No shows rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ficklbum

Reaction score
sorry. its just a rant. how do you guys deal with no shows? it infuriates me. like why do people just assume that because i work from my home that its ok to just not show up. none of my current clients do it, its just when i get new, especially when they are people who i have never met or werent referred by someone else. i have bills to pay and i would much rather spend my time with my daughter but i put time aside to do nails and make money. i feel it would at least be decent to send me a text and say you cant make it, even if you simply spaced it. i space things all the time. but when i send you a message to see if your coming when its past your appointment and you dont EVER respond... thats just rude. i understand if something came up or something happened and your not able to get to your phone but shoot me a text when you can to at least have the courtesy to let me know you are ok. its even more annoying when someone no call no shows and then messages you a week later asking to reschedule without even apologizing or explaining. i usually will reschedule a no show one more time, after that i wont. unless they had a good reason. ugh. i am just so annoyed right now. pregnancy horomones arent helping. i could go on.
actually i will.
i scheduled someone on tuesday night at 4 and her friend at 630 (both in their 30's so should be reasonable adults, right?) BOTH dont show. so i get a text from one of them on thursday, asking me ot schedule her two daughters for friday, again, no apology, no explanation. so i schedule her two daughters and they show up friday, do both of their nails, and she asks in between their sets if i can squeeze her in that night because they are going out of town saturday. so, even though i told her i wont be done with current clients til after nine, she says she will take it. so when she comes to pick up her daughters she tells me she will just pay for both of them and hers when she comes that night. so i get done with my other clients and let her know i am ready for her, its like 845, then 9 rolls around and i havent heard anything, so i send her another text to see if she is coming and i get nothing... then at 11 she sends me a text and only says "sorry, can i just bring you the money for my girls before we leave in the morning at 7". so i agree and say thats fine.
next morning comes and i get up before my kiddo so i can take the money without waking her up. she NEVER came. so since i know she is on vacation i decide to be decent and wait til they get back (her daughters told me when they would be back). to the next week rolls by and i wait til the following tuesday to message her and ask her to get the money to me, and if it would be easier for her to transfer it. she told me she doesnt have the same bank as me (even though her first appointment with me she paid with her card and it is the same bank as me) so she said she would bring it by that night at 8. we had plans that night but i made sure we were home by 8 for her to give it to us. she never came. and again no call no text nothing. then she texts me a few days later and says she will bring it by that night at 8... and did the same thing. i finally had had enough and decided i didnt care if she flippen brang it ever. then a week and a half later she shows up on my doorstep, RINGS the doorbell at 1130 pm. and has the cash. like are you kidding me. she didnt even tell me she was coming, knows i have a baby, so why she rang the doorbell. like BLAHHHHHH and now she wants me to reschedule her.

Sorry that your pregnancy hormones are running riot and you may not want to hear this, but your clients do this because you let them.
I totally understand that you don't want to lose clients but after one no show that is as rude as you say - no text, no apology, not even acknowledging they have missed an appointment - I would say "I'll book you in again but if you don't contact me to cancel or change your appointment, there will be a charge for the missed appointment" . Even if she doesn't pay you, she now knows the rules and you simply refuse to book her in. And next time you tell them that you won't finish until 9, and they say "I'll see you at 9 then" you simply say "no I'm busy then".

Many many people write about this problem. It does happen in salons, but not so much but finally I would never let a client leave without paying. With a woman like this, I'm just glad you got your money.

Next time just say you'll take payment now.

If you don't treat it like a proper business, why should your clients.

Good luck. It can be very empowering saying "no" to people!

Vic x

I guess I need to stop being a door mat. I get it from my mom. I can't tell people no. Bah.

I'm the same.. I'm so bad at being firm with people. I need to grow a pair I think! I had a first time client - she knows my mom but only very casually. Anyway, her first appointment she had glitter and stamping and my price list which is stuck on my lamp very clearly says cnd / gel II manicure / pedicure £20, glitter, additives extra etc 50p per nail and underneath that stamping extra 50p per nail. Anyway, finished her service, she was very happy and then she pulls out £20 and says "thanks darling - keep the change" and walks out!! So I lost out on an extra £10!!! And I was too shocked and embarrassed to say anything so I just let her go! Anyway, she was a problem client. She would make her appointment and then after I'd been waiting for her for 15 minutes she would call and say she had the gas man coming so couldn't make it . On Three different occasions I text her after she was 15 mins late only for her to tell me she was round the corner - once I waited a further 1.5 hours for her to turn up. Another time she was an hour late and the third time she was 40 mins late despite saying she was "round the corner". Because I had just started my business I wasn't very busy and she knew that and I also couldn't afford to turn down an appointment even when she was still only paying her £20 for glitter / stamping / Swarovski crystals. (Obviously because I let t go the first time I didn't know how to charge her more).

Basically I was a push over and I was embarrassed and disgusted by my own behavior!! If I didn't stand up for myself and the money I was owed then obviously she was going to take advantage of me!

Well one day I had enough and she text me at 3pm and wanted an appointment within the next hour and i said i was busy. And a few weeks after that she text again for an appointment on a Saturday but I was not working that day and I told her that and I haven't heard from her since. And you know what? I'm way better off without her!

We need to be firm. Like Vic said if we don't treat it like a proper business then clients won't xx

You could try a strike system, 3 strikes and they're gone forever and are never going back in that appointment book unless they grovel and are willing to leave a 50% deposit!

Sorry that sounds really angry [emoji4] they're just so infuriating! X

This really p***** me off!!!! How can people not expect to pay after an appointment?! It's like going to tescos for milk and bread and saying the them "do you Mind if I pay tomorrow?" It doesn't happen!
People are so rude! I had a client not turn up a few times and all she kept saying was sorry I'm so sorry so I booked her in one last time and she failed AGAIN! So I told her I'm not booking her in anymore unless she pays me the full amount upfront!!! Haven't seen her since [emoji57] xx

This really p***** me off!!!! How can people not expect to pay after an appointment?! It's like going to tescos for milk and bread and saying the them "do you Mind if I pay tomorrow?" It doesn't happen!
People are so rude! I had a client not turn up a few times and all she kept saying was sorry I'm so sorry so I booked her in one last time and she failed AGAIN! So I told her I'm not booking her in anymore unless she pays me the full amount upfront!!! Haven't seen her since [emoji57] xx
YES!! And this goes for 'friends' that think they can have freebies!! They're not friends if they're not willing to support your business and think they're entitled to mates rates or just free treatments.

Ahhhh I need to read this thread next time I have a no show or last minute cancellation to ensure I'm not a complete soppy push over!!!

Must remember 'if you don't treat it like a business then your clients wont'

XX

Urgh!! I do hair not nails. But I've just had a £100 client not turn up.
[emoji35]

And I'm coming in extra tomorrow for another colour because I can't fit her in for weeks [emoji35][emoji35]
And she lives too far away to ask her to come in now!! [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

So rude! Is she a regular?

In my last job I started implementing a non refundable 50% booking fee for treatments over £50 x

She's regular for cut and finish. Not for colour.

Do you not find that puts people off?

Latest posts

Back