No waiting room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmadorney

Reaction score
Morning guys so I’m setting up a nail / beauty room from home in my spare room , Iv had a booking for 2 massages (best friends ) Iv told them I have no waiting room so it may be best to come a hour apart but they are happy to just wait in the same room while I’m massaging the other , I’m thinking this is unprofessional but they said they will be comming in one can and both happy to do so ? What’s your thoughts I was wondering what others do that have this problem ?

Yes, I hate it when two friends want to come together for treatments too. I think they have this image that they will be chatting away to each other as they are massaged like they see on the telly! Obviously, as therapists this is the last thing we want as they don't relax, move about and keep checking their phones.

Here is how I deal with it at my home based salon:

1. I lie and say I have only 2 spaces left that day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon so I can't do consecutive appointments.
  2. Only say I can do 2 back massages consecutively and put one client in the lounge with a coffee and magazines swapping over at half time.
To be honest though, my days of doing two full massages one after another are gone

Thats weird. Who goes for a massage to chat and check their phone?
Just tell them you’re not able to accommodate their request because your insurance won’t cover having an extra person in the therapy room, or maybe something similar.

Yes, I hate it when two friends want to come together for treatments too. I think they have this image that they will be chatting away to each other as they are massaged like they see on the telly! Obviously, as therapists this is the last thing we want as they don't relax, move about and keep checking their phones.

Here is how I deal with it at my home based salon:

1. I lie and say I have only 2 spaces left that day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon so I can't do consecutive appointments.
  2. Only say I can do 2 back massages consecutively and put one client in the lounge with a coffee and magazines swapping over at half time.
To be honest though, my days of doing two full massages one after another are gone

Thanku do you not worie about them being in ur lounge and looking around your house while your not there in the same room? Am I just being over the top lol xx

Thats weird. Who goes for a massage to chat and check their phone?
Just tell them you’re not able to accommodate their request because your insurance won’t cover having an extra person in the therapy room, or maybe something similar.

Yes I should have said that but I’m just starting up and didn’t want to turn ppl away or have them go else where x

Thanku do you not worie about them being in ur lounge and looking around your house while your not there in the same room? Am I just being over the top lol xx

No, they don’t go wandering around.
I close all other doors off the hallway so if they did try to go elsewhere then I would hear the sound of the door handles turning.

You're all very lovely.

Sorry but I wouldn't trust a stranger in my living room, client or not. It's also my living area and out of bounds to clients for any reason. So I would likely say I have no waiting area, but I could put a chair outside the treatment room door or I can point you in the way of a lovely coffee shop whilst she's waiting.

A lot depends on the layout of your house and where your treatment room is in relation to where they might sit and wait.
I think you do have to trust clients to a certain extent. After all you are about to carry out a consultation on them finding out their name, address and medical history. They have to trust you to offer this information.
If you offer a waiting area then you obviously furnish it accordingly with nothing precious on view. You can also install a camera linked to your phone, if you were really concerned, that starts recording when it senses movement. You can buy these quite cheaply on the internet.
If you have business insurance on your house and contents, you are usually covered in the event of theft too, not you'd want it to ever happen of course.
Personal safety is perhaps the bigger discussion here...

Do you have space in your treatment room for one to sit in a corner and wait? I’m just thinking if the clients (after all they are the ones paying for the treatments) are happy to have their friend there and have a chat then maybe just go with it? I’ve had loads of people come for treatments together for birthday treats etc and even though I have a waiting room, they always want to sit together because it’s nice for them. Makes a day of it I suppose..? Also, if they chat to each other, that’s up them. I personally like it.. cheers my day up a bit hearing all of the gossip x

Do you have space in your treatment room for one to sit in a corner and wait? I’m just thinking if the clients (after all they are the ones paying for the treatments) are happy to have their friend there and have a chat then maybe just go with it? I’ve had loads of people come for treatments together for birthday treats etc and even though I have a waiting room, they always want to sit together because it’s nice for them. Makes a day of it I suppose..? Also, if they chat to each other, that’s up them. I personally like it.. cheers my day up a bit hearing all of the gossip x

Yes I have a chair in there aswell so they could sit there I think this is is the best option as that’s what they want and I don’t want them sitting alone in other rooms my room is a spare bedroom like U said if they r happy doing this they need I’ll just go with it thanku that was helpful x

Yes I should have said that but I’m just starting up and didn’t want to turn ppl away or have them go else where x
If you make allowances now they will expect this always.
Ask yourself if you wish to continue with this arrangement once you have more bookings/clients.

Latest posts

Back