No consultation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes me think it could be a time issue with some salons. Could this be why they don't do a consultation perhaps? Maybe they are pushed for time or they can't be bothered taking the time to write one out. :(

It really does amaze me how these salons manage to stay open!!!
It's frustrating to say the least. X

They stay open because for the vast majority of clients there will be no problems. Carrying out a consultation takes time, time which the unscrupulous salon owners out there would rather be spent on doing treatments. Where there is a problem the client will be refunded and given a goodwill gift.
It's the reason that massages are promoted so much; max profit, minimum outlay. All you have to pay for is a low paid therapist and a few pence on some oil.

Nobody gets even so much as a brow shape in my salon without a consultation.

I feel like its all part of the package. You turn up go through the consultation, for some people this may be a time to get to know the therapist and feel more comfortable, also a chance to explain any problems concerns ect, then a treatment which will be to your needs would be carried out.
I may not feel confident in some situations to tell a therapist she should carry one out but would really feel upset if she started putting oils ect on my skin without me having a clue to what she is doing.
Like Lynne Baker said its all about as many as they can get in and out in a day which to me is not what I'd want from a salon. X

not shocked at all. I hand ALL my customers one and the amount of times they look at me in surprise!

Its disgusting.

tigi
x

I'm ashamed to say that when I went for my first leg wax the other day, I didn't question why there was no consultation/record card.

I arrived in time to fill one out, as this has always been the request from other places. But I was whipped up to the waiting room straight away. I thought, right, so this is where I'll fill it out then. But no! I was then asked to go into the treatment room and still nothing!
I was thinking, say something you wally! What about the thread on SG, say something! But nothing came out.

I ended up spending the rest of the evening nursing painful skin. I have to take some responsibility in not speaking up at the time and I aim to speak out next time.

I have to say that for the best part of the time any salons I go to dont always do a consultation, some do a record card.

I personally have almost combined the two, to an extent, I have all relevant address details etc and then I have a form detailing any contra-indications and a yes or no.

If the client circles all NOs then I ask if they are happy with that and get them to sign.

If yes then obviously we go through how it could impact the treatment, if they are still able to have it.

I always ensure the client knows what treatment they have come in for and explain what I will be doing to make sure they are happy but I must say I only go into much more detail with specific treatments such as Facials (skincare routine, skin reactions and much much more) and Massage (pressure and areas to avoid or concentrate on) or Nail enhancements. I always patch test for tinting. and I always give homecare or aftercare advice but I dont do a more in depth consultation for something like leg waxing (unless they have never been waxed before).

Would you ladies say that you do a more detailed consultation with your clients than this? For a slighly simpler treatment such as a leg wax or a file and polish??

Im still pretty new, only had my own room for a couple of months and still working on things all the time and striving to improve :)

That's sounds great to me, as long as you no my concerns ect and I was told what was going to happen what you will be using and aftercare that's great x

Thankyou. I certainly want to be getting it right.

No one gets anything in my salon without a patch test , a few years ago a friend of mines son got a cheap hair dye from a local store and didn't patch test, his head next day had swelled to triple the size his eyes were slits and you could not recognise him at all, the swelling continued down his neck and went to hospital as there were concerns for his breathing. Thankfully he was ok but it was a couple of weeks before he looked himself again. It just shows how easy it can be so be warned a full consultation is always necessary and a patch test a must x x

Thankyou. I certainly want to be getting it right.

Ah thats my view as a customer as i dont have a salon but what you do sounds fab, id def come:biggrin:xx

No one gets anything in my salon without a patch test , a few years ago a friend of mines son got a cheap hair dye from a local store and didn't patch test, his head next day had swelled to triple the size his eyes were slits and you could not recognise him at all, the swelling continued down his neck and went to hospital as there were concerns for his breathing. Thankfully he was ok but it was a couple of weeks before he looked himself again. It just shows how easy it can be so be warned a full consultation is always necessary and a patch test a must x x

This seems to happen more and more, someone was on the tv not long ago this happened too. Very scary:Scared:x

Latest posts

Back