No GP note, No treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlepinkfairy

Reaction score
I had to put this to you all to see if you agree, I had a client booked in for a cold slimming body treatment only to find she suffers with high blood pressure which is a contra-indication to the treament. So I politely and professionally explained the situation and asked her to seek advice from her GP before I could go ahead with the treatment, to which she got very aggrovated and told me no way would she spend an hour in the doctors surgery for ME! She told me she has sports massages all the time and she has never had a problem, so I asked her if any of them had asked about her blood pressure first and she didn't really answer me. Well in the end she got up and stormed out. But obviously none of the other salons are checking contra-indications, would you have done the treatment anyway? I know I did my job properly but how many other therapists aren't???:eek:

No I wouldn't do a treatment on someone who has a definite contraindication. What other therapists do is up to them, but you know that you took the best and most professional course of action, even if your client doesn't appreciate that. If you'd gone ahead and there was some kind of problem, you would have found yourself up to your neck in deep doo-doo. Imo, just not worth the risk.

You did the right thing and i would of too.
At the end of the day it was this womans health that would of been put at risk and she should of appreciated the fact that you were honest with her and had her best interests at heart.
Some people have a nerve.
Good on you though :)

I think that high blood pressure can often cause confusion when it is seen as a contraindication to treatments.

I suffer from high bp, but I am on medication which controls it and therefore as far as I am concerned it isn't a contraindication. In fact I'm probably a lot 'safer' than someone who says they are healthy but in fact have undiagnosed (and therefore un-treated) high bp.

Certainly I haven't ever been advised by my gp that I have to be careful about anything so long as I am taking the prescribed medication.

Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't but I have a snotty cold and my brain is fuzzy!! lol :lol:

I think that high blood pressure can often cause confusion when it is seen as a contraindication to treatments.

I suffer from high bp, but I am on medication which controls it and therefore as far as I am concerned it isn't a contraindication. In fact I'm probably a lot 'safer' than someone who says they are healthy but in fact have undiagnosed (and therefore un-treated) high bp.

Certainly I haven't ever been advised by my gp that I have to be careful about anything so long as I am taking the prescribed medication.

Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't but I have a snotty cold and my brain is fuzzy!! lol :lol:

You actually make perfect sense despite your cold! I am inclined to think that this particular lady wasn't on medication for her BP as the "current medication" part of the form was left blank with a line through it. I just think if anything happened she would be the first to sue our ass! Better to be safe than sorry!
xx:hug:xx

With contra-indications I play it this way,if the client says they have one,I always ask if it is under control,if it is then I go ahead,within reason obviously:green:If they have high blood pressure(example)and it's not under control by medication and it's a contra-indication then no way,our consultations need to be thorough in order to establish if it really is a contra-indication at all.Make sure they sign their client card to say that what they have told you is true though,that way there can be no comeback.

A lot of contra-indications are there to protect us,a lot are downright silly and it's down to us to use our common sense,luckily I have only ever turned down one client and that was over blood pressure and massage.She was most upset,but not angry,2 years later she came back and I recognised her,I hope she respects me for my decision and lets hope your client will respect you for having her best interest at heart.:hug:

I expect your client was disappointed as she was maybe having this for a special occasion of just to feel good and had been looking forward to it and so maybe that's why she was peeved. However I think you will probably have got her asking herself questions about why other places hadn't bothered to check. None of us like letting clients down, but sometimes we just have to.

Latest posts

Back