wax and as I was so nervous (first time) didn't even think about there being no consultation - until part way through the Hollywood she was doing I said erm...I booked in for a Brazilian. To which she replied oops, well I've done it now. I was still so shocked I never noticed no aftercare advice till I got home and thought-what do I do now?! Amazing. This is a well-thought-of salon too :eek:

Wow!!! That's bad, poor you, after care after waxing is important too! X

Hahaha I know!! In hindsight...I can't believe I just handed my cash over and said thanks very much! :D

I am currently working in a small salon and my boss does not do Any of this and it frustrates me so much. If we have a walk in for a tint she will say yes without any tint test because she thinks it will put them off. If i say you need a tint test she goes mad at me saying ive lost her a client and money! I have mine own consultation cards which i have to take home so she doesnt find them! I am so unhappy in this salon but feel as though i am stuck because there is no work but i dont want to give myself a bad name by staying here any longer :( everyone tells me to go solo even my clients hopefully one day i will be brave enough lol. X

That's so unprofessional of your boss. A skin test should definetly be carried out 24-48 hours before treatment. Blimey whats going on? It must be so frustrating for you. One day she will get caught out either by getting sued when a client has a bad reaction or the health and saftey team pop in on the "off chance" ( as they do) She will have lost more that just money then..:rolleyes:

Ouch!:eek:

Hahaha I know!! In hindsight...I can't believe I just handed my cash over and said thanks very much! :D

Ahh that's the same as I would of done, Thank god she wasn't a hair dresser :) xx

I have been to a VERY reputable salon in Glasgow for spray tan, massage and waxing and never had to fill in a CRC. Had a consultation, ie what colour, how much pressure. I know they should be keeping CRC and it does bother me that they are not, but yet I keep going back. Not really sure why that is.

I've also had HD brows done at another salon and she did get me to fill in a CRC after the treatment and I had to ask for a patch test.

Latest posts

Back