Nobody's mentioned............the NVQ (Maybe just as well!!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppercorn Nails

Reaction score
Hello all and sundry

I seem to go through phases of thinking 'Yes, I'll do my NVQ' to 'Not so sure at the moment'.

It's been said that the Unit 19 of NVQ Beauty Therapy 3 is going to change and become a specific NVQ specially dedicated to Nails. Can someone please tell me when this is going to happen, and if it's going to change within the next year am I worth waiting.

Another thing, if I decide to take my unit 19 and then next year the new NVQ comes into play, will I then have to do that one as well?

Thanks all, Adele

Hi Adele,

I looked at doing the NVQ recently and decided that it was probably in the region of £300 better spend growing my business. If you have done quality training then what is the NVQ going to give you to improve your business?

As has been discussed under Education - you are probably better to stick with a product line you know and love and do all of that Company's training to give you the skills to do really well.

If you were an educator or looking for a job in a salon or hire your own staff then possible you would be better to get all the bits of paper you can.

There has been a lot of talk over the years about have legislation to insist we are all licensed and have our NVQ but although individual councils may insist - can you see the Politicians on those large leather benches discussing bombing Sadman then in the next breath saying now we will discuss nails - I dont think so but hey who knows.

Hi Fiona

Crikey, I didn't realise it would take that much, and I suppose there's always the possibility it might take more depending on number of assessments, etc :?

I've done my training with Creative (as you probably know) and am really happy with that and will continue with various classes throughout the year.

No I think you're right at the moment, maybe it's just as well to carry on with these at the moment and see what develops over the next couple of years.

Adele

Peppercorn Nails said:
It's been said that the Unit 19 of NVQ Beauty Therapy 3 is going to change and become a specific NVQ specially dedicated to Nails. Can someone please tell me when this is going to happen, and if it's going to change within the next year am I worth waiting.

Another thing, if I decide to take my unit 19 and then next year the new NVQ comes into play, will I then have to do that one as well?

In answer to Q. No1. The wheels within the government system grind exceedingly slowly, and no one can tell you exactly when we will get our own NVQ specific to nails but it will happen and is being worked on at the moment.

Q. No2. No, You would not have to re-take your qualification once gained.

The NVQ is all about submitting evidence and if you have had good quality education and saved your course notes and any tests, THAT is evidence. Client record cards are Evidence. You can be assessed on the job and it needn't cost hundreds to do it. Go see an advisor, show him/her the evidence that you have (certificates, letters from clients, record cards etc) and they will tell you what you have to do. Sometimes it is not very much. It is possible to 'fast track' if you have been in the business for a number of years. NO ONE expects you to start again from scratch like a beginner when you have been working in the industry for years.

For instance, I got my NVQ Unit 19 (and a load more actually) after one assessment with an advisor, because I had a tonne of evidence to prove I had covered the criteria needed to gain the qualification. All I had to do was put my evidence in a portfolio for the Assessor to see and that was it.
Cost me abot £50.

Although the NVQ is not required in all areas, once you've got it, you've got it and it's done with, if YOUR local council decides to insist that all technicians have it.

hi geeg
can you help me please as i am a little confused at the moment i am at college doing the Advanced Nail Techniques Diploma so do i still need to do an NVQ and the unit 19 ????

I have also just rang designer nails for the info on master classes so i hope to be doing those next.
I do love to do the training but which do i really need ??

:?

Hi Caroline,

To be realistic... No one NEEDS the NVQ except those working within Westminster City Council (Greater London). There may be more councils that demand this qualification but I am not aware having been away for a bit now. Anyway, unless other councils follow suit, and there hasn't been any great sign of it yet, then you don't NEED it. But some people are of the opinion that it WILL come to the point where it will be mandatory in the same way as lisencing is in the states so the sooner one gets it overwith the better, cause you won't have to do it again.

I did it to see what the process was like and what was involved. The most diffucult thing was putting the portfolio of evidence together - all that cross referencing!! Paper pushing.

Does this answer your question? :?:

Creative Master classes actually go way BEYOND the material that is included in the NVQ so it won't do you anything but good to attend them when ever you see fit. My advice is keep everything that you could ever use to proove that you know your stuff when it comes to nail technology - test papers from college , certificates, letters form satisfied clients, cards etc. All of it can go into yourportfolio of evidence should you decide or be forced :p to do it.

hi geeg

thanks once again for your great advice my next move IS to do the master classes but do i need to do the pre masters first or just do the master classes

:D

The Premaster class is designed to get technicians who want to do Master Classes, but are not familiar with Creative products, up and running with CND products and how they work best, BEFORE they attend the core classes.

If you have already done your training with Creative, then there is no need to do a Pre Master class. :p

thanks geeg

i think i know where i'm going now

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back