No consultation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I went to a salon as a client a few weeks back to have a crystal clear facial. The salon was only small but was very clean and proffesional looking. As soon as I arrived I gave my name in to the therapist on reception. She took me straight into the treatment room and asked me to lie on the bed. She then performed the facial. No consultation, no questions asked, nothing. The treatment took about 30 mins. I couldnt believe that a consultation wasnt carried out.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hi

Ive had semi perm eyelashes done before and I wasnt given any consultation or patch test even though I had said I have quite afew allergies and sensitive skin

at the time I didnt think too much into it but now Im abit shocked about it!

I've never had a consultation done in a salon. Looking back on all those appointments, it's so crazy to think that they never had any of my details considering what a huge part record cards/consultation cards have played in my college course. I've also never had a patch test in a salon.

Last week I had a new client who told me she had her lashes tinted without a patch test.
incredible!!

I've never had a consultation either or filled out a record card!

All I can say is appalling!!
How did she know what your skin was like? Any concerns? Allergies? It really frustrates me!!!! Grrrrr :-/

The salon I go to do a VERY thorough consultation form - I initially thought it was a bit of a pain but looking back they were doing EXACTLY what they were supposed to (and then some lol) - other places I've been to have never bothered and really I think that is probably a giveaway now and I'd more than likely never go back if a place didn't do a consultation... for some treatments I would probably not even let them go ahead! (Anything involving a tint etc...)

I'm currently training and all the girls in my class said, they've never been asked to do a consultation form..I think its ridiculous not doing one, it gives you an insight into what your client hopes to get out of the treatment etc

All I can say i
How did she know what your skin was like? Any concerns? Allergies? It really frustrates me!!!! Grrrrr :-/

My point exactly. My face was beetroot by the end of it. Ive had a crystal clear beforr in another salon and my face went a bit red as expected but not like that. It took about 4 days to calm down. I always make out a record card 4 every client. I always have.

It's such a shame! It's places like this that put people off treatments! Not only that but how is the therapist ment to retail products or further treatments? Doh!!

Aside from the lady who now does my facials for me, I've not once received a consultation from a single salon I've been to over the years, for multitudes of treatments including lash extensions.

I suffer with oily sensitive skin prone to spots so if it were me I'd be really worried she was using the right products for my skin.

Its awfull isnt it? It's a necessity and should be one of the main parts
of a therapist and clients treatment.

I've never been asked to fill out a consultation card. Quite frankly I think some treatments could be dangerous without doing one. I always always do a consultation and record card with my clients.
Rhiannon x

I'm amazed.

I notice a few geeks mention they have not received a patch test for eyelash extensions... this still seems to be somewhat unclear. On training with novalash we were taught that a patch test was not required. This was stated in the training manual too. I now buy flirties lash products and their was no mention of a patch test. I did question why this was and was asked what would you patch test for - the glue does not touch the skin. Although the gel pads do? What i tend to do for lash extensions is get them to fill out the product specific consultation form at the appointment, but discuss any sensitivities with them prior to this at the time of booking and if there is anything that comes up, I get them in and put the gel patches on and put in about 5 lashes on each eye as a patch test. Be interesting to know what other geeks do in regards to this particular treatment :)

I guess if you weren't in the industry and therefore didn't know better it's one thing, but as a person who works in the industry and knows the importance of a CRC, I would ask why my therapist hasn't filled a card out and not proceed with the treatment if it wasn't done.

That's just my opinion, but if a therapist or beautician can't be bothered to find out about my needs and whether a treatment is suitable then they aren't touching me!

I notice a few geeks mention they have not received a patch test for eyelash extensions... this still seems to be somewhat unclear. On training with novalash we were taught that a patch test was not required. This was stated in the training manual too. I now buy flirties lash products and their was no mention of a patch test. I did question why this was and was asked what would you patch test for - the glue does not touch the skin. Although the gel pads do? What i tend to do for lash extensions is get them to fill out the product specific consultation form at the appointment, but discuss any sensitivities with them prior to this at the time of booking and if there is anything that comes up, I get them in and put the gel patches on and put in about 5 lashes on each eye as a patch test. Be interesting to know what other geeks do in regards to this particular treatment :)

I would still take all my clients details and I would still do a consultation with them - mostly to see if they had an allergies in the past Ive had allergies from mascara to penicillin so if I came across a customer who esp had allergies I would insist on a patch test for the glue, or what if the company I was using had a bad batch of glue or eyelashes if I hadnt done a consultation and got the customers details how would I trace any customers affected? extreme and maybe not even realistic but I would rather be safe than sorry!

With crystal clear facials if you are prone to cold sores it can encourage more and bring them out! If there is no consultation how would the therapist know this about you or any skin problems or allergies! Really winds me up as I spend along time checking and consulting with clients!

Its awfull isnt it? It's a necessity and should be one of the main parts
of a therapist and clients treatment.

I know, I'd be worrying all throught the treatment thinking will my skin break out ect! I was taught before every treatment do a consultation, I would hope going for a facial the therapist would care enough to find out about my skin concerns, I guess some just don't care :( x

Latest posts

Back