non acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle g

Reaction score
Just been looking on a website called hooked on nails,and was suprised to see that they do not recommend non accetone remover on nail enhancements.I was looking on he homecare section.

I have read that somewhere this week as well, but i cant remember where. They also were saying that Non acetone removers are just a farce?????

I have always been told that Non acetone is better for the natural nails as well as enhancements?????:irked:

If you are going to use remover to take off polish and you do have enhancements it is better to use non-acetone, because acetone is what is used to remove enhancements, if you have enhancements and you use pure acetone to take off polish etc, you will weaken the enhancement.

If you soak your nails in non-acetone, not much damage will ensue, but if you soak them in acetone your enhancements will begin to melt away.

Hope I shed some light.

With the amount of time it takes to remove polish with non acetone in comparison to the shorter amount of time with acetone they both end up haveing exactly the same effect.

Non acetone will melt acrylic over time.

Save your money and space and just use acetone.

I would never recommend using acetone on nail enhancements it WILL cause product breakdown over time. Non acetone for enhancements :wink2:

Being new to nails in general I bought both. I have no enhancements. I find it takes way longer to take polish off with non-acetone, BUT when I use acetone I get very dry around my cuticle, and much more splitting near the sides of my nail. I stick to non-acetone. I soak a few seconds then wipe.

Thanks or all your replys,i was also taught only to use non accetone and always have.was just curious after seing that website.

I agree with Leli.......i always use and advise non acetone on natural as well as enhancements.

Have you ever tried Ezflows non-acetone remover?
Its fab removes most polishes in a swipe!
Hope this helps
:D

taintz said:
With the amount of time it takes to remove polish with non acetone in comparison to the shorter amount of time with acetone they both end up haveing exactly the same effect.

Non acetone will melt acrylic over time.

Save your money and space and just use acetone.
I am with taintz on this one, as i was told a few years ago to use acetone to remove polish fast and no damage done, although I would reccomend that if clients want to remove their polish that they use non acetone as it is less drying. just my thoughts, but others will say different i am sure.:wink2:

jac extreme said:
I am with taintz on this one, as i was told a few years ago to use acetone to remove polish fast and no damage done, although I would reccomend that if clients want to remove their polish that they use non acetone as it is less drying. just my thoughts, but others will say different i am sure.:wink2:
I agree with you Jac... as a technician doing a nail service then using acetone to remove polish is ok as we're quick and know what we're doing... as for a client, they should be advised to purchase non acetone polish remover.
at the end of the day we all know that acetone is very drying to the nail and surrounding skin, most of us use Solar oil (or a similar product) during our services, therefore rehydrating the skin etc etc, can we guarantee that our clients are doing the same? NO we can't.

jac extreme said:

i use acetone in salon on my clients to remove polish (saves so much time!)but i advise my clients to use non acetone... i know what im doing when removing polish where as a client mite go a bit mad and leave it there just that bit too long!....lol
also itd fab to retail them some ezflow remover... love the smell of that stuff, pineapple or rainforest scent......nice in weird way :lol:

Jess
xox

Using acetone should be ok if you wash your nails afterwards right? I know it takes a LONG time to melt acrylics (after doing it myself last year) so it's not likely to melt right away.

Even on my natural nails, I washed my nails/hands after removing polish anyway, as what's the point of putting a new coat of nail polish right on top of drying remover?

I buy nailpolish remover for nailenhancements from the creative distributor here in Sweden. It is their own product but it still contains acetone...i was a bit surprised first aswell...

I am going to ask them a bit more about it when i visit them again.

It,s probably ok or else they wouldn,t sell it i supose

We got a notice from OPI recently that non acetone polish remover will be illegal in the state of California beginning with the new year. It was in response to the Air Resources Board deeming it a cause of air pollution, I believe.

S

If a client uses acetone remover on a soak off gel, it will do damage right away. The shine will be gone and it will start to weaken, even with a swipe. It's fine on buff off though.

I recommend always non acetone to be on the safe side. I love the Bio polish remover (smells good too) but it's a little too pricey for clients!

OK I did a little experiment, since all of my nails are lifting anyway I tried the acetone. It has definitely thinned the pink acrylic - almost by half! It looks much better actually but I wont use it again as I don't want them to break before my infills.

I can't believe how quickly it happened. My last nails took 2-3 hours to soak off so now I'm wondering if they were MMA!

Last edited:
Stick to Non Acetone for now Hun!

Stevie

Definitely will :)

Latest posts

Back