No Shows And Non Returners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharong

Reaction score
Hiya all

Im very new to Nails and the industry. I have been renting space in a Hairsalon for 6 months and have only had a few customers so far.

I was wondering how you have dealt with the following when you first started up.

1)
No Shows - whether you call them - does this show you are concerned or does it look like you are desperate!!

2)
I have had a few people who came in for manicures and said it was brilliant and booked for a month later. They then cancelled with the Hairdresser and said they would ring to rebook and have not been in contact since.

The Hairdressers on the same road as us is now doing nails and Im curious as to whether these clients are going to them or if I have done something wrong.

Do I just have to accept that people may only come in for 1 appointment or could I send out a mini questionnaire or reminder note to ask for constructive criticism or is this leaving myself wide open!!

Would appreciate any comments on these as I want to ensure that I start professional and I suppose it does take time to adjust to trying not to take things personally.

Thanks

Sharon

I've been renting space in a salon for a year now and still the same thing happens. People love their nails, they last a long time yet they don't come back for fills or removal. Usually i end up finding out that they ripped them off 6 or 7 weeks later and sometimes they end up coming back for a new set a few months later. I find this extremely frustrating because it means that my business doesn't grow much, i might get 2 new clients but i will lose an older client, etc... As for no-shows it happens quite often, and no, i don't call them back because they usually won't answer.

I alway ring clients in the morning if they have an 1hr plus time slot booked with me........
I call it my confermation call..................On the lines of, Hi this is Ruth your Nail Technician, you have a xyz appointment with me today at xyz time.....
Are you still ok for this slot? Then if they are not they have a chance to rebook or let me allocate it to someone else..................

If there is a no show, I call them just after their appointment time and see if all is well......
As I deal with city people, they are prone to get called into last minute meetings..............FACT of life for me, so not much I can do about it........So I dont stress.........(much)

These calls are made because I run a business, not because I am desperate!!!
I also stay calm and happy on the phone, so they know, no matter what, there will be never a reason to avoid me.........

I think the comments book is a brill idea.............I have used it and got some valuable feedback..................
The only thing you are leaving yourself wide open to is............possible improvement..............Don' take comments personal, take them on the chin in a business sense.............
You could find out as I did, that our service was brill and comments to that where fab...... but it was the receptionist skills, that where lacking..............

So I wrote some Nail related info for her....about my service, the different systems I offer, basic stuff ...........printed it off, laminated it and asked her to read it.........
She is now the best Nail Receptionist for miles.................she knows her stuff and is competent/polite and happy on the phone, therefor the clients feel they are dealing with Pro's all round....................

But there will always be the clients that are not regulars, but spur of the moment people, but hey then there is a challenge or you, turn them into regulars...............
Look at your service and all that goes with it, from a clients point of view.........thats your starting point.....
just a thought

On this note.....
Does anyone think it a good idea to ask for a deposit on a large booking, say if the booking is for more than two hours in total or for a large amount....
(I have four women booked in to come in together for new nails next month, and am back to working alone on the nails side for the moment, as have just lost my other nail tech, so I would be devastated if such a large booking didn't turn up!

Do you think it would put clients off to be asked for a deposit???

Sue

Winky said:
I've been renting space in a salon for a year now and still the same thing happens. People love their nails, they last a long time yet they don't come back for fills or removal. Usually i end up finding out that they ripped them off 6 or 7 weeks later and sometimes they end up coming back for a new set a few months later. I find this extremely frustrating because it means that my business doesn't grow much, i might get 2 new clients but i will lose an older client, etc... As for no-shows it happens quite often, and no, i don't call them back because they usually won't answer.

No a deposit is perfectly ok....................
It secures their appointment and the serious client will oblige..........
Your Shop your rules !!!!

Ruth is spot on here this is a business and you must be strong and confident.

Take a credit card number to reserve an appointment at the very least. Don't be afraid to ask. Any customer who balks at this isn't a customer!

If your column isn't building, you to literally sit down and analyse why?

Firstly: your marketing package: this goes from bus cards to flyers to ads but is dependent on your offer? What you "offer" to the client. Why should someone come through your door? Right services and treatments for the area.

Secondly: all the above will depend on having a good conceptual product range which gives you full homecare/fashion retail range at the right price and quality to match your "offer."

Thirdly: Is you training up to scratch! and does your service and commercial finsih rate someone returning?

Fourthly: Biggest mistake nail techs. make is to get the balance wrong between being a great listener and confidant and being a good professional sales person recommending and consulting and selling!

