No training... smart or stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Training... smart or stupid?

• smart?

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • stupid?

Votes: 510 96.0%

• Total voters
Also as we have technicians from all over the World, their diplomas and certificates would all be different - no one would be expected to know what each and every one means.

Also the level of training in each country is different, for example in the UK you do not need to do ANY training whatsoever to become a nail technician - very sad but true. So you can go and buy a pot of gel and any old lamp and call yourself a gel nail technician.

what idiots put smart??

how is it smart not to have training??

would y be smart if u decided 2 b a doctor without training?

would u swim the channel without training? urr no. id like those 3 who did say smart to come fwd and show urseves

Hi ya guys
Just wanted to say it took me years just to pluck up the courage to do the training, so to imagine doing people's nails without the qualifications, is beyond me. These so called Nail Techs are a disgrace to our profession :mad:
I have only been qualified a year and it still worries me that there is so much to learn It'll take me forever, but I stride on.
Anyway a big hand to all of us real professionals :hug:
Cath xxx

Education and training makes a smart technician.

No education and no training makes a stupid technician.

to the people who voted for smart,as fiona or sandi said they are sticking thier fingers up at true professionals who are willing to learn,and learn,and learn!!

Whew what a whopper of a debate
I initially got a bit scared because I'm new at doing acrylics:cry:
and I think its because when you are new you tend to think things like OMG what if Ive done something wrong ?
and then I thought
(ooo I bought my trainer hand and practice nails off eBay ) should I dive for cover now? :lol:

Anyway I remembered that I have my Manicure and pedicure IHBC which comforted me a little,

but just because I have my mani and pedi certificate does not make me any better at applying acrylic or gel nails .

But may I say without mentioning any names (as its a small world )
I wanted to further my training so I paid for quite an expensive Acrylic and powder training course and although it taught me some things
in theory ,
I was honestly bitterly disappointed with the nail practice I was taught,
I was disgusted at the amount of times she drew blood and sliced into and beyond the cuticles with a file, (quite deepish too.):eek: honestly my bottom cringed
I was so glad she didn't file on my nails.

Then my nail buddy for the day who was also learning, (another one the teacher drew blood on )got all huffy because I told her I didn't want the blood stained file used on on me!
So she turned it upside down and declared ,"well I'm not throwing it away I only just bought it",
And the teacher said nothing.

I have my so called certificate but I am not really very proud of it
I have so much more to learn . and I would not dream of charging clients until I have perfected my techniques to a quality standard , It looks like I wont be happy until I have Re trained with Creative and then Bio or Calgel when I can afford it.
until then I still love to learn and play with my products and ask you guys things,

And I have learned such a lot from all you nail geeks: Geeg , JDs, blossom, loobyloo, nail zoo guy, little pink fairy Val , custom colour blending
and loads of others who's posts I have read (thanks guys for sharing )

I am sure all the other genuine newbies appreciate all you guys giving us so much info you must repeat yourselves so much.

I can understand that all you want in return is for newbies to be training or heading towards it as soon as finances allow .
Am I right in saying you get angry because the thought of training has not even crossed some peoples minds?
but the money is still crossing their palms because they charge ?:eek:
and they are picking your brains to do this?:irked:

If so I can well understand

Hello,

I read with great interest all the posts concerning the untrained so called nail-techs ! I belong to a french nail techs forum styliste ongulaire
where I try to fight the same thing !!

Most of our members agree of course ! and as you all said we paid a lot of money to get trained ! and give good service to our clients !

My anger is even deeper as my daughter and myself are running a nail school in the south of France and we did get a few students thinking they could make nails because they had been going for 6 years to have their nails done ! so they could do the same ! once at the table with the instructor they could realise they knew nothing ! and they just had to forget the bad habits taken during their self training !!!

My daughter is a Master Artist for EZFLOW and IBD and for 4 years she regularly gets
trained 2 to 3 time a year to get higher levels and be able to teach new technics all that is not free as you all know but we still do it for the benefit of our students and we are proud of it.

A lack of regulations in our country contribute of course to this kind of things ! nevertheless I will be fighting those so called nail techs ! and not answer their questions on our forum, not later than yesterday I wrote an angry post and got a very good feed back from other techs !

You cannot prevent them to come and read on your forum but your are not forced to answer their question ! In the states they do like that !!! so why not here !

Otherwise I take a great interest in coming and reading your posts your forum is a great forum and very often I am refering to it on my own forum !

