No skin fun in the sun

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apricot

Reaction score
Advice sought please!!

Whenever I am exposed to hot or sunny weather I experience a major breakout of white pustules all over my chin and nose. The pustules are soft and easy to extract, but leave my complexion looking dreadful until they clear up (who wants to wear foundation on holiday?) This started a couple of years ago. I have combination skin, have tried over and under moisturisation, good spf's, frequent exfoliation etc etc and am at my wits end. I love my holidays but this is totally ruining them. My therapist has advised me to ask you guys for help. Any advice please?

I'm no expert but i would take a guess and say if its when you are on holiday in hot climates then your skin is releasing oils and sweat and then your skin is absorbing it all causing the pustules
i would go to your GP and explain what you are experiencing as they can prescribe medication to help with this

This sounds like tropical acne and should be treated in the same way as other types of acne, by your doctor and your beauty therapist. As it is triggered by the heat the only way to prevent this would be to avoid the heat. This is not practical as you enjoy your holidays. If you can get a good facial routine going including a good exfoliation stage you should be able to minimise the extent of the breakouts, this may mean having an extra routeen for your holidays. I know you already have a good routeen but you may find you need to change to a new skin care line while away, as your skin can get used to the same products making them less effective over time. Make sure you really slap on the sun protection spf30+ and try to keep cool as it's over productive sweat and oil glands that are causing the problems.

As loubylou says visit your doctor.

Take a look at this:

Acne: Free Encyclopedia Articles at Questia.com Online Library

Thanks LoubyLou & Weezie for your speedy responses.

I never realised that 'Tropical Acne' existed but, in relation to the details described in the attached, it sounds like this is the culprit. I have just started having monthly Nimue facials and have invested in thier exfoliation cream, but I think a visit to the GPs would also be beneficial. Unfortunaletly this doesnt just happen on holiday, but any on many occasins when we get hot or humid weather in the UK (Ok so not much at the moment!!) So I end up going to work with an unsightly complexion.

Thanks for your help!:confused:

The pustules are soft and easy to extract, but leave my complexion looking dreadful until they clear up

Hi Apricot, well what's happening to you really doesn't sound like fun, if you were my client I would probably advise you not to squeeze them. It's OK to extract blackheads, (although I would recommend this is done by a professional), but pustules are another matter, squeezing them will make the complexion look dreadful. No-one wants pustules but seriously they heal up a lot quicker if you don't touch them.:hug:

My sister gets something similar to what you described. She also gets this 'rash' on her lips and chin. She has had this reaction to the sun ever since she was a child. It is very similar to a herpes, believe it or not. She get treated with a medicated cream called zovorix which dries up the little blisters in a few days. She also says that the rash is VERY itchy and she can usually feel when it's coming on. She uses SPF but she has to be careful what she uses on her face as she has roscea. HTH

Thanks everyone, for some really helpful advice, comments and suggestions. With a Sunny weekend predicted, please keep your fingers crossed for me.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back