Finally: repeat number four, sell yourself, sell your products, sell the benefits, sell the features. Make sure you are using a system with "killer " benefits for your client.

ps: Your in hair salon...you have captive customers! Why haven't you converted everyone of these over to your table? DO yo ensure everyone in the salon staff have perfect nails done by you for them to recommend....do them free. Every hair salon client... do them a mini-manicure at the backwash for free...talk product (if you have good products its a doddle.)

Are you doing a 5 step consultation? Look to the great salons like associate nails they do a 5 step, they have trained nail therapists who "sell" by recommendation!:)

moreover sucess is about repeating good habits and modelling yourself on sucessful salons!

Have to say i agree with Ruth, i call my client the day before or the morning of her appointment to check all is ok. I had one client who just couldn't afford it till the end of the month so i said no problem and rebooked.

Sometimes it is as simple as that, not everyone can afford to come fortnightly or so. As Ruth said if you stay positive and happy on the phone the client doesn't feel obligated to tell you what she thinks you want to hear, this way you are both happy.:) You also know where you stand.

I am also new in the industry and my client base is taking a while to build up too but it does tend to happen in the strangest of ways. I recently got a new client through my Nan's carer. She saw my nails and asked me where i got them done, as soon as she new i did them she said, "Book me in please ". Always carry cards around with you then you are prepared atall times.

Take a credit card number to reserve an appointment at the very least. Don't be afraid to ask. Any customer who balks at this isn't a customer!

Firstly: your marketing package: this goes from bus cards to flyers to ads but is dependent on your offer? What you "offer" to the client. Why should someone come through your door? Right services and treatments for the area.

Secondly: all the above will depend on having a good conceptual product range which gives you full homecare/fashion retail range at the right price and quality to match your "offer."

Thirdly: Is you training up to scratch! and does your service and commercial finsih rate someone returning?

Fourthly: Biggest mistake nail techs. make is to get the balance wrong between being a great listener and confidant and being a good professional sales person recommending and consulting and selling!

Finally: repeat number four, sell yourself, sell your products, sell the benefits, sell the features. Make sure you are using a system with "killer " benefits for your client.

ps: Your in hair salon...you have captive customers! Why haven't you converted everyone of these over to your table? DO yo ensure everyone in the salon staff have perfect nails done by you for them to recommend....do them free. Every hair salon client... do them a mini-manicure at the backwash for free...talk product (if you have good products its a doddle.)

Are you doing a 5 step consultation? Look to the great salons like associate nails they do a 5 step, they have trained nail therapists who "sell" by recommendation!:)

moreover sucess is about repeating good habits and modelling yourself on sucessful salons!

Sharon,
Hi! Your on the right track!! Be confident!!
1.) No Shows - Yes, call if they don't show, but another alternative is to confirm your appointments the day before. Doesn't show desperation, only shows you are an organized nail tech who does not have time to waste.
2.) Rebooking - Some clients may forget so a reminder is not a bad idea!! If a questionnaire is what your thinking of, why not add a discount coupon to get them back in to the salon?? Once you get them back...never let them leave without booking their next appointment!! Then.........back to #1.) Confirm the day before!!! Hope this helps a little!! Good Luck!!!

Candy

TheOrator said:

Thanks everyone for the advice of which ive taken onboard. I think confidence is a big thing and its hard to feel 100% confident when just starting out and you do tend to take things a bit more personally - but im going to get there!!

In respect of currently being in a hair salon the hairdresser has only been in the salon 18 months so doesnt yet have a full quota of clients herself and probably a good 90% of the clientele i see on the three days i work is of the older generation and I have discussed and chatted with alot of them about what services i offer but they dont appear interested as alot of them do gardening and dont want to worry about their nails or have broken nails and dont want to bother looking after. Have offered free heated mitt treatments to some of the customers but none have wanted more.

Feel uncertain as to how much to push my services onto others as i dont want to appear over pushy and want to ensure my clients want the treatment and will be regulars once received.

Thanks again

Sharon

Hiya

Are you sure this is the right clientelle for you?? If i was you i would get out there and hand out flyers and cards, do some highprofile peoples nails for free in exchange for them passing your cards along. (eg Shop workers ie next, local boutiques ect)
Dont rely on the hair salon to get you trade i have a hair and beauty salon and to be honest some of the beauty client dont have their hair done with us and visa versa.
You could ask the hairsalon to go halves on a leaflet drop with you if the could use the extra customers too one half of the leaflet for you the other for them.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back