Do not hesitate to come on our forum as you may come across a lot of nail art
we are really specializing in it and read some great posts too ! if you need some translation I will be more than delighted to help you !

SYLVIE
DAPHNE
EZFLOW & IBD Master Artist 2004 -2005-2006-2007

NailTechAcademie

[email protected]

styliste ongulaire

A bit of EDYOOKAYSHUN never goes
astray!!

Took me a while to figure out what you meant EDYOOKAYSHUN:lol:
I actually thought it was ED YOU OK SON in slang:confused:
my brain sometimes go's at a snails pace yes totally agree
I cant stop giggling now :lol:

Whew what a whopper of a debate
It turned into a fab debate, I'm pleased it's been bumped up again (thanks to the poll) :green:

Am I right in saying you get angry because the thought of training has not even crossed some peoples minds?
but the money is still crossing their palms because they charge ?:eek:
and they are picking your brains to do this?:irked:

If so I can well understand
Yes, somewhat... but moreso because untrained 'technicians' are performing treatments with no knowledge of nail diseases and contraindications etc.
Who's to say they use sanitiser on their tools etc?
Who's to say that they even think about sanitising tools/abrasives etc in between clients?

I've just read through this thread from the start... we've got some passionate nail technicians on this site :hug:
It was excellent reading and is a thread that I personally hope will continue to be added to in the future.

hi i too am on the fence as well i have no formal certificates of training as i do for hair and beauty BUT i was trained by a salon owner highly qulified in all areas of manacure and enhancement qualified in creative and bio, she took me through hygine, application and nail problems for approx 3 months, does this mean i am qualified to do the job or not ???

hi i too am on the fence as well i have no formal certificates of training as i do for hair and beauty BUT i was trained by a salon owner highly qulified in all areas of manacure and enhancement qualified in creative and bio, she took me through hygine, application and nail problems for approx 3 months, does this mean i am qualified to do the job or not ???
If you haven't got a certificate then you won't be able to purchase pro products from the major distributors, ie Creative, EZFlow, NSI, OPI etc
That doesn't mean to say you can't do the job, just that you've not got an accredited certificate.

Hi Lilly. Thanks for partaking in this discussion.

Are you still employed by that same person or now employed/self employed elsewhere?

hi there, i am now self employed but do have insurance for nails hair and beauty but still feel that i would like to do some sort or course to aquire a cert, i can see where your all comming from because i find it frustrating when the tech who trained me who has NEVER had ANY hairdressing training talks a good haircut and colour but her work is very sub standard and doesnt know the first thing about the chemicals she's using or scalp/hair probs.

hi there, i am now self employed but do have insurance for nails hair and beauty but still feel that i would like to do some sort or course to aquire a cert, i can see where your all comming from because i find it frustrating when the tech who trained me who has NEVER had ANY hairdressing training talks a good haircut and colour but her work is very sub standard and doesnt know the first thing about the chemicals she's using or scalp/hair probs.

Good on you for wanting to now make your nail training more official and certified and I am absolutely sure you will still gain so much out of the training than you realise.

What products are you using while you are waiting to do your certified training?

hi, i was using bio ordered through the tech that trained me but i didnt want to be dependent on her to pick up stock for me as it was as much inconvienient for her as it was for me so i have just started using Akzentz (mainly options )and i have to say i think its great !

hiya xx will your insurance cover you for nails with no cert...?? i know they have already given you insurance but what i mean is...if (hope not) something does happen regarding nails and you need your insurance cover...they will ask for a copy of your cert....what happens then. x

hi, i have a cert for star nails which i did a long long time ago, but i want to renew it for something better known and quaility

I traned at Kingston College for my nail course and i loved it becosue you meet new peeps and had fun traning. :lol:

this peeps stop there just lavey not doing the traning or don't what to pay morny for the traning becouse it to much morny.:cry:

I traned at Kingston College for my nail course and i loved it becosue you meet new peeps and had fun traning. :lol:

this peeps stop there just lavey not doing the traning or don't what to pay morny for the traning becouse it to much morny.:cry:

Sorry cosmicbae. Not quite sure what you are actually saying in your second paragraph. If it is text talk then we ask younot to use it on here, but if it is not then could you please explain what you mean.

Sorry i mean people who do not tran are lazy or don't want have pay the money becouse it is to much money.:rolleyes::cry:

Latest posts

Back